Forum

Meld dig ind i fællesskabet
Meld dig indLog ind

For the Tesla Gen III, what 100 new features would you like to imagine or see available ?

Teslarians, what futuristic, hitech, game changer, ultra green, uber-cool, alto safety, mass production friendly, cost reducing, profit increasing features should Tesla's next generation, Gen III, vehicle have ? Also include Model C, S & X.

Whether large or small, simple or complex, technical or not, what are your ideas ?

To get started, here are some thoughts:

1) Put see through glass Tesla Shield  
   on hood  made of painted glass. The
   shield and letter T are left clear glass 
   and shows off the frunk by day. At 
   night a Hue light , with millions of 
   color variations can can be turn on 
   inside the frunk to light up the shield 
   and T during night driving. 

http://www.meethue.com/en-US

2) Have detachable Household AC plug  
 battery  packs near base of seats  
 powered by solar panels on roof.

3) Anti crash system stops car from
  running into things. Qualifies for   
  insurance discount?

4) Retractable semi-opaque, tinted sun
 visors controlled by button on
 steering wheel similar to pulling down  
 a window shade electronically. It's 
 more functional because it allows the 
 driver to control visor on driver's 
 window, passenger window, and both 
 sides of the windshield. Could this be the world's best sun visor?

5) Have all wheels turn to 90 degrees,
  great for parallel parking. Have car
  capable of self parking.

6) Create @tesla/talk.car Internet
    extension  for car related services 
    only to compliment .com sites. 

The .car extensions have voice only interface, with limited button pushing similar to a radio, no texting except through voice to text.

7) Shape the red tail lights as close
  as possible to the Tesla T Logo.
  Red led lights across bumper under
  the plate spell out Tesla Motors EV
  and highlight when brakes applied.

8) Equip Gen III with two sliding doors
  or 4 regular doors. To create
  easier access the opening door
  includes 1/3 of the roof. Also press a
  button in the door jamb to slide the
  front seats forward.

A variation of this, have 1/3 strip of 
   roof retract toward the center of the 
   roof when you open the door.

9 ) NFD Near Field Discounts auction.
  Type in lunch etc. 5 miles distance, 
  2hrs for exa and nearby Merchants 
  continuously update bids against  
  each other on giving you    
  discounts for lunch.

10) KeyPay/CarPal digitized keychain 
      can be used to pay electronically, 
      and receits  are tagged& organized 
      into personal & business categories 
      for taxes. Syncs with smartphone 
      app and car consol to store info on the web.

11) Computerized self parking, both 
      back in and parallel .

Nantang, what company or government agency do you work for? Thanks

Details, details ...

Nantang,

If only Tesla could electrify the best of Mercedes and Toyota cars with the best of Tesla technology. Although Tesla may be behind in some tech and options, they will catch up in time, as noted in their interest in driverless cars.

Until then, I feel your extra safety features pain. Of all your suggestions, I think the driver alertness monitor would score high on a Tesla list of additions in the near future. Tesla really covets a safety reputation. That feature is interesting because they could marry it to other call features like video calling or as I suggested, driver facial recognition to prevent thefts. And as another commentator suggested, auto set custom settings for different drivers through facial recognition. In other words, more bang for the Tesla R&D buck.

Here's a link to the BMW i3 concept coup, (lots of marketing fluff),supposedly coming out soon and starting at $60k from what I hear.

http://www.bmw-i-usa.com/en_us/bmw-i3/?WT.mc_id=net-img_ggl_us_phase3&no...

Maybe BMW reads this thread since BMW uses a term I previously coined in this thread about a "Life Drive" (see page 3 of this thread, Tesluthian | January 31, 2013.)

BMW is now using this term "Life Drive" in their marketing although with a totally different meaning/definition, see link above.

For that $60k price, I think Americans would prefer a full size MS 60kWh starting at about the same price. However, this BMW i3 may be designed more for Europe where some cities & city streets were designed for horses not cars. City traffic can be both tight & congested.

That's another reason I think some of the coming Tesla Gen III model designs could be multitasked and made into super Luxury models, where I define luxury as 400-500 miles per electric charge. Europe and Asia, are more comfortable with smaller cars for practical reasons. Perhaps we should call this "Electric Luxury Range" that has no range anxiety. Elon is on record as saying it is possible, just expensive. I think it's important to put a no range anxiety All Electric Vehicle on the market as soon as possible to show the masses what's possible and what's coming.

Upon further research , I see BMW has been using the term "Life Drive" for at least a couple years now. See my comment above. I guess I channeled it from the ether somewhere. So to maintain my thread integrity I'm changing my page 3 term to "Life Time Hard Drive". Penance done.

Hello,

I am a student at Southwest Baptist University and I recently did a speech on renewable energy and its applications. I came across the "Tesla car" during my research from watching a TED talk and I got very excited and interested. My thoughts and questions on the Tesla model s or future gens are 1. are they planning to make it easy for the super charge system available a large amount of people at one time considering it takes 30 min for half a charge. and 2. Has the thought come across anybody's mind of installing a type of solar panel on the roof of the car, to somehow connect it to the engine with a possible charging system while driving making it possible for longer travels without starts. or implementing multiple batteries in the engine in combination with a solar panel on the roof to maximize distance? also 3. How about possible an electric truck to give people more of an option ???

Concas is spot on! There needs to be a third party App that will allow the entire screen to have a K.I.T.T. "wrapper" laid over it complete with William Daniel's voice! Not gonna lie, I would spend big bucks for that app if it actually was smart enough to handle all the various systems and do voice commands ("siri tech").

1. Since cabin heating and cooling uses a lot of power, I'd like to see an electric, heatable front windshield like the mini has.
2. Tesla styling has been very good, so I'm confident they will keep it up.
3. Interior material quality has really been lacking in most entry luxury class (eg Benz C-class, Lexus IS) I'd like to see similar quality transferred to genIII from MS

Above all though: range and price, but that has been confirmed by Mr Musk;)

@Tesluthian - OK this has been bugging me and I'm suprised Brian H. hasn't already called you out on it. There is no such place on earth called the "Artic". The "Arctic" is in the North and the "Antarctic" is in the South. ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic

There are definitely some great ideas here. I don't have any to add that haven't already been suggested.

Cheers!

goneskiian;
Yeah, I'd seen some reference to a commercial site that used that misspelling, and thought that was all that was happening here, but you're right; Telluthian and tdelta both refer to an "Artic" package of options. It's Arctic, of course, as you note.

Ah, yes, although I am not familiar with how the MS does in cold weather, the experience in my Ford this winter (with a regularly frosty windshield) has convinced me that windshield defrosting in ICE cars is pathetic and should be improved on. Basically, with ICE, unless you park in garage or the sun, the only way to combat frost is to idle or drive, although driving is not a safe option until you can see enough through the frost. Either way, you waste fuel and/or compromise safety. Tesla, with massive electric power on hand, has a great opportunity to solve the problem of fog and frost in an impressive way. I'll leave it up to Tesla engineers to figure out the ideal solution, but my suggestion is invisible heating wires in the windshield to defog and even defrost in an instant, right before your eyes or before you even get to your car.

Can the defrost be turned on from the mobile app?

I hope they add a steering wheel heater. My wife's BMW has one and it's awesome.

@goneskian,

Always open to improvement, good spelling equals good culture, especially in these arctically trying times for us all, if you allow the adverb usage ?

@TeslaRocks,

Great idea about targeting defrost, it does take awhile to heat them up, and I haven't heard anyone solve that problem yet, great opportunity for Tesla engineers.

@goneskiian,

I missed an i in your name in that last post.

Your idea to include defrost in the app also an awesome idea.

@BrianH,

It's in the top 100 misspelled words, your work has only just begun.

Maybe clear solar panels on roof connected to windshield defrost system would be a perfect small electrical use for it. It would be on all the time. Many people seem to want that, but don't realize the low amount of electricity a solar roof would generate. Just as much for show as function, a solar roof does seem to generate excitement.

"Tesluthian | APRIL 21, 2013 NEW
@TeslaRocks,

Great idea about targeting defrost, it does take awhile to heat them up, and I haven't heard anyone solve that problem yet, great opportunity for Tesla engineers."

The electric front window defroster has actually been solved by Mini already! See my previous comment. It's only a $200 option on the mini here in Canada.

A couple photos of a luxury Cadillac pickup truck:

http://www.google.com/search?q=cadillac+escalade+pickup+truck+2012&clien...

I'm sure Tesla could improve on this luxury truck.

The problems I see:

1) The cargo bed is too small, expand the cargo bed and eliminate the rear doors. A bigger cargo bed would allow third party development of sleeper cabin attachments on the cargo bed. And leave some room for a 5th wheel in bumper area. This way you can have both : a RV 5th wheel and a cargo bed sleeper.

And of course Tesla could do something else unique, besides a frunk and 17" dash screen , how about cargo bed sidewalls that fold down from the side of the cargo bed instead of just the back tailgate, a side gate ability ? This would give storage area while hauling an RV. Or, side entrance to a sleeper bed while hitched to a flatbed trailer, horse trailer, boat trailer etc. This allows sleeping in the Tesla truck while hauling a trailer.

If used for business's, A Tesla truck would qualify for business deductions, making lease financing more affordable. If the business needs the fifth wheel, cargo bed sidewalls that lower like a tailgate, gives better storage access when hooked to a 5th wheel.

All we need is a battery system that hauls 2-4 tons 500 miles per charge. Any battery designers out there ?

2) The Caddy truck doesnt have dumptruck abilities. A Tesla truck should also have an electric dump truck
ability.

3) The Cadillac truck looks like two different vehicles welded together. It should look more like a truck, not a
limo with a cargo bed welded onto it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg7NeWnN1e4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Good documentary film on Tesla's life. Ironic none of the engineers who worked on his design of the Niagra Power plant thought it would work. Only Tesla himself was sure it would work. Sounds exactly the same as some of Tesla's other unproven ideas he promoted. If only Tesla could have just flipped a switch and proved his ideas work, like he did at the Niagra power plant.

And I think a working miniature Tesla Coil should be made into a hood ornament for the 500 mile battery TM cars which Elon hinted at today, and may be doable soon. Would look cool at night shooting out little lightning bolts.

Inside the car, why not a miniature Tesla Coil mounted on top of the dash. Fine wires embedded in the windshield are heated up wirelessly from mini lightning bolts shooting out from the Tesla coil that heat the wires and defrost the windshield. Amaze your friends like Tesla use to do.

This works when the car is stationary, when the car is moving, the wires are switched over to a conventional wire heating system.

If you buy an Tesla car get a solar roof on your house for free!?!

"A solar roof on your house for free" has been available for a while now. (You sign a lease and only pay bills for cheaper electricity - quite straightforward)

http://www.solarcity.com/residential/solar-lease.asp

SolarCity makes it possible for you to switch to solar power without incurring the high upfront cost. In fact, SolarCity will install your solar system for free! You simply pay for your solar power by the month—just like your utility bill—only lower.

11forin

+1 Can't beat that.

Narrow side windows look good in car design.
Maybe connect side windows with the back window to increasing visibility.

Rethink car seats, maybe adjustable to a more lying position (for sports model/adjustable), different angle.
It feels like car seating haven't changed, been rethought in years.

Sure seats that released back like a recliner, with a place for your feet if you had to take a quick nap on a long trip, would be much more comfortable.

Christmas-tree decoration style-stop lights in Bentley GT always look cheap (and silly) when I see them on the road at night.

http://blog.bespokeventures.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/asi_bentley_r...

http://forums.nicoclub.com/bentley-continental-gt-style-3rd-break-light-... (maybe on Nissan it's ok:/)

I haven't seen Model S in real life, but in photos it seems to have a similar light - make it better, maybe bigger or something but not just a line of small dots...

The back lights otherwise are very important - they make car look good and instantly recognisable. Some manufacturers were completely ignoring this. Look up the first generation Mercedes M Class. This is a newer generation still not much better:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mercedes-Benz_ML_270_CDI_(W_163,_Facelift)_–_Heckansicht,_20._Juni_2011,_Velbert.jpg

Old Maserati 3200 GT was quite distinct:

http://www.motorstown.com/imgs/46290-maserati-gt-3200-4.html

and then something gone wrong in the design department and it went for a common Jaguar look:

http://www.bestcarpic.com/images/tuning-maserati-3200-gt-03.jpg

These days it's better again:

http://s1.aecdn.com/images/news/gallery/maserati-granturismo-mc-stradale...

The lights have to be distinctive. Something like this:

http://www.sturgessgroup.co.uk/alfa-romeo/new-cars/giulietta

Model S back lights are not bad, apart of Christmas lights bit... Leave that to Bentley toy

11forin

I see what you mean about the Xmas tree look at night with led lights.

Ok here's a link to wrap around glass window treatment on a car that 11forin may have been talking about:

http://www.google.com/search?q=car+weap+around+window+designs&ie=UTF-8&o...

If you look closely , the thin metal roof supports are hidden by overlaying the window on top of the steel parts.
I believe 11forin would like a car styled with this glass going all the way around the car. And maybe have the glass a little more narrow for a better look. I agree it could be quite stylish if done right. 11forin suggests the metal parts be as thin as practical for the best panoramic view.

Possibly would look better on a sports car like the Roadster.

For a truly unobstructed panoramic view, you might get away with complete glass bubble top on a smaller car like the Roadster. The whole top would flip open, and then you open the door to get in, all automatic by fob key. Nice easy access. Like driving with the top down all the time, even while raining. And if done right could be very sporty, say a tear drop shaped.

I would guess the glass or clear material would need good thickness to pass safety tests, like rollover test etc with a 5 star safety rating.

Here's something new I have not heard before about an advancement in Electric All Wheel Drive that Tesla is developing for their Model X that is not possible in Ice vehicles' all wheel drive. Elon definitely must of been listening to the winter drivers' desire for cold weather performance. I know I mentioned the ability of the Tesla car's computer should have the ability to put the car in neutral in the event of an acceleration skid. But it looks like Elon has come up with something even better. I did not think this was possible.

He describes it here in this video right around 3 min, 35 seconds.

http://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/tesla-motors-inc-tslas-top-dog-just-dr...

In the event you hit an ice patch/black ice/slippery slow etc, Elon says his Electric All Wheel Drive will have the abilility to shift torque from all wheel drive to the front or back wheel drive instantly wherever the traction is. This will help tremendously with acceleration skids, especially if the system can also shift the wheels to neutral instantly , and/or slow down wheel slippage type spin instantly until traction is gained. The best part is Elon says Ice cars will not be able to do this because their mechanical non-electric motors are too slow. This is something Elon lives for, demonstrating the superiority of all electric motors and cars.

Some examples of correcting acceleration skids with this migrating torque, electric, all wheel drive:

1) Your driving up a snowy hill at 35 mph and start fish tailing and losing traction. The electric all wheel drive MX will shift torque to the front wheels or back wheels, wherever the best traction is.

And if I'm right, the system can also slow the wheel spin down until you gain more traction, say it slows you down almost instantly from 35 mph and no traction to 10 mph and good traction.

2) Your driving in your Tesla Model X at 55ph and hit a patch of ice in electric all wheel drive. The front wheels hit the ice first and lose traction. Instantly the torque is cut from the front wheels and shifted to the back wheels. When the back wheels hit the ice and start slipping, torque is shifted back to the front wheels if they cleared the ice and have traction. If all four wheels are on ice and slipping , the system goes into freewheeling mode (neutral) where neither acceleration or braking is advised.

3) The freewheeling , neutral mode may be good when approaching a bridge on a cold rainy day and just the bridge is frozen with a long patch of ice on the overpass.

Any of this sound familiar to the Europeans up by the arctic circle ?

X Deutschland Site Besuchen