Foren

ZUR TESLA-COMMUNITY
REGISTRIERENEinloggen

Range at 160 km/h (100 mph)

The range calculator on the website only goes to 120 km/h, which is below the speed limit in many european countries (e.g. France is 130) and certainly way below normal speeds on German autobahns without speed limit.

So, can anyone give me an idea on the range of a Model S 85 doing 160 km/h (100 mph)?

Thanks,

Michel

+/- 200 kms with a full tank

We took a vacation a couple months ago into some remote areas of Northern California. Little tiny sleepy towns with long country roads for miles.

I took my son down one of those roads one morning and we hit some speeds that I won't admit here. I will tell you that my son remarked that you literally could watch the rated range miles tick down by the seconds.

I would think that at 100mph the range is under 100 miles.

This is probably what Tesla needs to solve to get the Germans to start buying the Model S en masse. I realize this has to do the physics of wind resistance.

Could AWD help increase the range at 100mph speeds by gearing the front wheels at a different gear ratio so that the front wheels are more efficiently powered at higher speeds?

Either way a higher capacity battery would help. It would be pretty incredible if Tesla can start increasing the battery pack capacities by at least about 10% or so every 2-3 years.

@Thomas N. I have found the sleepy towns to be the worst. They have 20-25 mph speed limits within the towns and the local cop is sitting and waiting mostly within the town but even outside the town for opportunities to fill the coffers.

With the electric drivetrain, four wheel drive or gearing changes will not really effect efficiency or range. This normally appears because of inherent inefficiencies in ICE drivetrains.

WEB_SFR asked "Could AWD help increase the range at 100mph speeds by gearing the front wheels at a different gear ratio so that the front wheels are more efficiently powered at higher speeds?"

A higher gear ratio would make the car use a little bit less power at a constant, regular speed of about 55-70 MPH, increasing range a bit. At 100 MPH or above, wind resistance is the biggest issue that causes a loss of range in any vehicle, and its effects increase exponentially. All a higher gear ratio would do is perhaps allow the car to have a statistical ability to just barely touch a higher top speed, such as 155 mph, instead of 130 or so. It would not be able to maintain the speed for long.

The problem is the amount of energy stored. Note that a BMW 7-Series has a 21.1 gallon fuel tank, roughly equivalent to 717 kWh. The amount of energy stored in the Model S P85+ battery is roughly equivalent to 2.5 gallons at 85 kWh. Due to the improved efficiency of an electric drive, the Tesla would certainly travel further at 100 MPH than the BMW would on 2.5 gallons... But who cares?

85 kWh is fine if you want to 'Drive it Like You Stole It' on US highways... Not quite enough to manage the feat on the Autobahn. I would guess that a 135 kWh battery pack would make it feasible. A 170 kWh battery pack would make it enjoyable. A 220 kWh battery pack would make it an absolute piece of cake.

Another point of contention is that you would have to find a more efficient means of cooling the battery pack, inverter, and motor to allow sustained high speeds on the Tesla. I'm certain that is a point that they are working on in earnest, because the improved battery capacity won't matter if the car shuts you down to protect itself from harm. This is definitely something that must be worked out in full by the release of Tesla Generation III if it is to be accepted throughout Europe as a BMW Killer.

Check this graph that I extrapolated from Tesla data..

Range at 100 mph is something between 125 and 140 miles.

About 200 km then. Just over half the range you get at 120 km/h.

Where can I sign up for that 220 kWh battery? ;-)

Don't forget with ICE the gas tank will be depleted very fast when drive at high speed. It's faster to fill up the tank than charge the battery of course.

Carik

Don't forget with an ice car there are refueling stops on every corner so it really doesn't matter.

There are a whole lot more electrical outlets then gas stations.

Most places where you could drive 100 MPH over 150 miles of distance don't have any 'corners' with gas stations either.

If you're talking about the Street Light Grand Prix, within city limits, my money is on Tesla Model S 85+ to outlast any ICE that has less than a 40 gallon fuel capacity.

in Germany actually it still really is a problem. When you driving fast on the Autobahn (160-200km/h), you might get 200KM.. my topspeed was 216km/h.. it is really amazing, how easy the p+ reaches topspeed..

But: after 3-5 minutes Autobahn the battery-power gets shut down to 200KW instead of 320.. it doesn't harm the topspeed, but it's really kicking in fast.
When I met Elon Musk last year in munich, he promised me, the Supercharger Network would serve at least every 200KM (125Miles).
I have the car since 2 months and I would love to make long trips, but without a working SG-Network it's to complicated for a comftorbale ride. The south of germany has relativly good density, but in the western part... Although we are living in the part with the highest density of population..but..I'm feeling like sitting on an island of non-supercharging..and I wait to get connected to the mainland.
I have a lot of visits to do- in whole europe! Go Tesla!

my average usage is 450Wh/Mile... 280Wh/KM

SCCRENDO: This is my hometown. Some of these roads are 15 miles from the nearest house or farm. They are literally straight as an arrow with no exits or entrances for miles. Visibility is miles so there's no place for the Sheriff to hide - and even if he were hiding maybe only two or three cars pass by per day so it wouldn't be worth his time.

Plus I went to school with all of them. They'd ask for a ride. ;)

SCC;
Reminds me of the putatively true story of Mrs. Jones, town spinster, racing her Model A (T?) down Mainstreet at the seriously illegal speed of 30 mph. The constable pulled her over, and asked why she was so uncharacteristically speedy today. She replied that she was very low on gas and was hurrying to the station to refill before she ran out.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen