Forum

Meld dig ind i fællesskabet
Meld dig indLog ind

For the Tesla Gen III, what 100 new features would you like to imagine or see available ?

Teslarians, what futuristic, hitech, game changer, ultra green, uber-cool, alto safety, mass production friendly, cost reducing, profit increasing features should Tesla's next generation, Gen III, vehicle have ? Also include Model C, S & X.

Whether large or small, simple or complex, technical or not, what are your ideas ?

To get started, here are some thoughts:

1) Put see through glass Tesla Shield  
   on hood  made of painted glass. The
   shield and letter T are left clear glass 
   and shows off the frunk by day. At 
   night a Hue light , with millions of 
   color variations can can be turn on 
   inside the frunk to light up the shield 
   and T during night driving. 

http://www.meethue.com/en-US

2) Have detachable Household AC plug  
 battery  packs near base of seats  
 powered by solar panels on roof.

3) Anti crash system stops car from
  running into things. Qualifies for   
  insurance discount?

4) Retractable semi-opaque, tinted sun
 visors controlled by button on
 steering wheel similar to pulling down  
 a window shade electronically. It's 
 more functional because it allows the 
 driver to control visor on driver's 
 window, passenger window, and both 
 sides of the windshield. Could this be the world's best sun visor?

5) Have all wheels turn to 90 degrees,
  great for parallel parking. Have car
  capable of self parking.

6) Create @tesla/talk.car Internet
    extension  for car related services 
    only to compliment .com sites. 

The .car extensions have voice only interface, with limited button pushing similar to a radio, no texting except through voice to text.

7) Shape the red tail lights as close
  as possible to the Tesla T Logo.
  Red led lights across bumper under
  the plate spell out Tesla Motors EV
  and highlight when brakes applied.

8) Equip Gen III with two sliding doors
  or 4 regular doors. To create
  easier access the opening door
  includes 1/3 of the roof. Also press a
  button in the door jamb to slide the
  front seats forward.

A variation of this, have 1/3 strip of 
   roof retract toward the center of the 
   roof when you open the door.

9 ) NFD Near Field Discounts auction.
  Type in lunch etc. 5 miles distance, 
  2hrs for exa and nearby Merchants 
  continuously update bids against  
  each other on giving you    
  discounts for lunch.

10) KeyPay/CarPal digitized keychain 
      can be used to pay electronically, 
      and receits  are tagged& organized 
      into personal & business categories 
      for taxes. Syncs with smartphone 
      app and car consol to store info on the web.

11) Computerized self parking, both 
      back in and parallel .

For sure, get rid of the side view mirrors that cause drag, replacing with a heads up display projected along the upper part of the windshield

I'd like to see a great looking body finish that duals as a solar charger. When you are driving or just parked on the roadside, the surface area of otherwise painted surfaces should generate enough wattage during daylight to at least keep the CPU, music system, and displays happy...

The services idea is great. Connectivity for Apple/Droid users essential. Eventually work in high profile consumer deals with Apple, Google, Facebook to expand social reach...

I need a cheap all electric pick up truck for those weekly tips to Home Depot :-)

Whoops, modify my last wish. Better ergonomics says put heads up projected display along bottom edge of windshield to keep the drivers eye on the road ahead.

Even conventional tire-rim structures can generate electricity via their
spinning motion. there are only two components needed:

a. thin copper wire conductors inside the tire attached to the rim or perhaps properly
aligned thin copper strips embedded into the tire material itself

b. a horseshoe magnet positioned properly to let the copper wires pass through the
magnetic field between the S and N poles of the magnet

c>
i am presently unsure of the difficulties and impacts of tire materials and how
they let magnetic fields penetrate (if at all), and certainly, the a/b system
above would have to be net energy positive and economical to be to be considered.

D>
However, passing copper through a magnetic field creates a voltage and electron flow
and that is well known.

it is not delusional to think that the problems of C cannot be overcome. In fact,
I'd say its inevitable.

Thanks very much,
James

@jamesd567, driving and braking at the same time is not very smart thing. That's what you are proposing.

For your original list:

a) too expensive
b) motor is already about as efficient as it can get, and even if you manage to squeeze out a bit improvement that would give you maybe 301 miles instead of 300. Also expensive.
c) too expensive
d) perpetual motion machine. It doesn't exist.
e) Maybe doable. There are magnetic instead of hydraulic active suspensions that do just that.
f) Probably too expensive
g) Heat pumps and ordinary electric heaters + insulation is enough.

PSA
Caution and Warning

The "Perpetual Motion Machine  Police (PMMP) ", patrol these threads, along with the Free Energy Machine Police, (FEMP).

Usually from what I see these are the scientific and mathematical career types. They will call you on your ideas if they don't shake out on  principles & laws of mathematics, physics, or science. They love to run you through this gauntlet so be prepared. 

Energy ideas seems to be one area where  this occurs a lot. If your idea is not a true energy efficiency, the PMMP, FEMP police may do a Rodney King style arrest of your idea until you submit, remit & recant and follow the laws of science, physics & math, from which you may have unintentionally deviated.

Unfortunately, the PMMP& FEMP although very smart, good citizens, are sometimes loathe to find an understandable way to explain to you why your idea is a PMM, FEM, or not workable.

Some of these police criticize with reluctance, others relish the role & can't wait to pull out the police baton & start whacking away. Some police have definitely lost the subtle, high culture, art of discussion & inspiring social interaction.

So how do you know if your energy idea is a true efficiency improvement  and not a Free Energy Machine (FEM), or Perpetual Motion Machine (PMM) ? Some thoughts.

1) Lets start with free energy, scientific purist will say energy is conserved, there is no truly free energy.

But, when's the last time you got a bill from mother nature for watering your lawn, for a cool breeze in the summer, or for heating up the earth from a frozen ice ball ? For all practical purposes these energies are free to us peons of the universe. Although the word free may be a bit of a misnomer.

Some examples of these so called free energies are renewables like solar, wind, tidal, geothermal etc. 

However, to avoid controversy, let's not call it free energy. Rather let's call it OPE, Other Peoples' Energy, with mother nature's renewables being just one example, (I'm personifying mother nature to qualify as an OPE).

So does Your Energy Idea Use OPE (Other Peoples' Energy) ? That's good ! The energy is free to you to use in a sense, although there may be cost to access the energy , like building a hydro-electric plant or a sail for a boat.

It's a little like using OPM (Other Peoples' Money) in bussiness to make more money for you. 

A sail boat is a good example of OPE and the wind energy is free to use. But you incur the access cost of building the sail to power the boat. As long as you have OPE wind, there's no cost to power/move the boat.

But if the wind dies down, you may want to switch to a backup motor.

Now the energy has both an access cost , (the cost of the motor), and a cost of using the energy, fuel to run the motor to move the boat. It now cost money to move the boat. Not free, not as energy profitable, but at least it works at a reasonable/bearable price.

A couple more scenarios.

What if you had a giant motorized fan on board for when the wind died down ? Is that free OPE ? Would it even work ?

Remember science class "For every action, there is an equal an opposite reaction." And is generating your own wind with a gas motor fan accessing free wind energy like the sail would do?

Next lets take the example of water energy coming over Niagra Falls which is OPE free, courtesy of mother nature, and collected by a hydro-electric plant. In this case you have a cost of access; but, the energy itself is free. 

Mother nature does not send the power plant a bill for evaporating water in the lowlands and condensing it in the higher altitude, creating the river and the riverfalls for the power plant.

However, if man first has to pump water up to the top of a dry hill, creating a manmade waterfall, then any energy generated by a hydro-electric plant would not be free, plus you still have the access cost of the power plant.

Kinda like paying yourself $20 to cut your own grass, do you really have $20 more in your wallet ?

To sum up this point, OPE free energy from nature ideas are not yet very common, and the PMMP FEMP want to keep it unadulterated from false, sacrilegious claims. And if you present a false claim breaking a scientific law,  you very well could be Kinged, Rodney style. 

2) Does your energy idea Recapture Used Energy ? Does your energy idea create synergies, multitask, or in some way increase energy efficiency ? Or does it Use More Energy to implement than practical ?

Think of two people walking down the street at night. They have two different light energy sources to keep from getting run over from a car

One person has a lever powered flashlight he powers manually by pressing and releasing the lever. T

he other person has the same lever powered light built into the heel of his shoes that generates power and shoe lights as he walks.

In both cases the energy created is without cost, and in each case there is an energy access costs: a flashlight or a more expensive light generating shoes.

But which night walker is more efficient, Recapturing or Multitasking Used Energy to generate light without creating the need for more (body) energy?  Which walker is Using Less body Energy to create the night light ?

Finally having said all that, the police are not always right. Once in a while an OPE or better energy efficiency idea can make it through the police gauntlet. Just warning you, so be prepared, maybe a good discussion will be the result !

Just remember there are many ways for the less scientific to develop their ideas and argument through googling , youtubing, studying critical reasoning , creativity, problem solving, etc. 

Enjoy your discussions & watch out for the police !

I would like to be able to afford to buy it.

Seriously, I've been following Tesla corp since I first heard of the concept - long before there were even roadsters to buy - and I've kept getting the newsletters because back then they mentioned after they had become successful making their super luxury sports car, then their luxury car, they'd start producing a car the rest of us could buy.

I want that car. I've wanted that car for years. I don't actually care what bells and whistles are included as long as I can drive where I need to go (100+ mi per charge) and actually afford to buy it.

arielphf,

I don't know what your affordable price point is, but I think help is on the way. The new money from the latest stock offering is providing needed support for a variety of needs including the mass market, affordably priced, EV.

Another new development that may also help is the just announced battery swap service. A lot of people think these swap stations are at risk of obsolescence when 500 mile & 1000 mile batteries come out at the same or higher battery price.

However instead of going obsolete, I think Tesla could choose to turn swap stations into battery lease stations.

And if Tesla chooses a used battery lease option, the monthly battery lease payments could be less than you pay for gas. Plus leasing the battery lowers the car purchase price, and a used battery lease option would lower the payments, (car payment & battery payment ), the most.

So say the Gen III price comes in at $ 35,000. Take off $7500 for the Federal tax break. And then take off $10,000 for the used battery lease option. This brings your GenIII price to $ 17,500. I believe that's less cost than the ridiculously small smart car.

The best part is nobody has to know your driving a new car with a used battery, no one sees it.

Can you afford $17,500 for a GenIII Tesla with a used battery lease lower than typical gas payments ? Then you might like the used battery leasing idea.

If not consider buying the GenIII car used with used battery leasing as well. That should get you down to about $8,750. For a used GenIII. (Leasing should make the used GenIII cars less cost upfront as ).

As a bonus for used battery lease purchasers, maybe Tesla can give them 3 or 4 free battery swaps for that yearly long trip or two.

Recapitulation of Used Battery Leasing Benifits

1) Keeps the battery swapping stations from becoming obsolete by adding used battery lease swapping service.
2) It lowers the price of BOTH used and new cars.
3) Lowering cost by offering Used battery leasing will increase sales of GenIII.
4) This in turn drives stock to $300 a share
5) This allows another another stock sale raising several billion dollars.
6) Elon now has the funds to build a second car making plant which EM designs himself, from the ground up, to be the biggest and most efficient car making plant in the world.
7) This drives the stock to over $1000 a share, funding another stock sale, raising billions more capital expenditure funds.

The battery lease option is not on. It requires TM to own (and capitalize) the entire battery fleet. Huge capex, and exposure to depreciation, etc. As presently structured, it will function like a de facto exchange service, though.

Better interior! See mercedes AMG line as the best interiors I have ever seen. Much better than the standard boring benz stuff. AMG has the perfect combionation of modern, hi tech and luxury.... Great template to steal ideas from, the amg line was done by some famous designer. In black with all the brushed metal, they look amazing!

Time is short. If you haven't already done so, don't forget to sign:

"White Petition To Allow Direct Tesla EV Sales In All 50 States".

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/allow-tesla-motors-sell-direct...

And email link to your interested contacts list. Deadline coming up soon.

lotusguynyc,

I like the rich leather look everywhere, especially on the steering wheel.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&hl=en&biw=320&bih=416&tbm=isc...

Brian,

To save 100 % of the capex expense, have only "No CapEx USED Battery Leases", from when people swap out and upgrade to higher capacity batteries. EM has already stated he will only charge you the difference if you keep a better milage battery after a swap. That means the used battery is not paid for.

Tesla execs have already hinted at a 500 mile battery, or at least a big improvement. Lots of people will want to upgrade their battery after swaps.

After a few years, this could generate 100,000s of used batteries piling up in Tesla storage facilities. Rather than write off these batteries as a business expense or loss, as you would have, a lease program could be much more profitable and beneficial overall.

The " No CapEx Used Battery Lease Program" could start out slow and small and gradually expand more & more as used batteries become available.

No CapEx Used Batteries also will only need to be swapped out every 1-4 years or so. Where a swap station is not nearby, Tesla Rangers could do the swaps manually if needed as a road call and throw in some other maintenance checks as part of the No CapEx Used Battery lease program.

This manual Ranger backup swapping would greatly reduce the need for storage faculties or swap stations. About 20 swap/and-or/storage centers should give adequate national coverage. So there would be no need for massive additional expenditures except for maybe 10 storage only facilities for Ranger manual swap access and that cost could be built into the lease contract.

And don't forget Tesla's computerized monitoring and tracking of data is not "half-vast" ; but fully capable, well thought out, way above the competition, and always improving.

Because of this, Tesla would probably know before you do when your lease battery needs swapped out and will have their batteries logistics well managed & prepositioned, even sending lease swap time reminders to your cell phone and/or car.

I know there are a lot of EV anxieties out there, range anxiety being just one. But I see dozens if not hundreds more, and new ones poping up all the time like this High CapEx Lease Anxiety. So Brian I hope this "No CapEx USED Battery Lease" option helps assuage your CapEx anxiety.

Tesluthian;
Sounds good, except all the retired batteries are going to form Solar City buffer/storage at Supercharger sites everywhere.

Have a look at http://seekingalpha.com/article/1463661-on-elon-musk-and-tesla-motors-th... .
One of the points Jeff Cox makes (he's a founder/exec of a lithium-ion based company) is that the TM batteries have a projected cycle life of 3,000, which translates into 750K miles or 53 years of 12K mile driving. !!

The whole (massive) deflection into battery leasing etc. is going to be by-passed, finessed by the technical and business model brilliance he outlines.

Could the " Tesla Three Wing EV Van " be in future production within 10 years ? Possibly at a second factory ?

Basically its a van with three Falcon Wing Doors. Two on each side and one for the tailgate !

Similar sales pitch as MX, easier cargo loading/unloading and/or seating access in tight spaces.
But then, it may look more like a spider than a falcon with all three doors up. The Spider Van ?

Designers-future designers/photoshop lovers time to fire up the software.

Could this have a lot of commercial or business appeal ? I think it's within the realm of possibilities.

Here's another way EVs may reduce your cost. An experimental pilot program where the utility sends your EV an Internet signal to buffer energy back into the grid. (See final paragraphs in the link ).

So I imagine its flexible, you could set the % amount of your car battery your willing to buffer back. If you have a 200 mile Tesla EV, & never use more than 75 miles of charge, you could set the battery to let the utility buffer back a 100 miles worth back to the grid and still have a 125 driving miles of charge. So your battery, weather new or used lease would help pay for itself.

Since Tesla's batteries are bigger, they would earn more money for the owner buffering charge back to the grid.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2013/05/24/tesla__solar_a_glim...

See also for complete description:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/26/business/energy-environment/electric-v...

Works even better if you have home solar panels and electric backup home storage packs, like the SCTY/TSLA system in the link below.

http://www.solarcity.com/residential/energy-storage.aspx

Savings could be in the thousands per year.

The only thing gen 3 needs is to be cheaper while still having 200 mile range and being supercharger capable.

The only downside will be all the Model S and X owners whining about Gen 3 owners hogging the superchargers. The best way for Tesla to avoid this problem as much as possible is to continue to build superchargers far away from where people live or shop regularly, to avoid people using them for regular charging or parking.

Skotty,

You definitely have a point there Skotty, especially when the Tesla EVs on the road get up into the millions. What's to stop people from supercharging charging up on their way home after work and getting in a little shopping ?

Perhaps there could be a Technological solution ? Could it be possible to computer set the cars not to allow supercharging fueling within 35 miles of your home ?

That still allows retailers to offer free charging with slower systems.

Who knows some day superchargers may be so numerous, (10,000+), and well financed, it won't matter.

I would like tesla to use the model s frame for the gen111 if they do half the car is already done saving a ton of money on engineering costs. motor trend just did the first drive on the i3 and said the electric had a 118" wheelbase. make the gen 111 176" long, that's about 20" longer than the i3 at 157.4" and will give the tesla design team about the same length as the 3 series, c class, and a 4 to make a great looking auto.

For clarification, feel free to chime in. Are we officially calling the Gen III platform "Model E" or "Platform E" or "Economy" something, or something else involving an E ? Didn't Tesla trademark something with an E in it ? What are you calling Gen III ?

Superchargers/swappers are vastly more important than anything else other than of course presenting a nice car to buy in the first place.

Large volume sales of an affordable model will require having a far better charging/swapping infrastructure than what is now promised.

Free charging is not necessary. As long as it is far less expensive than gas people will gladly pay. Profitable charging would ensure that there are stations everywhere.

TM doesn't want the hassle of collecting. Much easier to let Solar City do its thing.

I would also like it to sit up and beg. Come on people be realistic!

Maybe Elon can come up with a phone app that handles supercharger fees for whoever, GenIII, platform E, partner manufacturer's EV cars etc. Hmmm... MK does do programming...PayPal ...

In any event, either way I agree more superchargers will be needed over time as Tesla's production ramps up into much higher numbers.

Wow! Some pretty creative thinking went into the posts on this thread...

One year later, how have your thoughts changed?

Alright, now some serious stuff:

1) Make the chargers programmable so that they can support future types of battery types. Then you will not need to change out the chargers when new batteries become available, at least for one generation.

2) Make the chargers high enough capacity to allow for future higher current charging or at least modular so the power devices can be changed out easily and cheaply.

3)new battery technolgies that are retrofittable, enabling faster charging and longer range. Batteries that perform as well at cold temperqtures as hot.

One should understand that each battery technology has unique charging requirements.

I'm coming very late to the game, but I am very interested in a Tesla as my next vehicle. The perfect timing for me will be in 2 to 3 years with the age of my children and payments/age of my current vehicle. I did not read through the entire thread before posting my reply, so if I'm duplicating something, that means more than one of us has the same idea. Please keep in mind that any comments I'm making are from things I've looked at on the internet and experienced from a 20 minute test drive.

I'm hooked. I had a chance to drive a Saab once in 1986 - I went on to own 4, but eventually left the brand; the quality suffered greatly when a US automaker became part owner.

I had the same thing happen when I test drove a Tesla 4 days ago. I now want one.

Pricing (unless I win the lottery) will keep me out of an S, but a III is really possible.

- Don't like the clear frunk idea - security risk.
- Spare tire is important as well as all-season radials. (I live in Minnesota - we're getting over a foot of snow today)
- Would love to see a fold-down console/cup holders for the back seat.
- Keep as many of the components the same - reduces inventories and R&D costs, hopefully keeping the cost of the vehicle down
- Heated wipers are a good idea, but what about heating the windshield spray are both good ideas, especially when windows are ice-coated.
- The area where the wipers sit when they are at rest - having a defroster similar to the back window in that location will help keep the wipers clear, again important during sleet/snow precipitation
- One feature my first Saab had that I really liked was the doors wrapped around the door sill - no dirty stripes on your pant legs from getting into the car
- I know you can use a smartphone app to set the internal temp of the car - will it also allow you to turn on the front and rear defrosters?
- Gull wing doors, while the look cool, might not be practical in snowy areas - snow falling into the car and onto the seats makes for a wet commute.
- Citizen watches have developed their eco-drive watches, which uses light power that comes through the face of the watch to charge the battery. Much smaller batteries and applications, but it's something that might help gain an extra mile or two.
- I love the design of the car, but has there been the thought of a wagon instead of hatch back?
- The rear window seems small - a bit more visibility there would be great.

I'd love to provide input as part of a consumer panel that utilizes real people from various parts of the country. Things that Minnesotan's need might not occur to others; conversely things important to Californian's might not occur to someone from Minnesota.

I am ready for model lll, just give me a nice looking car with super range. Limit the options to reduce prices and problems and I will be very happy.

An obvious upgrade would be photo-voltaic panels in sun-exposed parts of the car, either internal, external, or both. Park your car in the sunlight to auto-charge the battery.

spirit and tom;
Often suggested (PV on/in the car). Horrible waste of money. The quantities don't scale. Even in the tropics parked all day in the sun, the best case.

My top 15 in no particular order:
1. Discounted SolarCity PV panels + Tesla battery backup + charger bundle
2. Safety features that beat Volvo
3. Performance that beats the BMW 4 Series
4. Looks that beat the Mercedes Benz C-Class
5. All wheel drive that beats Audi Quattro
6. Kickass sound system with Bluetooth
7. No fog windows & mirrors, heated/cooled seats/steering wheel, auto climate control
8. At least 250 mile range
9. Built-in emergency home backup generator
10. Smartphone & LTE/wifi integration
11. Parking spot finder
12. Artificial intelligence navigator to help avoid traffic
13. 110v outlets
14. Siri-like voice activation system to control various car features
15. Paint job that requires no detailing yet always looks brand new (yeah I wish!)

X Deutschland Site Besuchen