Foren

ZUR TESLA-COMMUNITY
REGISTRIERENEinloggen

Nick's glitch/due bill thread (P2698)

Hi all. I ** love ** my Model S (so much that I wrote a book about it.

But as a new car from a new factory from a new company it isn't perfect. This is a thread for me to keep track of the various glitches, due items and idiosyncrasies of my Model S (P2698, VIN 02298). Please comment if you feel like it, but it's really a place for me to post things and make them visible to TM.

Pearl White Performance with dark wheels, CF trim, and tech package.

Delivered 1/3/13
Initial issues:

• no parcel shelf delivered 3/20
  • no footwell cover installed 2/10/13
  • rear offside tire wall damaged (looks like the tire was either run when flat, or damaged during install on the rim) replaced 1/25/13
  • passenger side rear seat belt drags part replaced 3/4/13
  • wrong wheel color on car display fixed 1/7/13
  • charge port cover intermittently won't open using touch screen and/or UMC button. Port clicks but does not spring open. fixed 2/10/13
  • was filthy when delivered, including wax pencil marks on windows detailed on 1/10/13
  • delivered with 4.0 software

01/07/13: The wheel color was fixed on a visit to service. Charge port problem could not be recreated during service visit, but subsequently reappeared.
01/10/13: Car was detailed on TM's nickel

Service Manager says they'll replace the tire next time I can go by the service center.

01/13/13: Today while driving the cruise control suddenly stopped working.

Stopped the car, powered it off and back on again and it started working again.

01/24/13: Had SunTek PPFC applied to full front (including lights), hood, front fenders, mirrors, all doors, rear impact areas in front of and behind rear wheels, and a strip below the rear lift gate.
01/25/13: Tesla Dania replaced the damaged tire, and tried to adjust the charge port. They made it worse. Now I can't get it to open except by forcing it.
01/26/13: Car forgot that the Energy widget was supposed to be in the left dash area, and when nav was canceled it showed blank instead.
01/26/13: doing a full range charge for the first time to see what range it shows. May be taking it on a long run in a couple of weeks.
01/29/13: upgraded to 1.19.42 and now have #VINISEMPTY instead of VIN on about screen.
01/30/13: a reboot fixed the VIN empty problem
02/03/13: washed car today and drivers door popped open of its own accord. Emailed Ownership. Charge port still intermittent, but improving.
02/10/13: got my dash cam installed today see this thread. Also had charge port door lubed again - seems OK, finally. Was going to get the rear seatbelt fixed but they hadn't ordered the part. Picked up the footwell cover.
03/04/13: cruise control failed for second time. Sent email to ownership.
03/20/13: parcel shelf delivered
04/03/13: updated to 1.25.40 (4.3)
04/06/13: P85 badge installed at Dania
07/17/13: visit to Dania to fix passenger door handles (reset controller), compressor noise (working as designed) and poor radio signal (could not reproduce); also tire rotation (not necessary)
07/19/13: Spectra Photosync film applied to windows. 75 on front; 35 elsewhere.
07/19/13: 'Car needs service' error. Called TM and they saw errors in the logs - low voltage
07/20/13: 12V battery replaced; DC-DC KET HVIL connectors replaced. Unrelated: rear axle nut and washers replaced.
07/22/13: noticed orange residue below both light clusters.
09/22/13: recurrence of orange staining below light cluster.
11/08/13: Into Dania to install rear cup holders. 5.6 installed (1.45.45). Replaced bolt on front crash structure. Rotated tires and aligned wheels. Received new trunk load floor.
[sometime in December] 5.8 (1.49.24) installed.
12/18/13: 5.8 (1.49.30) installed
12/19/13: Noticed delamination on rear view mirror.
02/11/14: 5.8.7 installed
02/13/14: Noticed a clicking from steering on full lock.
02/14/14: Tesla must be reading these forums. Got a note from Dania service saying there's a know issue and a fix for the clicking.
02/15/14: Steering fixed and mirror replaced at Dania. Both under warranty.
03/12/14: 5.8.8 installed
03/20/14: Front windshield cracked at driver's A-pillar. Insurance claim for replacement; Tesla didn't want to do it under warranty.
03/21/14: New front windshield installed.
04/13/14: Upgraded my dashcam to a BlackVue 550 2 channel (front and rear)
04/21/14: Underbody protection installed. Front rotors replaced (no more squeaking brakes!). 5.9 installed.
06/18/14: Button broke on Key Fob. Got replacement fob/reprogrammed at Dania.
10/16/14: Blew out sidewall on right rear tire; replaced both rears (13,500, 6/32). Center louvre replaced; vanity mirror cover replaced. 1.67.43 installed

@nickjhowe | JANUARY 29, 2013: New one tonight - upgraded to 4.2 and have '#VINISEMPTY on the Tesla about screen where the VIN should be.

I had this once under V4.1. I either rebooted the 17" screen or power cycled the car and the correct VIN was displayed.

Thanks Alex. Will try that.

RWFI

@Brian - RWFI???

New glitch on Feb 3rd - drivers door opened on its own while I was washing the car. TM Ownership has been informed.

Reboot Will Fix It. RWFI.

Ahh...

This sounds like Windows Vista on wheels. Reboots will resolve issues. I understand we're first adopters to this amazing vehicle, but at some point, we'll all become frustrated with the small issues if Tesla is NOT reading these forums and working towards resolutions. 400 cars produced a week, means that more and more owners will have these issues and service and response times will begin to drop.

Dropping response times sounds like a good deal!

I realized after I hit submit that I wasn't correct. It would be great if Tesla allowed me to edit my post :)

@nickjhowe, is the issue you are having with the doors similar to what others have reported? What's common among all these posts is that the issue the door happens after a car wash or rain.

Seems to be. My guess is that somehow the [electromagnetic??] touch sensor in the door handle is getting triggered by the moisture. Maybe a simple sensitivity that needs adjusting via software update. Hopefully not a more serious design flaw.

@nickjhowe - my rear seatbelts scrape against something inside of the upper mechanism when being pulled out at a normal angle. Is this the same issue you're having, and if so, is it fixable by service?

I noticed that the first time I pulled out the rear passenger seatbelt there was a lot of friction/snagging. Very little when pulling towards the center of the car and more so when pulling towards the front of the car. But when you are sitting in the seat, unless you are tiny, you have to pull it forward some (where the issue is) before you can pull it toward the center. After trying this a few times, I noticed that it seemed little smoother regardless of the angle. So I pulled it out and let it retract about 30 times and the friction/snagging appears to be mostly gone now. Weird.

@scriptacus - yes. It is a known problem (has an ID in the service system) and has an orderable part to fix it. Speak to TM service.

Some cars seem better than others, and even the perfect ones still seem to scrape a little when pulling across the body - but there's definitely a problem with some cars that can be fixed/improved.

Thanks @MikeAdams. I'll try it.

@nickjhowe - had this same missing VIN after updating to .42 but it reappeared about 24 hour later. Also my wheel graphic changed from 21" to 19". Speaking with ownership they said its a commonly reported bug that will be fixed in a future release. I was at the service center so I asked the technician if he could fix it; he said yes and did some very quick magic to make it all correct.

@wse51 - same thing for me as well. This is a new bug with .42 that was not there before. Annoying but one of the few bugs I've found in .42 Overall software quality is getting better IMO now that they are releasing fewer changes at a slower pace.

Tags turned up a couple of days ago, but no title yet.

Still awaiting the parcel shelf (starting to ship, it looks like), and the fix for the rear seat belt. No word from Tesla Service who ordered the part a couple of weeks ago.

I think I will put the P85 badge on the back if they can order one.

Going in tomorrow to order my vanity plates and HOV sticker.

Bought some Lloyds Ultimats but don't like the color. Am offering them for sale over at TMC: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/14373-Set-of-Lloyds-Ultimats-(Parchment)-for-sale

Clickable link: my ultimats for sale

@nn - wrong thread?

Always.

Since I bought the car I've had a very deep base rumble sometimes when the car turns on. Is almost painful to the ears. Seems like Kunal on this thread has found the solution...

Kunal | FEBRUARY 28, 2013 NEW
What you hear is the AC compressor vibrating against the plastic tub which is the floor of the front trunk when the compressor starts up. It is fixed by affixing insulating tape between the compressor top and the plastic tub which is the front trunk. The AC compressor is under the tub at the back closer to the front of the battery pack.

I need to get service to check this out...

♪♫ The AC bone's connected to the frunk bone ♫

@nickjhowe - can you get the service ID for the seatbelt issue? I briefly stopped by service yesterday and the guy I talked to seemed to think it was more of a design issue and not necessarily fixable (all the cars do it to some extent... we checked at a few in the lot). He did say that if it becomes a problem (fraying, etc...) to let him know and he'd see what they can do. I don't think he was aware of any parts or service ID for it, but if there is one I'd love to make them aware of it and get the issue resolved.

@scriptacus - I just sent a email to my service manager. Will let you know.

Got the part replaced today to fix the dragging rear passenger side seat belt. Below you'll see the part they replaced. The picture on the left shows the old part, plus the new part of the opposite side (which wasn't needed). No idea why the old part had been hacked apart.

Uploaded from Photo Slice

On the way home from the service center my cruise control failed for the second time. Was on I-95 and using the +/- 1mph increments to stay in the traffic flow. Guess it got too many inputs within a certain time frame and got upset. This is exactly what happened the first time it failed a couple of weeks ago.

Untitled

I've sent an email to ownership suggesting that they adjust the thresholds.

@scriptacus - I couldn't get a service bulletin number for the seat belt problem; they said that corporate sends emails directly to the techs with known issues. But you can see from the part there was definitely a problem on my car.

My now two week old S has developed an issue with the driver's side rear exterior door handle. It will not retract, but remains locked, so the door cannot be opened from the outside. It previously was doing this on the passenger rear side, but only a couple of times right after delivery. Over on TMC some have suggested resetting the mechanism by pulling the appropriate fuses then reinstalling after a few minutes. Any experience here? I emailed ownership, but only last night.

@darmok there are known issues with the door handles. My rear passenger door would extend but not open for a day. Has since come back, but service will replace it Wednesday. I suspect ownership will schedule you for service. I had a two week wait for this and a collection of other (minor) issues.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen