Foren

ZUR TESLA-COMMUNITY
REGISTRIERENEinloggen

For the Tesla Gen III, what 100 new features would you like to imagine or see available ?

Teslarians, what futuristic, hitech, game changer, ultra green, uber-cool, alto safety, mass production friendly, cost reducing, profit increasing features should Tesla's next generation, Gen III, vehicle have ? Also include Model C, S & X.

Whether large or small, simple or complex, technical or not, what are your ideas ?

To get started, here are some thoughts:

1) Put see through glass Tesla Shield  
   on hood  made of painted glass. The
   shield and letter T are left clear glass 
   and shows off the frunk by day. At 
   night a Hue light , with millions of 
   color variations can can be turn on 
   inside the frunk to light up the shield 
   and T during night driving. 

http://www.meethue.com/en-US

2) Have detachable Household AC plug  
 battery  packs near base of seats  
 powered by solar panels on roof.

3) Anti crash system stops car from
  running into things. Qualifies for   
  insurance discount?

4) Retractable semi-opaque, tinted sun
 visors controlled by button on
 steering wheel similar to pulling down  
 a window shade electronically. It's 
 more functional because it allows the 
 driver to control visor on driver's 
 window, passenger window, and both 
 sides of the windshield. Could this be the world's best sun visor?

5) Have all wheels turn to 90 degrees,
  great for parallel parking. Have car
  capable of self parking.

6) Create @tesla/talk.car Internet
    extension  for car related services 
    only to compliment .com sites. 

The .car extensions have voice only interface, with limited button pushing similar to a radio, no texting except through voice to text.

7) Shape the red tail lights as close
  as possible to the Tesla T Logo.
  Red led lights across bumper under
  the plate spell out Tesla Motors EV
  and highlight when brakes applied.

8) Equip Gen III with two sliding doors
  or 4 regular doors. To create
  easier access the opening door
  includes 1/3 of the roof. Also press a
  button in the door jamb to slide the
  front seats forward.

A variation of this, have 1/3 strip of 
   roof retract toward the center of the 
   roof when you open the door.

9 ) NFD Near Field Discounts auction.
  Type in lunch etc. 5 miles distance, 
  2hrs for exa and nearby Merchants 
  continuously update bids against  
  each other on giving you    
  discounts for lunch.

10) KeyPay/CarPal digitized keychain 
      can be used to pay electronically, 
      and receits  are tagged& organized 
      into personal & business categories 
      for taxes. Syncs with smartphone 
      app and car consol to store info on the web.

11) Computerized self parking, both 
      back in and parallel .

Nice find Jr. Now you're up to speed on the master plan you can enjoy the ride with the rest of us. Should be entertaining!

Solar City to provide photovoltaics from stem to stern.
The most basic of controls a la iPad mini.
125 mile range to start.
Smaller than a bmw 3; bigger than a bmw 1
Seating for 4.
Handling better than a porsche.
Smoothness better than a Rolls Royce.

There's one circumstance the BFI "goose it" strategy when stuck in snow can work, and probably conditioned the drivers to try it every time: shallow snow, so you cut down to the underlying pavement, and suddenly gain traction, and launch forward. Otherwise, you're making a smooth ice trap for the tires.

^^ wrong thread. Sorry.

Top 3 things I would like to see in Gen III (keeping it under 100 here, people).

1. 300-mile range (w/Supercharging capability, of course)
2. Coupe/Hardtop Convertible body style
3. Heads-Up Display (speed, navigation information)

TeslaSomeday,

Nice streamlined priorities.

Like to note cold weather performance is a hot topic right now. I think Tesla can attack this with an "Artic Package of Options", similar to their Tech Package" and "Sound Package", and market this as the best performing cold weather performing All EV in the world.

So I'm imagining what things they could put in their "Artic Package" for some Gen III Models ?
1). 4WD
2). Auto rocking/manual rocking with a wheel column stick, mentioned in another thread.
3). Optional screen app to display 3 days of weather and battery charge left when parked according to the
weather.
4). Google maps that gives the option to overlay the weather onto your trip directions display.
5). Heated wipers so they can't freeze up and collect ice.

Other ideas for an Artic Package of options ?

Some suggestions for suggestion categories. I can think of a couple of categories. One, category are suggestions that address various perceived Tesla/EV anxieties. Here's a list of 11 anxiety areas you could address with ideas:

1). Range & Charging anxiety
2). EV performance anxiety
3). Cost to purchase anxiety
4). Ability to generate mass sales anxiety
5). Slow production & associated expenses anxiety
6). Cold weather procedures anxiety
7). Bricking anxiety
8). Battery fire & general car safety anxiety
9). Pressure salesman anxiety
10) Funding new models, platforms & more production plants anxiety.
11) Quantity and speed of rollout of supercharger stations anxiety

By the time Gen III comes out, Tesla should be the number one All EV manufacturer in the world. And the Gen III platform should help to increase that lead through their various Gen III platform models.

So another category for suggestions, are items that can create qualities that are Tesla grinning unique, best in class, & desirable. Eleven items in this category for suggestions:

1) Best in class digital displays
2) Best in class cargo space
3). Acceleration & general car performance
4). Wireless connectivity/updates & maybe dash apps
5). Superior fuel & maintenance savings
6). Fastest free EV charger, the supercharger
7). Highest ratings for safety
8). Best no hassle sales experience
9). Best in class battery range
10) Superior styling & design
11) Advanced manufacturing techniques, efficiencies & economies

These are all areas to direct ideas to.

Even at the present, I don't think there's another "all-EV" mfr in the running. Can you think of one?

BrianH

Good clarification point. About the definition of "All Electric Vehicles", that needs to be more clear so there is no misunderstanding about my previous statement.

I'm referring to the number of "cars that are "All EV" by a particular manufacturer, not car makers that are 100% All EV manufacturers. This definition of "All EV" cars include cars made by manufacturers like Nissan (Leaf), Toyota (RAV4), Mitsubishi (I-MiEV), Honda (Fit EV), Etc. And for the most part these car makers produce cars other than "All Electric Vehicles" as well.

Soon to be introduced "All EV's" are Chevy Spark (GM), Ford (Focus), BMW (i3), etc. Sometimes these cars are also called Pure Electric Vehicles (PEV); but PEV is confused with PHEV (plugin hybrid electric vehicle).

NOT covered under this definition of "All Electric Vehicles",are hybrids like Volt (GM), the coming Cadillac ELR,...and other hybrids.

Perhaps we should come up with a Tesluthian original acronym term: AEV for "All Electric Vehicle" . Someone could maintain a list of AEV's by model, number of AEV models by company, and total AEV sales per manufacturer.

Without a doubt Tesla will be the number one AEV manufacturer in the USA in a year or two. Number one AEV manufacturer in the world may take a little longer. Perhaps keep AEV score on a country by country basis.

Anyone have any world wide AEV figures by manufacturer ? Can't find any.

Anyway Brian I hope that clears up any confusion. Needless to say that Tesla going from zero AEV's to number 1AEV producer in the USA in about a decade is quite a feat; even if it is a smaller niche market right now.

I believe it's not an accident Tesla is soaring to # 1 AEV manufacturer.
There are many reasons for this, it's quite a milestone actually, with hopefully many more to come for Tesla. But it's an accomplishment that shouldn't be overlooked, or ignored; but celebrated. Why? Because car companies are saying they are giving up on AEV's, I think the other car companies are conceding the AEV market to Tesla because they can't compete with Tesla's platform etc. And Tesla's AEV numbers should prove that shortly.

Yes. All other AEVs will be described as, "Well, it's not a Model S, but ..." ;)

+1

The GenIII Bluestar should have many of the great features introduced in the model S, standard Tesla quality, at an affordable price for most people. It will stretch efficiency even if it costs in terms of convenience and practicality. If you must supercharge more often than a model S of the same year on the same trip because the battery pack has less capacity, that's okay because people who have less money to spend on a car tend to value their time a little less highly than people for whom paying a premium is no problem. If it offers a bit less space and or style than the model S because of a more aerodynamic shape, that's also fine because it might also allow for less battery capacity than will considered plenty on the model S of those days, which will result in perhaps comparable range to today's model S, but at much less cost at least in terms of batteries. Basically the Bluestar will inherit a lot from today's model S, meanwhile the model S will have moved on to introduce a lot more in terms of performance and features. Premium models are meant to be where new features and better performance are developed and brought to market. Besides, if all the cutting edge performance and features end up first or simultaneously in the economy model, then why would anyone in the right mind buy the premium model? Premium models are for those who demand newer and better, and who can afford it, so clearly a different market, but one that can pay for innovations to be introduced which will eventually benefit everyone.

I am increasingly convinced that it would make a lot of sense for Tesla to introduce a revolutionary premium pick-up truck, next. It should have incredible and legendary torque and performance, sufficient to make the monster pick-up trucks in Ford commercials look like horse buggies in comparison. The Tesla truck should literally be able to lift locomotives, or at least something similarly impressive. Maybe lift a bunch of Ford F-250's while carrying tons of cargo in the box? It should also offer tremendous convenience and practicality, in part with standard 110 volt and/or 120 volt sockets hidden under a tail light which can be used to power tools on the job where the grid isn't yet operational, essential home appliances like freezers and refrigerators during power outages, and whatever requires power while camping or at remote work sites. This would be a very simple, clean, economical, and appealing alternative to gas-electric generators. To make all this practical, and to remain in line with the truck philosophy and lifestyle, the battery pack would need to be available in augmented formats, perhaps 120 kWh or greater. Also, like in the models S and X, the pick-up allows for maximum cargo and passenger opportunity space since there is no bulky ICE-related components, so although I cannot quite imagine it, I trust that Tesla can redefine the pick-up truck in terms of what it allows people to do, perhaps with options regarding extra seating versus extra cargo space in the box. Also, maybe it could be made easier to climb into by lowering the height or offering a retractable ladder/stair at the back.

At the risk of becoming unpopular with all those people eagerly awaiting the Bluestar, I believe that the pick-up truck, since it would be another premium model meant to grab the attention and challenge the assumptions of another segment of die-hard ICE believers and EV doubters, should be introduced next and fairly soon, so before the Bluestar. This will further enhance Tesla's brand and image, not to mention the technology, which will ultimately make the Bluestar an even bigger hit when it arrives. Total mass-production of a Bluestar that uses proven technology will go a long way in lowering the cost and therefore the price of the car of the people.

A few more edits on my last post that I wish I could do:

[...] space and[/]or style [...]

[...] for less battery capacity than will [BE] considered plenty on the model S of those days[...]

[...] then why would anyone in the[ir] right mind buy the premium model?

Maybe a single Tesla pick-up should easily win at tug-o-war against a team of the meanest pick-ups the competition has to offer. It's okay if it costs over $100,000, at least a few people will have to have it if it can do all that.

Basically I finish by arguing that the truck's fame will further increase demand for the new affordable car, which will enable an even higher rate of mass-production production than previously hoped for.

@Tesluthian

I like the idea of an "Arctic Package" or cold-weather package, as frosty winters are something that most Americans have to face. This is not as much of an issue in Southern CA, but it would definitely be good for the brand and the proliferation of the Gen III vehicle.

@TeslaSomeday

Yes I agree an "ARTIC PACKAGE" option upgrade would be good for the brand, especially in northern Europe that has a lot of the wealthier countries, but colder climates.

And for the Gen III, I would even have the "Artic Super Package", which is a double skateboard platform, to create not just 75-100% more range; but also more cold weather milage robustness.
For people living in southern California, I would have the "Heavy Platform" available also, without any of the other artic options.

So I see the Gen III, first model coming in two versions:
1) Standard model, $39k or less, 240 miles to 440 miles range whatever technology allows at the best value.
2) Premium Delux model $79K-129k with a double platform, double the miles range, 440-600+ miles or
whatever is allowable by technology. People in Europe may appreciate a smaller luxury car, a place where
narrow streets and tight spaces are common. And cannibalization of MS should not be much of a
problem since that's a larger vehicle. Therefore this Gen III Premium Delux model should all be extra sales
and help subsidize the standard model, plus a little research, while helping cash flow with higher margins.

Successive new Gen III models can strive for price points of 35k, 30k, 25k $20k.

Basically what I'm doing is going from 3 battery pack options, to 2, with a bigger milage gap. The doubling of miles will justify the premium price. Less variation and common parts help keep the price down on the standard model, while at the same time, keeping Tesla best in class and far in the lead for AEV miles per charge. A great advertising point.

Plus Tesla now has a Gen III double thick platform for other models, like a super car, pickup truck, etc. This along with the standard single skateboard platform for the mass market vehicle.

TeslaRocks

I share your enthusiasm for the Texas Cadilliac, or pickup version of the Tesla. Gen III could make a 1/2 ton model, and the MS platform may support a 1-2 ton pickup version. You may need improved batteries or double skateboard platforms to haul the weight any distances.

Another good point, pickups have even better margins than cars, and that should help keep Tesla's interest. And I think rednecks would like it for unique features like the ones you suggested.

It should also have the ability to supercharge other Tesla AEV's and maybe some road service companies and utility corporations, etc would buy them.

I think the priority with the Gen3 is a nice little practical car, but at a very affordable price. It will not have everything the premium models have, and that is why people who can afford to may want a premium model. But downsizing, for example with a range similar to the 40 kWh model S, 0-60 acceleration closer to 10 seconds, and a size closer to a Honda Civic, could really help in keeping prices in check, which brings me to my second point.

The idea of double-thick battery packs seems popular lately, but I don't think it is interesting except in the pick-up, perhaps, and only if needed. Pick-up will need lots of power to do its job and it doesn't matter so much if it costs more as long as it can do more. It would be, after all, or should be a premium model. For all other models, I think the priority should remain increasing energy density in a single stack, which reduces costs while marginally increasing energy efficiency.

Oh, and I don't know much about pick-ups, but I have no problem with the idea that the initial, premium pick-up model should be as heavy or even more as other large pick-ups, like F-250, whatever that weighs. The reason is simple: more weight allows more traction, elementary physics. So if we want the truck to do all of what I described, it will probably be very heavy for traction and because of all those batteries for extra power, and because weight in an EV pick-up might not really affect performance unless a lot of fast driving is being done, in which case the driver should just use their model S or X. To be able of extreme performance, the pick-up will have to be very specialized, which means it will be lame in other respects, a bit like the roadster which doesn't seat many or carry much luggage. The extra battery capacity of the pick-up will help extend the range to compensate for all the extra weight.

Well I've always disliked pick-up trucks, but this Tesla pick-up, if it does even half of what I suggested, just might get me interested in becoming a cowboy, or redneck, instead of just a hill-billy.

To be clear, I am sure that the pick-up will need a brand new platform to be successful. I don't see what other model the full premium pick-up could share its platform with. Hopefully the larger margin of the truck (which will probably cost $100,000 or more) should easily absorb the costs of designing an exclusive platform--and hopefully Tesla will be used to designing new platforms by then and the cost for the design will be low in comparison to that of previous models. Okay I'm done posting for now.

@TeslaRocks

...F250, whatever that weighs.

Sorry for the confusion, when I say 1/2 ton, 1 ton, or 2 ton, I'm referring to the "weight hauling capacity" of the truck, not the weight of the truck. That's what some pickup truck bragging rights are about, how much weight you can haul. People fill the truckbed up with, dirt, gravel, fireplace logs etc.

And also need hitches to haul little flatbeds, etc for hauling stuff like equipment etc. which can be even more weight.

You could also put a 5th wheel in the truckbed, then you could hookup to an RV , (even more weight), and be right at home in an RV park while getting electrically juiced up.

The only problem I see with a pickup truck, is the body parts will all be different, same problem with the roadster too. Initially I see in my crystal ball Tesla keeping new models similar in looks for the highest interchangeability of parts as possible for efficiency and to get the cost down overall. That's why I suggested a luxury version of the first Gen III to complement an affordable, more mass market , standard model, the parts could be as high as 90% the same, giving higher sales and higher production efficiency. These two GIII models would look similar to the MS, which looks similar to the MX.

Oh wow you clarified a long-held question mark of mine, Tesluthian. I always wondered how come a pick-up could weight 1/2 ton when the car I drove weighed over 1 ton. Thanks for the correction!

Parts and production is one headache us dreamers on these boards don't give much thought, too, perhaps, but you have a point on that too. Not sure what the best or easiest solution is, but I have faith in Tesla management.

[...] thought to, perhaps [...]

@TeslaRocks

Glad to help out. Use to have a Ford Ranger, only a half-ton though so not much bragging rights.

Tesla Pick-up should be many tons, then that will mean more traction to tow the impossible. Retractable stud tires could another solution for dirt, as long as people can use them on pavement or cement. With an ICE truck, mass is a problem as the energy is all wasted when decelerating. EV should fix that and prove pick-up can be almost in the same league of efficiency as most other vehicles. Or closer... I'm still not a true truck people, but I'd get excited by a Tesla truck and start looking for rocks to carry and logs to tow.

regenerate electricity at all times even when not breaking

@TeslaRocks

The more weight a GenIII pickup has the better the traction in mud & snow from the weight pushing down on the tires. Also if this G3 could outweigh a bigger truck, then it could out pull it, literally drag it backwards. So why not a double thick skateboard on the G3 P/up? This gives you the extra range, power and pull. And usinesses could buy them & write off some of the cost as a business expense.

Next lets do the wheels, wide 30"+ front wheels and wide 35"+ rear wheels to climb obstacles and smooth out bumps. Next add a little more weight, put in 4 big in-wheel motors for all wheel drive. Next chain it back to back with a Ford 350 and let's see it it can drag it backwards. Ditto with a Tundra, for a Ford Ranger, maybe it could drag two of those backwards, and up a hill. That would make quite a statement for AEV G3 pickup trucks.

I gues we need a new acronym: AET for "All Electric Truck".

The double thick G3 skateboard platform for the Tesla AET will have other uses for other models to complete other objectives & Goals.

Tesla should have a goal of always having a vehicle in its various classes/models that has twice the range of its nearest competitor. Best in class electric range is Tesla's bread & butter and they need to protect that status. A double stack skateboard allows that since no matter what the battery chemistries evolve to, Tesla will always have a model with much more battery volume that can incorporate the latest battery chemistries.

Another goal for Tesla, get a 500 mile per charge AEV out, when possible, just for bragging rights, prestige and excitement it would create. Even if it cost $200k, so be it. Seems to me a Gen3 MR-500 double stack Roadster sports car would be perfect for this mission.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen