Foren

ZUR TESLA-COMMUNITY
REGISTRIERENEinloggen

How will our 2012s compare to future models?

I was wondering how our v1.0 hardware will compare to future revs. I'm not really talking about software, as I expect we'll get upgrades (but eventually our hardware won't support all features). On the one hand, it is a 1.0 and TM will learn a lot. On the other hand, they will be working to reduce manufacturing costs and boost profit margins. So, in the end, will our cars seem like second-class relics in 5 years or will they still seem desirable? Right now, I'm so happy with this best-car-ever that I can't imagine buying another car ever again (and I'm typically an every 2 years kind of guy). So, your thoughts? Some of mine (+ and - notation are impact on value of 2012 model):

+/- expect future weight to go down
- expect interior design to evolve and become more in-line with Beemer features/comforts (yes, including a console...my alternative at http://hannelconsulting.com/tesla/Console.htm)
- believe it or not, think they can squeak out even more performance from drivetrain/electronics!
- paint/finish work likely to improve (many of us have lots of micro-scratches/swirls out of factory)
+ more things likely to be priced as options vs. included
- improved battery and charging technology (density, efficiency, weight, etc)
- even faster supercharging

Besides the battery, the CPU or GPU or other main board chips might get "too slow" to handle certain software upgrades. Also I would be interested if the 3G could be upgraded to 4G.

I've read a number of articles and posts here talking about how the car seems to be over-engineered - as though Tesla wants to leave nothing to chance. What you might see in the future is that as they gain reliability data they might dial back certain parts of that over-engineering to bring costs down. So it may well wind up that the first batch of cars is actually "better" than later ones...

NN - 170kwh in forty minutes would require 255kw
continuous power. Something like 500 amps at 500 volts!
Maybe we'll all need personal nuclear reactors at home,
or at least at supercharger stations :)

I am expecting a 10 GWh battery soon... filled with sunshine at the factory and to be refilled at the 300000 miles service, actually they would just exchange the battery... 30 min and your on the road again.

Sorry my math is off again... 100 MWh would do.

@Electron, you not too far off with "personal nuclear reactors" if LPP experiment does what it might do. 5MW aneutronic fusion in size of small room. Perfectly safe, no pollution, costs teeny weeny fraction of current electricity.

Timo;
5MW is a lotta kW. 5,000, in fact.
It can be run lower, at any rate actually, but that's a lot of surplus capacity for any personal use! Unless your last name is "Frankenstein", and you're into animating pastiche corpses.

Parking Sensors are the rumor on the 2014 Model S

X Deutschland Site Besuchen