Foren

ZUR TESLA-COMMUNITY
REGISTRIERENEinloggen

My AC went out in 111 degree Arizona heat

I am a happy owner by I was very disappointed today. I have had my Model S 85 for six months now and never had any problems except for today. The temperature was 111 degrees in phoenix and my AC went out all of a sudden. I called the roadside assistant, the guy I spoke to couldn't do anything. I had to drive my car home in the scotching sun. I was soaked from the top of my head down to the soles of my feet. Who knows may be Tesla can not withstand a temperature above 100 degrees. So disappointed.

Would you care to share some details, like for instance, did the air start blowing hot instead of cold, or did it stop blowing entirely? I can assure you that Tesla a/c can and does work in temps over 100F. So disappointed that you didn't provide more information with your complaint.

Sorry to hear you lost AC in Arizona. It's never fun when that happens in AZ. Let the car sit for a few hours then try the AC. Sometimes the system can ice up and freeze over if it is running hard and there is a little humidity, pretty dry today, so unlikely. They usually Ice up descending from Flagstaff or a higher altitude. Can also ice up if the condensation drain gets plugged. Or maybe you just had a refrigerant leak or other system failure.

Even on a hot day a frozen system can take several hours to thaw out after you shut down the system.

Please post what fixes the problem. We are on our second AZ summer and have had no AC problems.

I left my house around 9am this morning and the AC was working fine. I parked the car for 6 hours and the AC was still working fine until I drove 10 minutes after. It was just blowing heat. I turned everything off and back on, same thing. I tried everything I could but all to no avail

Just another thought. Did you try a reboot to see if it was a software glitch.

AC systems that have a refrigerant leak normally slowly lose cooling performance over time. When it stops quickly it is often an iced up system.

Looking forward to finding out what caused the failure or fixes the problem.

I am too tired to even go into the garage to try anything right now. I drove the car for 1 ½ hours after the AC started blowing heat, the heat sucked the energy out of me today. Never felt so exhausted. I guess I will find out if it works in the morning when I'm ready to go out again. Now I'm scared to even take it out in the morning. What if it works and stops again when it's hot? i will update you guys tomorrow.

Most likely just bad luck. I believe I read somewhere a long time ago that the air conditioner system is the same one that Toyota uses in the Prius. There are 15,000,000 of those on the road so it's probably pretty reliable.

Somebody correct me if that's bad information, please.

Does the a/c on a Model S use a system like an ICE, with refrigerant and a compressor (but driven by a an electric motor)? If so, a sudden loss of cooling could be due to a sudden loss of refrigerant. A burst hose or failed connector could do that. Happened to me once; there was a loud "whoosh" as all the R12 (this was a long time ago) escaped and headed for the ozone layer.

Pettifogger there isnt any other kind of air conditioner.

@bigdahud - I've made it through two summers with 110º + in the Sacramento, CA valley. Yours is just a defect...

Reboot first before declaring the AC dead.

Since the OP stated that he tried everything he could, and he could try a reboot, then it must be something else.

However, it's possible the OP is unaware of the reboot procedure, a great tool which is explained in the TIPS, ADVICE and TROUBLEHOOTING thread.

I would hate to think that a reboot would have saved him from heat exhaustion considering it was so available to him.

However, if a reboot does solve the problem and he suffered because he didn't read the TIPS thread, then it serves him right. :-)

@ bigdahud,

That really sucks and I feel your pain! Sometimes things just break. Have you contacted Tesla service? They should bring you a loaner Model S and can fix your AC right up. While it's there, ask them to apply the acoustic blanket and bracket service bulletin to reduce the AC noise. You'll get back a better car than you gave them.

GeirT-

really dumb response. The guy had a problem with his car and he is sharing the trails and tribulations of Tesla ownership like so many others do and you go and write what you wrote.

I swear I read these threads and kook aid drinking and cheerleading by some to be downright annoying.

I live in Scottsdale and can completely sympathize with the OP for losing his AC on a hot day.

J.T. - Great plug for the TIPS thread. Shameless.

@socalsam +1

@socalsam: +1. The sickening part of reading this forum, while it has so much useful information, is that anything negative about Tesla or the Model S in any way is treated as some form of heresy. I read the forum to learn about the positives and the negatives so I am well informed and appreciate the OP sharing what happened.

God forbid someone want cup holders, parking sensors, or complain about a legitimate issue or something that stopped working as was the case with the OP.

Call service and let them know date/time so they can check logs.
Do the reboots when you can and test again.

Sounds like you may have gotten a case of heat stroke and that is no fun.

@WEB_SRFR - Totally agree. I shake my head at some of these posts where valid suggestions are offered for improvement by buyers and prospective buyers and the Tesla Mafia initiates a beat down. The car is great but it isn't perfect.

Its pathetic that everyone that posts anything negative about the car has to qualify their comments with
something like - despite the fact that Im going to post something negative I just want to make it clear that I still love the car so please don't shit on me!

Do we have an update?

Update ?

Thanks everyone for the good comments. The car is still blowing heat. I have scheduled an appointment with the service station in Scottsdale for tomorrow. For the second time, I was told there was no loaner available. So they are probably planning on giving me a rental car from "Enterprise" like they did the last time when I took the car in for tire rotation.

@ bigdahud - I believe the lack of loaners is due to there being a test drive event in the area today. I was told that whenever there are scheduled test drive events, they use all the loaners for that purpose. I'm less understanding than most in this regard and I would insist on a Model S loaner. If I didn't get one, I'd send some choice comments up the executive ladder. Tesla should be held accountable for the promises and commitments it makes to owners, some of whom based their decision to buy this car on those promises.

@amped - and I, on the other hand, would say "oh well." It's usually best not to be too bothered by small things. Although use of the word "wallah" can really get to me...

socalsam +1

+1 redacted

@Amped - I asked prior to my latest service about loaners and was told that a Monday drop-off at Burlingame was my best chance for one. Meh. It is 12 miles away. Let other owners have the loaner.

I'm less understanding than most in this regard and I would insist on a Model S loaner.

Yeah, I don't insist. It is a bit distasteful. Insist where it makes sense.

If I need scheduled service, I'll lock a loaner in, if I'm coming in for a must-fix problem I'll take what I can get or have my wife pick me up. Or, I'll do what I did this time, schedule service, but leave the loaner for another owner.

In your situation, Buckeye to Scottsdale SC? ...then maybe I might think along your lines. That is a haul.

I'm also still waiting for the update to the OP.
Sup?

My Model S was picked up today around 12pm. I got a call back from service station at 5pm stating the AC extension "varb" (not sure about the spelling) was either broken or shut out. In a nut shell, the extension "varb" will need to be replaced. Rebooting the car several times wouldn't have solved the problem. My car will not be ready until probably Monday. I was given a rental car from "Enterprise" like I predicted.

@ AmpedRealtor- I agree with you about the loaner car. They should be held accountable for those promises, especially; this is the second time the service center did this to me. Also, the service guy was telling me he will need an approval from someone higher before he could apply the acoustic blanket and bracket service bulletin because my car AC is not really making any noise. I guess he is probably saying "no"
I will update you guys again on Monday.
Again, Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

@NKYTA, I also seldom use a loaners to keep them available for people that need them. Seems like a waste to have one when I have other cars I can drive sitting around. I know I know I paid for the service but if I don't need it I am not going to demand it and get all bothered if they are out of loaners.

We are all in it together, so if I can free up a car for someone who really needs it it's better for everyone. Not real worried about getting my money's worth just want the service I need done with as little disruption as possible.

I believe OP's situation calls for a Model S loaner. The problem here is that they are all being used for test drives. That is an inappropriate use for those cars by Tesla when they made a commitment to offer loaners to owners. That's my point, this is not about someone else needing the loaner more than OP. It's about Tesla prioritizing test drives over service. That's wrong.

@AmpedRealtor Also, if Tesla has a supply problem and not a demand problem as Elon stated during the recent investors forum in Mountain View, why prioritize the test drives over a current customer's quality of service?

Amped, I am glad they prioritize test drives over loaners. Hard to give a test drive in a rental but easy to provide a rental to an owner. Reasonable business decision. I want to see more Tesla's sold so if that means driving a rental for a day I am not real bothered.

At BMW when I took in my seven series I usually pulled out in a three. Then paid thru the nose for the work. If they didn't have a three to loan me they might offer to drop me off if it was close by. Never once had BMW offer a rental car even if it was warranty repair work.

I want to see the company grow and test drives are what sell cars.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen