Foren

ZUR TESLA-COMMUNITY
REGISTRIERENEinloggen

Edmunds claims true range is 120 miles...

Vampire loss when sitting overnight. Not sure if that's the proper way to calculate range, but probably not.

+1 to vampire losses.

Tesla reallly needs to solve the vampire loss problem. To me it is the number one item on my wish list as I put so few miles on the car that overnight losses are a substantial proportion of my electric usage.

What is it with journalists these days? Do they enjoy printing demonstrably false statements or are they really just stupid? I'm going with the latter. Ask any Tesla owner and you will find that they have driven 200 miles or more on a single charge. Stupid, stupid article.

Note that the article did not talk about vampire lost. It didn't mention how cold it was (and we all know there is charge loss when not plugged in in a cold environment). It just made a bald face untrue statement about "real world" driving as if their contrived "test" was in any way indicative of how 99.99% of Tesla owners treat their cars.

We know Edmunds likes ICE. This is such a stupid article - even with Vampire losses this statement is just nonsense.

Another article from a journalist who maybe doesn't know his car all that well. First of all, what is a "long-term 2013 Tesla Model S"? He says it was fully charged "packing 251 miles of range". If he did a full Standard charge the rated range would have read around 239-242. If he did a full Max range charge, the rated range would have read around 265-270. Is he even talking about rated range? Maybe he's talking about projected range as displayed on the energy graph which can vary significantly from rated range depending on how you drive the car. The vampire load loss is a problem and needs to be fixed ASAP, but I don't think it would have accounted for the losses over the weekend reported in the article, but leaving your reading light on might. Just sayin' this article needs a little more explanation.

Gosh- my S doesn't seem to know it has a range limit of 120 miles. It routinely goes well over 200 with no problem. Oh well. Glad I don't have the "problem"..... Come on Edmunds! what are you doing??

That's crazy and demonstrably false. It's just going to make them seem foolish.

@stevenmaifert: "long-term 2013 Tesla Model S" is how they are referring to their car.
This is the car they've purchased for their fleet to test over many months. Hence, "long term"

Each of us who reads the article should make comments. Tell them of our experiences which are drastically different than theirs.

I took delivery two weeks ago so can't really claim long term test like Edmonds, but last week I enjoyed a 210 mile round trip through Illinois and Indiana and arrived home with many miles to spare. Not sure what a driver could do to achieve only 120 miles? And, oh by the way, the Tesla is such a pleasure to drive that I now find myself looking for reasons to take a road trip!

LMAO. I have a 60 kwh and have done the 200 mile stretch from Delaware to Connecticut averaging 55-60 mph. That's funny!

I've done screws on 265mi actual range vs 265mi rated range at 69mph cruise control many times if your goal is range. Of course I rarely drive that far in a day so other days I drive in a "spirited" manner. Obvious adjustments required for wind, speed, elevation, and temp just like an ICE car. Anyone who gets lesser results is a shoe-in for a position at the NYT.

It seems like the common thread with this article, the NY Times article and past bricking is not plugging the car in every night. Preventing the "vampire" drain is an important issue for Tesla.

@had my tesla 1 week and getting really close to the rated range. I don't understand these articles. Love the car!

I see the ability to start each day with a full charge as a huge advantage - why would you not plug in overnight. Oh yes - no one reads the story about how it just works.

Interesting comment today. I was telling someone about the car and suggested they read a few of the reviews on-line. The gentleman says "Who cares what the reviewers say. I want to know what YOUR experience has been". Smart guy. Makes me realize how irrelevant these reviewers really are once the public has more real world experience than they do.

Plugging in overnight wherever you go is a problem only we early adopters are going to face. Soon every hotel and parking garage will have ev plugs. For now we just have to plan our trips with chargepoints in mind or just use the wife's gas guzzler.

A quick question for current owners. I have a new Honda that tracks range and MPG. The Honda range and MPG calculations become grossly inaccurate if I reset the A/B trip counters between fill-ups. The calculations become more accurate after driving about 40-60 miles, but are never quite right until I refill the gas tank. Do Model S range calculations become inaccurate when the trip counters are reset at mid-charge, or are they always accurate? I ask this because the reporter may have reset them upon receiving the car for the weekend, or only seen the range numbers after someone else reset the trip counters. Could this be what happened? Could a few of you owners try this and report your findings? Could it also vary by software version?

The main range indicator is not part of the trip computers. Its based on the battery state of charge divided by a fixed amount for rated range.

Of course you can't expect the range to last parked overnight in the cold without plugging it in. It's like sticking a partially charged iPhone into the freezer overnight and expecting it last for a long call the next morning. That is a case of RTFM (see page 25).

It all depends on how you drive it too. These links:

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/model-s-efficiency-and-range
http://insideevs.com/heres-how-speed-impacts-range-of-the-tesla-model-s/

have a couple good graphs that suggest that someone getting only 120 miles range means he's driving 100 mph. Or he's stomping on the pedal all the time. Going the other way completely:

http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-s-sets-unofficial-range-record-at-423-5...

Someone got record-breaking 432 miles of range out of a Model S.

This is gutter reporting, he could have driven it 1/2 a mile a day for a month (15 miles) and when it was nearly dead at the end of that month declared the true range is 20 miles, its an incredibly misleading description.

Don't cite the 425 miles; it was done on flat secondary roads at 25 mph. Not a useful comparison.

stuberman and other MS owners, can you provide some idea of the amount of vampire loss you are experiencing? Have you ever left the car unplugged from say Fri pm to Sun pm and noted changes in range, garage temp, and then range after battery has warmed up? I realize the Owner's Guide says the battery discharge rate averages 1%/day when not plugged in but it would be useful to see real world numbers at various temps.

If Tesla's numbers are accurate, the Edmunds editor shouldn't have lost more than 15 miles of range (assume 2%/day, 3 days, 250 mile range) rather than the nearly 100 miles he claims he lost.

He says city driving, so maybe jackrabbiting every stoplight?

Also: what city? SF hills eat charge faster than SD.

Unplugged the S on a Monday morning after a Max range charge and attempted to drive back and forth to work the rest of the week without plugging the car in over night. With the loses when parked at work during the day and the overnight loses, I barely made it back home on Thursday evening having driven 160 actual miles in 37C average temperatures. Yeah it is a stupid way to use the S but I did it for science.

37 Celsius?

Thanks July10Models. Which battery do you have?

losses

X Deutschland Site Besuchen