Foren

ZUR TESLA-COMMUNITY
REGISTRIERENEinloggen

Help! "Line Sync Error" message on the Tesla with the Universal Mobile NEMA 14-50

Need help asap.

We just got our Tesla #1316 today, plugged it in Universal Mobile NEMA 14-50, got the flashing blue light,then a flashing red light and then "line sync error" message.

Unplugged everything, plugged it in again, and got the same sequence.

Car charges normally (albeit slowly!) on the 110.

We called Tesla, and they say its a problem with the line.

We called the electrician and he says line is fine, it's a problem with the car.

What should we do?

I can charge it on the slow charger for now, but I want to drive this car on my commute, 64 miles a day!

IIRC I have read here that if the amps are too high you get that message, and solution was firmware upgrade.

I'm not sure I remember correctly, so don't take this as fact.

ask in www.teslamotorsclub.com for help if you haven't done already. Try to manually set your roadster to lower amps (eg 30 amps) and charge to full. If it works, increase by 5 amps on the next charge. This should verify your installation is delivering the amperage for NEMA 14-50 for an extended period.

With the UMC, manually set the current down to like 16amps and see if that works. If so, then move it up until it doesn't work.. You can change the current while the car is charging. So if it starts at 16, slowly increase the current. Watch the voltage on the display. It might drop with the higher current. If it drops too low you'll get that message. So if it does drop at higher currents and the car stops charging, get a different electrician. Voltage drop on a line is the product of current * resistance. Too much resistance in your wiring will cause a greater voltage drop with greater current. Could be using too small a gauge of wire, could be bad connection in the receptacle, could be a bad breaker or something else on the breaker. This is important. If there is too much resistance somewhere, that voltage drop is producing heat and power loss. That voltage drop * current is power going into heat which could be wires getting hot in your house or the receptacle. You don't want to burn your house down.

I had a similar problem and found that it was due to electrical (RF) interference from a Compact Flourescent light bulb located directly above the car. I replaced the light bulb with an incandescent bulb and the problem was resolved. My working theory is that some CF bulbs create a high frequency signal that is picked up on the sync line.

How did you find that out? That sounds like "the moon phase is wrong and there are too many sunspots" -type of problem for troubleshooting.

How did I find this out?... I was struggling with the issue, since it was intermittent and only seemed to happen when I was charging the car (in the evening), but when my wife drove the roadster, there was no problem with charging :-)
One Saturday evening, the car was charging fine, and when I walked into the garage, the light came on (motion sensor and light sensor), and the roadster gave a 'line sync error' and stopped charging. My 16 year old son was the one who suggested that it was the CF lightbulb... I didn't believe him at first, but after 2 hours of testing, we determined that 5 out of 8 of the different CF bulbs in our house would cause this issue 100% of the time.
Strange but true...

Strange indeed. Utter nightmare to find out unless you get lucky (like you did). Reminds me of one MS Word document which crashed the Word, and the reason turned out to be buggy display driver. That took some debugging too.

good to know that RF interference is a problem with EV infrastructure! A CF shouldn't be an unexpected item in the vicinity of a charging car. Any idea if some FCC rules were exceeded?

The usual FCC regulations (CFR 47 Part 15) don't apply to automobiles. They are specifically excluded. Also there are no susceptibility requirements under the FCC rules (although there are under CE rules).

We only use CF bulbs in our house and in the garage; but have never experienced this problem. Was the bulb very close to the charger?

Tesla engineers need to be aware of this!!

Wow. Either the bulb was putting out way too much interference, or the Tesla is just too sensitive to it.

5 out of 8 bulbs did it, psusi. CF bulbs are insane crap.

Anne - did you ever find the source of the problem? (I guess I could ask you via email, but thought people might like to know the resolution ...) b.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen