Forum

Meld dig ind i fællesskabet
Meld dig indLog ind

Who believes $1000 is a fair price for an adapter?

$1000 really?
If I didn't know better I would say Tesla is trying to discourage us from using this company!

NRG eVGO is installing stations that can charge our cars 150 miles an hour, BUT.......

I stopped to see one yesterday at the Camarillo outlet malls. Their Freedom Stations can charge a Tesla 150 miles in an hour, 5 times faster than a level 2, but only 1/2 the speed of Tesla's super Charging stations. These stations could come in vary handy in an emergency, but I have been told that we can't use them at this point because our car didn't come with the correct adapter for this unit.

I have also been told that the adapter will cost $1000, which seems to be very userous. I have never heard of an adapter costing so much. I have purchased several over the years, and this one would seem to be gold plated.

I called NRG today and talked to a rep for about 30 minutes. They fit their charging stations for the majority of electric vehicles, which did not include Tesla.

He said that adapters are available over seas but are in the process of being tested here.

He indicated that Tesla will produce the adapter, and he agreed that they are way to expensive. He was going to ask his boss if they could include an adapter at each unit.

$1000.00 is ridicules!

If I didn't no better, I would assume that Tesla is charging so much to discourage us from going with this company.

Call 855-509-5581 to talk to a company rep and voice your concerns, or e-mail Tesla.

$1000 is just crazy!

Don't buy it.

@Sterlingllc1

$1000 for the ChaDemo adapter is cheap.

Nice........

Kleist, why do you say that $1000 is cheap?

$1,000 seems like a very reasonable price to me. It's not just a physical plug interface issue but rather includes a protocol converter.

Like Amped said, if it's not worth the price to you then don't buy one. Or consider building one of your own if you know how to do it cheaper.

@Sterlingllc1

I am in agreement with Kleist.

Us Model S users are spoiled with cheap prices and we don't realize it!

Look at Roadster J1772 slow adapter. It's $ 750.00 for one piece and we could buy a whole portable charger bundle for Model S for $650.

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/charging/products/j1772-connector

For $250 more, at the price of $1,000 you can charge much faster than J1772 can, so what's the complaint?

Don't shot the messenger.

Are Tesla's other adapters so expensive, please explain!

If this is truly economical fine, but this just seems like fan boys falling all over themselves, and I am a big fan boy but maybe not such a lemming.

NRG felt that $1000 was over priced, I felt that $1000 was over priced.
How long will it take for pay back?

Sterlingllc1
If you are truly interested in why the adaptor costs as much as it does, please seek out the specification for 1772 DC charging (fundamentally the electrical interface Tesla adheres to although Tesla's connector is a much more elegant solution) and compare that to the ChaDemo interface specification. I believe you will better understand why the "adaptor" is so bloody expensive.

If you are not the technical type, think of how you would build a Betamax to VHS "adaptor". You buy BM machine then hook the video inputs/outputs to a VHS machine and now you have an "adaptor". The analogy is not perfect but you get the idea. Actually, I've made assumptions about your age (I'm an old fart) so perhaps I should have used a PC to Mac adaptor. The idea is similar.

"Us Model S users are spoiled with cheap prices and we don't realize it!"

What do you mean, I paid $116,000 for my car.

and also remember, you are upset over and adaptor price from a company that is building out a nation wide network of twice as fast chargers for your car which are free to use :)

@Sterlingllc1 - any idea what goes into that adapter?

If you look an any electrical parts site you will find that just a 600volt 100amp weather proof non-fusible DC disconnect can costs up to $500.

I would expect a custom made converter to cost a lot more since it includes a switch, two 50kW connectors (one end plugs in the car the other accepts the charger's cord) and electronics to covert communications.

No harm in petitioning Tesla to lower the price tho.... one never knows.

It is expensive. Going up to Oregon early May. Chargers are scanty along the Oregon coast. They have scattered Level 2 chargers accompanied by a Chademo. For my trip I believe it would give piece of mind. Unfortunately they are only available late May, early June. Looks like I'm going to have to hope for available Level 2 chargers near my hotels otherwise I may be spending many hours hanging around parking lots. A Chademo could allow me a quick hour charge while having a meal. Looks like in the near future Nissan dealers are installing Chademo at most of their dealerships so could be very useful when we go off the Supercharger highway although within a year this may be moot. Bottom line if it were available today I would buy one. However unless I do a similar trip in the next year or say I think I may rely on the supercharger network.

Lola, thank you, you at least make sense of things.

I agree that Tesla is building out our beloved charging stations, but when driving around town and having a change of plans, maybe a detour to help a friend, stopping at a level 2 station which takes an hour for 28 miles just doesn't cut it, but 150 miles in an hour could make a big difference.

These stations are being placed in convenient locations around town, but for $1000 the pay back seems a long term investment.

If that is the cost to make this unit, fine, but isn't it a tad more than the other adapters available for the car?

It is hugely more expensive than the other adaptors. As another poster has said, all the another adaptors are basically fancy short 240V extension cords with a different connector at each end. You can see how these would be inexpensive to produce in quantity thus Tesla's price.

50 KW DC interfaces that switch communication protocols are a bear to design, manufacture and then certify. I'm actually a bit surprised Tesla is doing this and can not for the life of me think it has any profit margin by the time you amortize the required engineering over the very small number of units they will produce.

WRT 240V charging, I've been living with the available charging infrastructure with my cars for over a year now. My move was to make sure I had twin chargers as that provided me 60 mph of charging for when the unexpected happens. 20 KW of charging is not ChaDemo 50 KW but at least it is twice as good as the standard 10 KW.

Think of it more like an entirely different UMC which cost about $600 and that UMC is not a 50kW device.

The Chademo adapter does not incorporate your UMC at all (like the other adapters do). It is it's own thing completely... so basically you are purchasing another UMC with a much higher kW rating.

@Sterlingllc1 - two considerations

One
- UMC handles 40A = $650 ( about what typical EVSE boxes cost )
- HPWC handles 80A = $1200
- ChaDemo handles 125A = $1000 plus it has to translate the protocol

Two
- UMC = every car has one meaning high volume production
- ChaDemo adapter... maybe 1-2% of owners will buy = low volume.

Thank guys, I just wanted to understand why it cost so much.

With Tesla Charging stations going up all around us, I can't see many Tesla owners paying $1000 for this convenience, but with 30,000 plus Tesla's on the road I would think that NRG might want to subsidize these unit to get our business.

I just don't see the value of paying $1000 for the convenience of reducing around town range anxiety.

Amped was probably right, no one will buy it until the price comes down.

Amped, have you placed your order?

@Sterlingllc1

TEPCO (yes, that famous nuclear meltdown company) promotes CHAdemo.

However, Honda EV fit, Toyota RAV 4 EV in Japan and others in Europe and USA don't buy into CHAdeMo!

You heard that CHAdeMO is on Death Row, right?

http://www.plugincars.com/why-chademo-death-row-europe-128001.html

Its future is uncertain in the US because the US standard is SAE combo, NOT CHAdeMo.

Against that background, I am surprised that Tesla even sells it to you, at any price!

It's a temporary but costly solution until Superhargers are populated.

No question that you already paid quite a lot for your car.

However, when compare to our predecessors Roadster owners, theirs started about $110,000 and by time they added options and taxes, their cars were almost $200,000!

Remember, before Tesla, protesters offered GM over a million dollar to keep EV1 but GM refused the money and crushed EV1 instead.

So to put in perspective, yes, Tesla charges us a lot of money.

But it is still cheap because they satisfy our requests for a price.

That is why so many places are putting in the inexpensive Clipper Creek CS 100 charging stations that everyone can use with a cheap J1772 adapter.

Problem though the J1772 is slow and not always in a convenient location to a hotel.

Tam,

It is strange how their web site does not come up, but I did get their customer service and then corporate office on the line.

Their charging stations at the Camarillo outlet mall were very impressive. They were well marked as electric car charging stations only, and corporate said that retailers take a no nonsense attitude towards ICE cars parking in their spots. The parking lot was full, but NOT ONE ICE was parked in these spots.

I wouldn't mind getting a 150 mile charge in an hour, is anyone else "besides Tesla" giving that kind of charge?
Is anyone even coming close?

UMC adapters cost $45, but the Chademo adapter is a very different animal. It would take a while to explain, but the posters above are correct, it is actually a bargain at $1000.

Do note that Tesla doesn't owe us any Chademo adapter at all. They support a standard (J1772) and a very fast and free proprietary standard. And now, as an option, it supports another fast DC charging solution. Which is more than any other manufacturer on the planet can say.

No other EV supports TWO fast DC charging standards (of which one is free to use). Other manufacturers are more than welcome to license Tesla's supercharger protocol, none have.

@Sterlingllc1:

Due to the novelty and low volume demand, Tesla pricing is justifiable.

I do appreciate your effort in bringing down the adapter price.

I welcome electric outlets and chargers in any size and shape, anytime and anywhere so I do praise NRG eVGO for making EV charging easier.

@shop - wait until they make an adapter for the not yet finalized but most clumsy CSS proposed standard... that adapter would be straight pins and cost less.

TU Shop.

Tam,
My post was intended to understand why an adapter could cost $1000, thanks to all of your posts, I now understand. But I still wonder why other providers can't provide a charge near 150 miles per hour, other than Tesla?

I will choke buying this adapter, but it might be my best option around town.

That is unless the Tesla station opens near my home in Oxnard Ca. I heard that it was in the works, but then nothing.

But then I would be nothing more than those locals clogging up the Hawthorn station, or any station positioned near many owners, allowing travelers to just sit and wait.

Not sure I want to be that guy.

@Sterlingllc1

You might not have to wait for long for a Supercharger near you :)

http://www.vcreporter.com/cms/story/detail/get_your_electric_motor_runni...

Have you stopped by Collection at Riverpark lately?

Please take a peek through any construction fence that you can spot and we love a picture if you can!

The car industry has been very slow or very unresponsive to the needs of EV community, including the need for fast charge.

Their solutions to "faster" charge is very expensive and very slow.

That's when Tesla came in and have offered the industry a cheaper solution and a much quicker solution for fast charge.

The car industry rejected Tesla's solution and go their own way.

Your question is why the industry's charging speed is so slow?

The answer is the same: because the car industry rejected Tesla's solution and go their own way.

Why would the car industry stick to a charging protocol that is so slow and costly?

You can make your own theories.

But that is why Tesla is called "disruptive."

You may ask why would anyone wants to send a message by telegraph which is costlier and slower than writing an e-mail?

You can make your own theories.

Telegraph folks would shake their heads and say why would anyone wants to write an e-mail?

That's why Mad Money's Jim Cramer on CNBC shakes his head and says Tesla is a cult.

And that is why Tesla stock is selling for more than $200 while Merrill Lynch shake their heads and reaffirms $65 price target on Tesla.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/merrill-lynch-reaffirms-65-price-target...

In conclusion, it's a free country, so do what is right for your situation.

If it is worth more than $1000 to you, buy it. If not, don't.

Perhaps they could include a Tesla nozzle on the charging station? Compared to the cost of the charging station and installation, it seems $1000 would not be that much.

Would be much cooler if Tesla instead installed them permanently at CHADeMO stations so we could all buy fractional ownership access for say, $100.

With free SuperChargers, we'd rarely use the pay-to-play CHAdeMO stations, but at a modest price, it's a nice backup.

Doesn't make sense to have thousands of owners buy and lug them, when hundreds of permanent installs would do the trick at much lower cost.

The CHAdeMO network operators would welcome it because every car is a paying customer for their power.

As an Electrical Engineer myself, I'm going to go with totally fair. 125A is a huge amount of current; at that point, even contacts and wires start to get expensive. Then add in the active electronics to translate the protocols and amortize the several months' engineering and NRE over the relatively few adapters they're likely to sell. The other 'adapters' are just injection molded plastic over a NEMA plug with a simple ID chip.

Keep in mind regular mobile connector costs $650, which is cheap as EVSEs go.

@Sterlingllc1

I would like you to notice the difference between you original post when starting this thread

>$1000 really?
>If I didn't know better I would say Tesla is trying to discourage us >from using this company!

and your post from later on after others had contributed reasons...

>Thank guys, I just wanted to understand why it cost so much.

You started out by accusing Tesla of trying to rip you off, instead of a simple question.

I'll also add an additional reason, besides the complexity of this particular adapter: When Tesla made the adapters that come with the car, the NEMA 5-15, NEMA 14-50, and the J7221, they could amortize the costs of designing, testing, and tooling up to make these adapters over the thousands (or potentially hundreds of thousands) of adapters.

In addition, as other posters have pointed out, that the other adapters are an order of magnitude easier and cheaper to make than this one is.

If Tesla sells only a couple of hundred of these adapters, they have to amortize the costs over only the couple of hundred adapters they sell. If it costs them $200,000 to design, test, and tool up, and they sell 2,000 adapters, that alone is $1,000 per adapter.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen