Foren

ZUR TESLA-COMMUNITY
REGISTRIERENEinloggen

Charging with 110v outlet as primary charger

I will be receiving my MS in the coming few weeks. Since I rent my house and will be moving in the next six months I may use a 110v outlet as my primary charging source for the near future. Are there any MS owners out there who do this? If so are there any guidelines / precautions I should know about? Thanks.

If you live in proximity to available Level II charging or have it available @ work you might be okay by just topping off at home and doing the bulk of your charging at either of those. It could be doable if you need to tide over until your living arrangements change.

expect about 3mi/hr so your commute would have to be @36 miles or less round trip if you can't recharge at work...

I use 110 as my primary charger and it works fine.
My commute is just 28 miles so haven't had any issues.

I have a 44 mile commute and I'm planning to charge from 9 to 7 to take advantage of the off peak rates and then top off if needed on weekends.

agiangone;
top off with longer 110, or 240?

Recharging 0-91% (a full standard charge) will take about 53 hours, so you won't ever be able to fully use the battery. Even if you can recover your normal usage, you will have trouble recharging after any unexpected driving, plus it seems a shame to have an 85kWh Model S and only drive it 25mi/day :).

It really isn't that expensive to have a 240V outlet installed if you can at all.

@brian

Yes I meant with the same 110.

@jat

Agreed, eventually the 14-50 is coming but it'll be a couple of months. BTW it is not going to be an 85KWh only a 40

I am planning to install a 240v outlet but since getting my S-60 last week have been just using a standard outlet with no problems, getting 3-4 miles per hour of charge. Should be fine for anyone without a long commute.

If you take a big road trip you may want to top off at a public level 2 charger (see the plugshare and recargo mobile apps) or a supercharger.

@agiangone - ok, a 40kWh makes more sense, as you can do a full charge in about a day.

I am a 1 week old owner and still relying on my 110v outlet until I am convinced otherwise. I have a question on maximizing MS battery longevity. Is there any detriment to battery longevity if a MS consistently maintains a charge that varies between 45-65% charge capacity over a span of years, versus a battery that maintains a charge that varies between 65-85% of capacity? Because I am relying on a 110v outlet, I find that I can only maintain the former range of charge, but want to make sure this does not adversely affect battery life over the long run.

@rockyb - I doubt it. Generally it is staying at too low a charge or too full a charge for a period of time that causes problems.

Agree with jat, as long as you're not running down to near zero a lot, being in that mid range state of charge shouldn't be bad. "trickle" charging with 110 won't hurt the battery at all either, so as long as you don't get range anxiety, I wouldn't be overly concerned. Just plug in to your 110 as often as you can. If it gets cold, I think you might not get the full 3 miles/hour either as it might get used up with holding the battery temp, but if you're in a garage I think that will be OK.

Thanks guys. The speed of these responses tells me I am not the only one in love with my new toy. Is it wrong to dream about a car?

After I got my car, the charger did not fit in the outlet I had installed a couple weeks earlier. It turns out the electrician accidentally used a Nema 14-30 instead of 14-50. My experience was also a charge of about 3 miles per hour.

A 110, what do you drive 2 days a week? Thats a joke

I live in a condo, charge on 110V (fortunately work from home so I get 20 hours of charging a day), and repay the HOA using this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RGF29Q/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?i...

My advice to anyone considering 110V charging is "have a backup plan." For me, it's a free SemaConnect unit a few miles away, and some ChargePoint units at the local mall. If you get below about 20F (guessing) I think you get zero miles of range added per hour - you just end up keeping your battery warm, and with lower temperatures you might even LOSE range.

Charging on 110V in a locale where you get long, cold winters is practically impossible IMO, unless your garage stays fairly warm.

I drive 30 to 40 miles a day and have been just fine with charging at 120V. I recover 40 miles overnight.

On the weekends if I run the battery down to 0 I just plug in Sunday night. Come Monday morning I have 40 miles, enough to make it to work and back.

I can Level 2 charge at work. That is, so long as the chargers aren't all hogged by Leaf's, as is usually the case. But I've only done that twice out of novelty.

At some point I'll probably put in a NEMA 14-50. But 5 weeks of having the car so far and I haven't felt a pressing need.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen