Foren

ZUR TESLA-COMMUNITY
REGISTRIERENEinloggen

Could a 600 miles range Tesla be possible in the next two years?

Another magic battery. Yawn.

If this battery innovation proves practical for Tesla, I expect it to take at least 4 years of development and testing before it's ready to mass produce.

Ron :)

Around six years ago Elon said that 500 mile car is possible now. It would just cost a lot.

You would need to get that battery in production before it becomes reality. There have been batteries like this in labs for couple of years now. IOW not anything new.

COULD A 600 MILES RANGE TESLA BE POSSIBLE IN THE NEXT TWO YEARS?

Nr.:

This has been another example of a simple answer to a simple question.

:)

@holidayday | JULY 16, 2014 wrote:

"COULD A 600 MILES RANGE TESLA BE POSSIBLE IN THE NEXT TWO YEARS?

Nr.:

This has been another example of a simple answer to a simple question.

Sorry, but I disagree. Tesla could build such a car in 2 years.
However, I don't expect them to do so because it would be a costly distraction from their main goals. Such a car would be quite expensive; they couldn't sell many of them. It's more important to roll out the MX and Gen3 with modest improvements in range.

Ron :)

@Grinnin'

again, the magic factor of 2: I give you 530 miles (compared to today's 265 EPA). Please tell me (in 2 years production, not in 20 years): what would be the size, the weight, the (additional) production cost (in chips/memory, called "yield").

And, again, I mean "build", not "show a demonstrator" - would it be a Hummer++ (4tons (German)=4.000kg (today's MS is 2,2tons)?

Again, being generous, I bet it's not possible neither to do it for 200k€ nor for do it "in production" either (production means not do it "hand-crafted")

Keep in mind, as batteries improve in energy density, you will probably NOT see range increase two-fold. You will more likely see the range stay the same, or increase marginally, while the weight of the car decreases dramatically. They are MUCH more interested in reducing weight right now than in increasing range beyond what ICE cars currently do.

I think that as energy density increases, costs drop, Tesla may offer 500 nominal mile battery option. Hi speed driving, use of heaters, AWD, etc could use more power. The next version MS may be lighter and would help.

It is like Merceds S63 with V-12 twin multistage turbochargers. Do we really need that? Folks still buy it and similar cars. Some have waiting list.

Elon announced a battery pack upgrade to the roadster that will allow a 400 mile range he said you could drive nonstop from LA to San Francisco. If you assume highway speeds for 400 miles I'll bet a much slower driver could squeeze out 600 miles from that same pack. So my answer would be "yes".

It's 'possible' now, it just would cost a gozillion Galactic Universal Credits to acquire. If you've got the GUC, it's all good!

Weight isn't affected that much. Current 85kWh battery pack weight about 500kg. Less than 25% of the car total. It's the cost that is affected most.

If we assume 8% annual drop in weight for same battery capacity, then Model III 85kWh will be roughly 50% lighter than Model S pack: 250kg. If the car itself is also lighter then you reach same range with less battery. That 85kWh could be enough for 600 miles for some hypermiler already.

My guess is that around 400 miles EPA in two years.
600 miles? Na

Elon said that he could have easily made a 600-700 mile pack now but the price was the reasoning behind choosing the 250-300 mark for the S.

The technology exists but the cost is not where he could do it without making the car alot more expensive.

However, I imagine as battery tech goes down in price (maybe even after the giga factory alleviates some overhead in battery aquisition) he could release larger packs but you would have to get your suspention re-configured for the added weight. I heard that even between the 60 and 85 kw packs that suspention had to be configured differently to compensate for the weight difference.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen