Foren

ZUR TESLA-COMMUNITY
REGISTRIERENEinloggen

For the Tesla Gen III, what 100 new features would you like to imagine or see available ?

Teslarians, what futuristic, hitech, game changer, ultra green, uber-cool, alto safety, mass production friendly, cost reducing, profit increasing features should Tesla's next generation, Gen III, vehicle have ? Also include Model C, S & X.

Whether large or small, simple or complex, technical or not, what are your ideas ?

To get started, here are some thoughts:

1) Put see through glass Tesla Shield  
   on hood  made of painted glass. The
   shield and letter T are left clear glass 
   and shows off the frunk by day. At 
   night a Hue light , with millions of 
   color variations can can be turn on 
   inside the frunk to light up the shield 
   and T during night driving. 

http://www.meethue.com/en-US

2) Have detachable Household AC plug  
 battery  packs near base of seats  
 powered by solar panels on roof.

3) Anti crash system stops car from
  running into things. Qualifies for   
  insurance discount?

4) Retractable semi-opaque, tinted sun
 visors controlled by button on
 steering wheel similar to pulling down  
 a window shade electronically. It's 
 more functional because it allows the 
 driver to control visor on driver's 
 window, passenger window, and both 
 sides of the windshield. Could this be the world's best sun visor?

5) Have all wheels turn to 90 degrees,
  great for parallel parking. Have car
  capable of self parking.

6) Create @tesla/talk.car Internet
    extension  for car related services 
    only to compliment .com sites. 

The .car extensions have voice only interface, with limited button pushing similar to a radio, no texting except through voice to text.

7) Shape the red tail lights as close
  as possible to the Tesla T Logo.
  Red led lights across bumper under
  the plate spell out Tesla Motors EV
  and highlight when brakes applied.

8) Equip Gen III with two sliding doors
  or 4 regular doors. To create
  easier access the opening door
  includes 1/3 of the roof. Also press a
  button in the door jamb to slide the
  front seats forward.

A variation of this, have 1/3 strip of 
   roof retract toward the center of the 
   roof when you open the door.

9 ) NFD Near Field Discounts auction.
  Type in lunch etc. 5 miles distance, 
  2hrs for exa and nearby Merchants 
  continuously update bids against  
  each other on giving you    
  discounts for lunch.

10) KeyPay/CarPal digitized keychain 
      can be used to pay electronically, 
      and receits  are tagged& organized 
      into personal & business categories 
      for taxes. Syncs with smartphone 
      app and car consol to store info on the web.

11) Computerized self parking, both 
      back in and parallel .

Niche market works for new tech, but the goal of any smart company should always be as close as possible to mass market... and the process can repeat with even newer tech.

I don't think that double-thick battery packs are interesting EXCEPT only in a colossal pick-up truck (that tows mountains) IF all the batteries needed cannot be fitter on only one level, which is unlikely considering better battery technology by then and the large size of the vehicle. As for the weight of all those batteries, in such a pick-up it would not be an issue and would be an advantage as far as better traction, torque, and towing capacity would be concerned. In any other vehicle, especially passenger cars like the model S and especially the Bluestar, double-thick makes no sense at all. Keep in mind that battery technology is likely to decrease in cost, increase in performance, therefore in time it should decrease in price per kWh. Meanwhile, not to cause any panic, but existing battery packs are likely to loose capacity over time, so even though the old packs should always have salvage value, the money invested in them by the car buyer is a significant depreciation that should be minimized within practical limits. Offering EVs now that have far greater capacity than the 85 kWh, would be the setup of another Solyndra moment for Tesla car owners. A little patience compared to what you propose could reward you with a 1,000 km range, at an affordable cost, and with no degradation, perhaps in time, and with money left over to actually buy that car. Mass market is the solution when it comes to technology, since the material is relatively cheap and the R&D costs can be spread out over many more units.

fitted, not fitter.

1) Side mirrors that can be folded in electronically.
2) Ability to set timer to charge at selected time.
3) Better visors.
4) Pocket (storage) in front door panels
5) Improved voice command integration
6) Option to set command to perform action with HomeLink (ie open gate or door based on location)
7) Auto shut on frunk
8) Better dust seal on back door (somehow dust always seems to get in)
9) Auto crash sensors for front and back

Thanks for asking!

Cp_meyer,
Your welcome. I think most of your wish list will come true by Tesla, or the Tesla store, or someone will post a list of third party vendors. Nice list.

Happy EV Easter.

@TeslaRocks

"...colossal pick-up truck that tows mountains)"

TRocks, how much of the mountains are you planning on putting in this super truck ? Standard 18 wheelers can haul 45k lb payload, (with truck weight that's 80k/lbs total weight, 90k in Mexico)? That's about the weight of 15-18 Tesla MS's.

To haul that much weight the battery would be too heavy , at least 17,000 lbs. Thats 15,000 lbs heavier that the two full100 gallon diesel tanks on tractor trailers now. That means you got to subtract a whopping 30% off the payload from 45k/lbs to 30k/lbs. Truckers wont like it and won't buy it, especially if its more espensive. They might like the possibility of higher amp fuses for microwaves, refrigerators, a/c, heat, in the cab with an all EV truck.

And how far would these EV 18 wheelers be able to haul a 80 k/lb lb loaded truck. With that load they currently get about 6mpg with diesel, that's 1200 miles or two days driving worth. Think you can get that with lithium batteries instead ?

Here's a link for what could be Gen V ? The street liscensed airplane car. With the wings folded, it looks like a car, almost. Think Elon could make more stylish electric version ? The TRaptor ?

Whoops forgot the link for the airplane car, here is the link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2011985/Terrafugia-flying...

@Tesluthian

I don't know... I'm just dreaming, I'll let Tesla engineers figure out what is realistic and optimal. I'll just be cheering if they keep putting out awesome products.

Anyone else had the thought that garbage trucks would really benefit from being EV? Currently, ICE mostly idles as the truck does low speed stop and go, gets used only when driving to the dump or transfer station and back to pick-up location. EV garbage truck would not idle, would use power as needed in stop and go... Maybe a small flywheel to be used only during collection would be more efficient and degrade less quickly than regenerative breaking (which doesn't even really work at low speed anyways).

@Tesluthian

That airplane car doesn't seem very aerodynamic. Also, seems to have major blind spots in car mode because of wings. To gain wide acceptance, any such vehicle will need to be almost as easy to fly (and get the license to do so) as for driving a car. Right now getting a pilot license is much more work than driver license, or so it seems to me (my father has been working on getting a new pilot license for a different class). Seems to me that what would make planes more user-friendly is the ability the operate at lower speeds, for taking off and especially landing (by far the hardest thing to do, in my opinion). That will require a higher wing surface area to total weight ratio, in my view. Inflatable wings seem like the best approach to me, better than fold-able wings. Also, to improve aerodynamics and limit weight, I think it would be smart to start the design process with the shape of a velomobile like the one I showed you earlier. The idea is to allow fast speed in the air and also low speed for landing, so although the shape would be different, the low speed physics would be similar to the aircraft in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6CvycZux0E

Make it battery electric for high altitude, high speed flight, perhaps even hydrogen buoyed in a huge blimp inflatable wing, and you'd have one appealing aircraft car. Solar panels might even add range in this blimp version. Don't forget to look at the solar plane, flying over the US this summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvR-4zEPvAM

All this will happen someday, and the potential keep improving as the underlying technologies evolves (batteries, PV panels, materials science, inflatable wings). Also, who can focus on homework with the internet at one's fingertips?

This seems like a pretty neat plane, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuw-CZe1qdQ

Nice view of the Solar Impulse here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp_y-7g39ZI

@TeslaRocks, The dream is alive.

My guess is a Tesla double stack BEV pickup is still intact. I would guesstimate such a truck could be rated to haul or pull 4 tons 225 miles, and be a midsize to full size, best in class pickup truck and bed size. People could haul their boats, motorcycles etc for example.

The garbage truck is an interesting application. Though that would be a specialty manufacturer. And I don't know much about flywheels, I just learned vaguely how induction motors/generators work last week. Guess I'll have to watch some more vids sometime.

However, Fred Smith founder of FedEx says they save a lot of money with electrified step vans for making local pickups & deliveries. This is probably because they do not travel long distance, they stay local starting & finishing at the same place of business where they charge overnight. I believe Smith says they save 70% on fuel/costs.

The same BEV vehicles could work for postal/mail vehicles, etc. that drive less than 100 miles a day. Which leads to my next suggestion:
The Federal Government should offer businesses an additional $15k tax credit for 1 million BEV's, PEV's,
AET's (All Electric Trucks), & hybrids.. That amounts to 15 billion to be offset by cuts, revenue, efficiencies,
re-assigned monies etc. That should stimulate demand for all types of AETs, BEVs, PEVs, AEVs, hybrids, etc.

The most basic thing that every Tesla would benefit from is swappable batteries. Imagine if an automated system replaced the battery inside of 5-10 minutes rather than sitting at a charging station for an hour. There are a number of benefits to this approach:
1. The batteries are in the hands of Tesla, who can test them frequently, ensure they are up to range standards, and recycle them as needed.
2. It would eliminate the cost of $40,000 batteries because they would become part of the refueling solution. Rather than paying for a battery, you would just pay for access to the system.
3. You would be guaranteed a good, fresh, battery that has been tested and which has longer life. Li-Ion batteries lose 20% of their capacity per year, but if Tesla managed them, this could be reduced. Imagine too if you got to select at the station whether you were on a road trip or just commuting 30 miles. In the first case, you get the 85 kWh battery. In the second you get the 40 kWh. Overall this would mean fewer materials would be needed. If everyone wants the 85 all the time, then just eliminated the other two.
4. It could also be a chance to connect to a computer at the station that could run full diagnostics and give the car a check-up. Essentially you could integrate routine maintenance because, unlike fueling stations today, Tesla would be vertically integrated and run the whole show, making it possible to have a much better user experience.

Logan

Battery swap is not a financially workable model. Better Place is trying and failing badly.

Use:

http://www.volkerize.com/

and search for Better Place, this will show you all the threads in this forum where this has been discussed. Also search for news of Better Place on other news sources.

Offline Navigation for Roaming contition.

E-Mail and Calendar Active Sync and direct routing to a task

Has anyone thought about what type of emblems, logos, or even hood ornaments Tesla could use to create an Iconic branding? Like the jaguar, and what emblem could rival the Beamer and Mercedes plaques and logos ? Should GenIII have an additional emblem? Is the Tesla T-Shield enough?

On Tesla's best select models, I think a hood ornamement of a Bald Eagle would look sharp replacing the women goddess in this 1940 Cadillac ornament:

http://www.redbubble.com/people/jillreger/works/6107466-1940-cadillac-go...

A darker tone body and wings could be easily be worked into a curvy T. The bald eagle's head would be a lighter tone. Another version would be an all gold eagle. So Tesla would have an eagle form hood ornament on only a select few models.

Other emblem, logo, plaque, ornament ideas and which models ?

Additional link:

Ornament examples

http://www.redbubble.com/explore/car+classic+hood+ornaments

Yet more emblem, logo, plaque, and ornaments currently out there, any favorites?

Ornaments:

http://www.cartype.com/list/154/hood_ornaments_by_brand

Logos, Emblems, Plaques:

http://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/36415887

http://www.zeroto60times.com/List-of-Cars.html

Alexander B

No sweat, Tesla is on it.

Well we mentioned EV airplane cars, how about EV boatcars ? Save the entire cost of the boat an the hassle of towing it. One non EV carboat exa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m817LZ1d5N8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Some EB's (Electric Boats) are quite economical like these slow cruse party boats.

Cost of ownership is much less on this EB.

http://www.fourseasonsboats.com/FourSeasons-ElectricBoatingPrimer.htm

And EB's can be fast too, exa:

http://www.gizmag.com/mercedes-amg-cigarette-racing-fastest-electric-boa...

EB's have even gone solar, exa:

http://www.tamarackelectricboats.com/

I know for Tesla these are definitely in the fantasy realm, but who would of thought Mecedes would of made the worlds fastest Electric speedboat with 12 elelectric motors ? So who knows ?

http://www.google.com/search?q=tesla+roadster+battery+photo&hl=en&client...

The above link shows the original Tesla Roadster battery location. Mostly it's in the rear trunk area. Now combine that with a GenIII skateboard platform, and you have a Roadster that can go 500 miles on a charge. Nothing new or additional need be invented.

This would relieve range anxiety for at least one class of Tesla EV's, so why shouldn't Tesla be the very first to do it ? It would create great press. The first 500 mile EV and it also has a tow capacity, for light towing skidoo's , light fishing boats, etc.

A worldwide one of a kind.

http://www.google.com/search?q=tesla+roadster+battery+photo&hl=en&client...

Above is a photo of a Roadster battery.

Two of these Roadster batteries could fit behind the front seats of a two door pickup truck. Another Roadster battery under the toolbox at the head of the cargo bed. Add to this a skateboard battery and this Tesla all electric pickup truck has 4 batteries for over 1000 miles per charge. 5 to 50 times more range than the current competitors. Plus a 4 ton towing capacity, allowing you to haul two tons 500 miles.

Great for people with medium size boats on a boat hauler, going to the lake for the weekend.

Add a 5th wheel, and now you can haul a respectable size RV. And the Tesla EV truck should also be able to provide the RV with backup shore power if needed. No need to plug the RV into an RV park, instead plug into the electric truck when you find the perfect spot to park.

On a GenIII platform to save weight, the batteries would add about 3 thousand pounds. That means this smaller truck could pull a larger truck backwards, if connected back to back. A good monster truck show exhibition spectacle to watch to demonstrate electric vehicle power.

Another neat feature for this Tesla EV truck is to have the ability to lift the cargo bed electronically like a dump truck for dumping dirt, stones etc. This would help give it commercial as well as retail appeal. Ditto for the 1000 mile range.

When the new batteries are used up, Tesla should let you lease the second set of batteries, to keep replacement cost down. All in all a real monster truck.

The next Roadster will have little, especially battery placement, in common with the first one. Waste of breath/typing.

~I say go with a baseball glove brown leather seating surface on higher end models.
~I say add aluminum as one of the interior trim selections on the base models.
~I say add dark gray fabric as seating surface on the base models.
~I would like to see halogen fog lights as a base offering and LED on the higher end models.

tdelta1000

Dark brown is a classic I also like. To the base model, I would add the full google maps. I use Gmaps a lot, think its great.

To the GenIII models I would add in silver lettering on the car, or on an emblem the word "GEN III", it just sounds very cool to me, and I think would help their new technology branding with newer customers. If a GenIII emblem, perhaps shape like a battery laying horizontal in dark blue with GEN III written in silver. A small silver star and the deep blue background would refer to the code name "Blue Star" for those in the know.

In any event, Tesla does listen to requests. I see they added some new options. Two new options mentioned here & elsewhere, 1) Heated Wipers 2) Artic (Winter) upgrade package.

I haven't heard anything about coat hooks though. Looks like you might have to buy some at Home Depot and glue them on.

AC output from the battery pack for emergency power at home (or anywhere) and ability to rescue another Tesla if ever needed. This would be pretty inexpensive to add.

This is an update on hood ornament idea. Doing a little CQI, on the coloring. I notice ornaments are silver, and once in a great while, gold. And I'd like to see a two toned Tesla Eagle ornament in these two colors. These would be for ultra luxury models of the MS, MX, G3Ms, G3Mx, MR, Truck, Van ,Convertible, etc, etc.

As posted in my previous link, generally a flowing eagle.

An eagle in two tones. The Eagles head or cap would be silver, and the eagle body gold. I like symbolism and to me a two tone silver and gold eagle has good symbolism/metaphor.

The silver head/cap denotes wisdom (silver hair), and smarts (the silver fox). This would also represent the buyer.

The gold color of the eagles body represents the value and worth of the car.

And the fact that the ornament is a type of Bald Eagle, a mythical silvery, bald, golden eagle would denote the fact it's American.

And if your in school and want a good EngLit grade try "Psychological analysis of metaphor and symbolism in plot, characters and scene".

evpro

+1 all the way !

@BrianH

Always enjoy your pithy comments Brian.

Logan 745 | March 30, 2013

I suspect maybe you like swapping out battery stations mostly to get the purchase price down. I think a better thing to hope for is for Elon to invent a revolutionary manufacturing idea to get the cost down to 25k, 15k for a good used Gen III. Something similar in manufacturing revolution like Ford did by inventing the assembly line technique.

My car for now is a Lexus GS450h, though it's only a matter of time before I make the upgrade.

The Model S for the time being is missing some luxury amenities found on other similarly priced cars. My Lexus has heated and ventilated front seats and a steering wheel warmer. (It sounds overly poshy, but I have already gotten a lot of use out of it.) It also has dynamic radar cruise control, which I've gotten used to having pretty quickly; it makes the car feel like it's driving itself at times, something that certainly fits the flavor of Tesla as the front edge of tech. I've also got a much harder to find feature, a driver alertness monitor that make sure I'm not nodding off to sleep, a great extra safety net to have when you're a physician on long commutes at five in the morning. (My commutes are typically two hours, so if I want all-electric, Tesla is the only option. Thankfully, they're a good one; their sports performance luxury car is one of the few that my GS has any reason to envy.)

Other Lexus and Mercedes offer lane keep assist and blind spot monitors. Since both have stake in Tesla, maybe they can cross-pollinate their vehicle safety R&D in exchange for the coveted battery technology.

That, and I'd like to see wood accents as an option on the steering wheel. I know, not the most futuristic, but it makes a car look and feel more luxury-minded. Perhaps another alternative could be carbon fiber accents instead, for the sports look.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen