Foren

ZUR TESLA-COMMUNITY
REGISTRIERENEinloggen

Atlanta is the only top 5 EV city with no SuperCharger with 100 miles

Atlanta, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, and Seattle together make up over half of all EV purchases. Every one of these cities have at least one SuperCharger within 100 miles except Atlanta.

Our service center is bustling with test drives and deliveries. We have a strong Tesla community.

We need SuperChargers in key locations to travel to other states including:

I-85 N & S

I-75 N & S

I-20 E & W

Where is the love Tesla?

They show one going in on I85 near Commerce and one at the SC/NC border on I85 by the end of the year.

Your Supercharges were sent to Norway :)

There are only 6 east of Chicago, with 5 of those in just 2 states.

Doesn't seem Tesla has a lot of love for the east coast.

Maybe when they complete their cross-country link they will start to add SCs in the east so they have somewhere to go once they get here. :)

It's easy - just have more locals by Tesla cars! Since about half of the US production is sold in California, it makes sense that most Superchargers are located in ... wait for it... California!

If you can get half of the US production sold in your area, I'm sure Tesla will be putting in Superchargers all around you!

Since all sales are direct, they know exactly where owners are and can best distribute Superchargers to the areas that have the most Model S density. More will be coming. Check out the map, it looks like at least one will be nearby you this Winter.

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

Should have been ".. buy Tesla cars!".

@TeslatTap - where did you get that from? I've never seen a statement from Tesla that said SC installations were based on sales in the geography.

It also makes no sense - I live in CT where 2 of the 6 superchargers east of Chicago are located. One is 10 miles from my house; the other is 35 miles - of absolutely no use to me on a trip.

So if Telsa was "rewarding" my neighbors and me for purchasing our Teslas, they should have built the MA and NJ SCs, which we could actually use to go somewhere.

Elon has made the statement; forget where. But regulatory tape is the main sea anchor. The hardware and crews are standing by, and standing, and standing...

Remember I said within 100 miles of Atlanta... Chatanooga, TN, Macon,GA, Augusta,GA, Greenville, SC, includes 3 states. Tennessee had a boat load of CHAmeDO (Fast DC) chargers so I'm sure they have the regulatory thing worked out.

I think it's time to focus on Atlanta not only as a haven of Tesla owners but also as a destination for Tesla drivers.

Yes! Red tape is hard to assign to so many different states and localities: GA, TN, SC. Add NY, NJ, ME, MA, VT, NH, RI to the list (smaller states up here!).

@tes-s - I'm about 90% sure I heard it from Elon, but I've watched too many videos and attended a number of his live appearances, that I can't say for sure where I heard this. I think it would have been at least 6 months ago. Aside from Elon's talks, I don't think it was a general company statement of how Supercharger locations are picked.

To make the cross country connection will require some superchargers in locations where the Model S density is low, so it's clearly not a hard and fast rule.

tes-s, the supercharger isnt in connecticut to serve connecticut drivers. It's in connecticut to serve drivers between Boston and New York.... where they have sold lots of cars, or hope to. Remember SCs are not for local charging- they are for long haul drivers.

@DTsea - I have heard it said they are for long haul drivers, but never heard they are not for local charging. I think they are a local solution for people that live in apartments and other locations that do not have a home charging option.

But I think we are agreeing that using car sales by state to determine whether to put SCs in that state does not achieve the goal of long haul usage, particularly in the northeast where the states are so small geographically.

Estimate from the Atlanta service center is that we have at least 350 Model S in metro Atlanta. Just about everyone I know in Atlanta travels either to the gulf coast, Savannah/Hilton Head or Orlando at least once a year. A SC in Macon would be manna from heaven for us! On the map it's not scheduled to arrive until 2015!

tes-s, i dont mean you arent supposed to use it if you want. I mean that is placed to enable travel between clusters with large numbers of Model S vehicles.

They have to prioritize somehow.

WRT to the OP's point, if you check fall and winter on supercharger page it is obvious that SCs are coming soon to Georgia.

Obvious? That is what I thought 3 months ago when the summer map showed locations in NJ and MA - obviously coming soon. October 17 and still no signs of any supercharger activity.

Now that the one in Burlington NC is open, I am just waiting on the ones near NC/SC and Commerce GA to be able to drive instead of trailer mine when I make trips from Richmond, VA to Atlanta. I go for reasonably long periods of time between places and right now have to put a car trailer behind a pick up then park the truck when I get to town.

I agree with the post. May be a philosophical difference with Tesla on the purpose of superchargers. I think most people want to take a weekend or week long trip, for example from Atlanta to the beach or mountains, and that very few people take coast to coast trip. Coast to coast without main city coverage is good for marketing, but impractical. If I want to see the other coast, I fly. If I want to see this coast, I need 310 miles, and thus a fast way to add 100 miles range to a trip.

So a ring of supercharges 150-200 miles from Atlanta would really increase the usefulness of the car and thus sales. A possible list of where to put them and the trip they enable:
1) Macon GA (Savannah, Hilton Head, Jacksonville)
2) Montgomery AL (gulf coast, Mobile)
3) Augusta, GA (Charleston)
4) Chattanooga, TN (CHAdeMO adapter helps reduce the need for this one)
5) Greenville, SC (Charlotte, east coast)
6) Montgomery AL (CHAdeMO adapter helps reduce the need for this one)

Well said ds2022. I agree completely.

@ds2022 - you don't want 150-200mi outside ATL -- to get 150mi-200mi spacing between them, you need 75-100mi outside ATL on each of the major interstates.

jat, I see your point if someone is driving through, but that is easily solved by either using the CHAdeMO chargers in Atlanta, putting a supercharger downtown, staying the night in Atlanta and charging, or putting a supercharger at the Tesla service center. Since I live in Atlanta, I will have a full charge, so can do 150-200 miles on the first run toward the coast.

My main point is still that a ring of superchargers around areas with lots of Teslas (big cities) has a higher utility and therefore should be built out first instead of building superchargers on infrequently traveled cross country interstates (like Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, Madison, WI). Atlanta is one of the highest selling cities for Tesla and Leaf's (who may upgrade over time), but the supercharger build out plans do not have anything near here for a long time.

When we want to go to the coast, my spouse wants to rent an ICE car so we don't have to wait hours to charge. In the meantime, hopefully the CHAdeMO network keeps building out quickly since it is the only option for Atlantans today and into next year.

I have a daughter that attends Georgia Southern University. The drive from my house to her dorm room is about 205 miles. I can usually make it there if the weather is perfect and I keep my speed at or below 65 mph.

I want to visit my sons, one in the Washington DC area and one in New York. For the first charge at 150 to 200 miles, I have a 3 to 5 hour charge before I can make the newly opened SuperCharger (SC) in Burlington, NC (ribbon cutting was today,) I can then make the SC in Richmond, VA if I can stretch to 200 miles. From there I'm good.

Again, a top 5 city shouldn't have these types of challenges. Building 5 SCs in Texas, when Texas didn't even want to allow purchases or deliveries of MS vehicles, before a single SC is built in Georgia makes no sense to me.

We all want superchargers in place across the country. But, this is all so new that patience is required. You knew the situation when you bought your car so give Tesla time to work out all the logistics. They have to deal with 100's of local government agencies and contracting out the installations. The guys running the supercharger installations must go through Aspirin by the bucketload.

@RobS and Doug H

Estimate of MS in Houston = 700+; see them everywhere.

Not sure where your EV data come from, but Houston + Dallas + San Antonio metro >> 2x Atlanta = no wonder they are building here.

Your turn will come.

moorelin

Great! Texas may have twice as many MS than Georgia. Then install half as many SuperChargers in Georgia. Rather than that, we get one SC this fall while Texas will have 5 in an area of Texas roughly the size of Georgia.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen