Forums

Join The Community
RegisterLogin

Announcement tomorrow 4/26

"@elonmusk Announcement of new @TeslaMotors strategy tomorrow. Tesla owners will like this."

Maybe Elon will give owners a commission for all the people they refer to Tesla who then buy a car ;-)

Speculation is a funny thing.

Most of it is usually wrong.

I'm just say'in.

But you know when speculation is fun? When there's a pool involved! Too bad we can't set up legal gambling to see who's right!

@riceuguy, you're right. There is a fun element, so long as none of us take it too seriously.

@Anthony H, the key to keeping it fun is low expectations. If it's a great announcement, great! If it's not, well, think of it this way:

I've had my Infiniti for 3 years (getting rid of it in less than a week!). During that time, do you know how many updates, service improvements, new features, performance improvements, etc. I've gotten from them? None. Zero. Zip. Not a single car I've ever had has gotten better with time. But I pick up my Tesla on Saturday, and it's already better than when I ordered it (and I swear to God, if somebody mentions fog lights...get over it people!). In fact, depending on the announcement, it might be better on Saturday then it is today! Now that's service!

I'm guessing service too.

I think the strategy change is in how it's currently priced / obligatory.

Redefining this will help emphasize Tesla's advantages.

This car is inherently far less complex to maintain and more reliable than a gas car. The current 600/yr pitch cloaks this benefit, and instead upstages it with a gripe point. To me, that squanders an massive opportunity to pull away from the ICE pack.

TM can guarantee things that would be economically impossible with an IC Engine. They have successfully used EV-enabled differentiation already - as to performance, smoothness, handling, and safety. Service is another dimension on which they can seriously outflank legacy technology.

I think it's possible to redefine how customers view service, and Tesla could own that leadership role.

This mirrors the opportunity they seized with SuperChargers - by making refueling free. That was simply impossible to match with gas cars.

It is also maximizes marginal revenue. If you sell one more 100K car because of positive perceptions of the service advantages, it easily trumps right up-front the slow revenue dribble of a large number of $600 annuities.

It's easier to make money selling more cars instead of trying to make a living selling service.

For ICE cars, the reverse is true. Those machines are so damn complex, they count on the fact that consumers will have to spend a bundle on repairs.

By sweeping this aside in a way that only is possible with this new paradigm, TM can dominate.

We'll see Friday.

My guess is "none of the above". >:P

Monty... I'll take door #..... 1.. no, 2... I mean 3, no 1! :)

@ Mark K

"If you sell one more 100K car because of positive perceptions of the service advantages, it easily trumps right up-front the slow revenue dribble of a large number of $600 annuities."

I think that you are absolutely right about that.

The announcement will increase consumer interest in Tesla.
And that is the ultimate goal.

If it is certainly an announcement about service then my WAG is that Road Ranger service will be complimentary as a part of the service plans instead of a flat rate of an extra $100 a year.

It is easier to expand with more Service Rangers than to add infrastructure during massive growth periods.

@shop, is he? I had no idea, darn, I'm sorry, I'm not one to follow the rumor mills much in that regard.

Free rides on the Dragon Spacecraft to the International Space Station? That would be SWEET!

The big advantage tesla has in the service area is being able to "fix" you car for you while you are on the phone with them - no other car has even 1 thing that can get fixed that way. So many owners have had great experiences with service over the phone pushing upgrades etc - that allows them to be much more competitive on service costs and hopefully we will get free service as a result. This aspect of the car is generally not common knowledge right now. Just a guess.

Keep the faith folks. Things are looking pretty good these days. Stock is up, cars are coming off the line. Quality is better than many ICEs. EM is a good guy. Let's give him time.

This is what the media advisory says on the website:

PALO ALTO, Calif.-- Tesla Motors, Inc. (NASDAQ: TSLA) will hold a conference call on April 26, 2013 at 10:30 AM Pacific Time (1:30pm Eastern Time) for members of the media, to make an announcement about Tesla Service. Following remarks from Elon Musk, Tesla Motors co-founder and CEO, media is invited to participate in a question and answer session.

Tesla should be either very close or just over the threshold of building 10,000 cars.

Although the CC will be dedicated to Service, it would be interesting to see if this piece of potential good news will be mentioned during the call.

1. P85 Loaner cars, which you can buy on the spot if you like it at a fixed depreciation rate.
2. Valet service to swap out your S for loaner.
3. Annual service checkup optional, warranty still valid if not serviced.
4. All damage to battery covered by Tesla, except in collision or if battery pack opened.

100 initial batch of Model S loaner cars with Roadsters available in some markets. Over time they will build several hundred loaner cars.

The price of buying the loaner is 1% of depreciation per month and $1 per mile, and if I heard right that's how they'd value your current car too. So you'd trade on the spot, pay the difference and drive off in the loner as your own car. Elon says the loaner fleet should generally not be older than 3 months. He wants nice new loaners, not an aging fleet.

So is valet service only for warranty repairs and/or folks who have paid for unlimited Ranger service?

Elon says goal of service division is not to make a profit.

Elon said that the service part of Tesla Motors is to have zero profit!

Do I get a refund of unused pre-paid service?

I hope they offer refunds for people who signed up for the pre-paid service since it's no longer required.
I don't see a reason to take it to service even once a year.

@MandL, that wasn't my impression. What I got out of it is that if you need service from your local service center, they'll bring you a loaner and take your car in for the service. You're paying for the service (or it's warranty work), and you get a loaner.

@MandL; There has been no discussion of that so far, but the news reporters are still asking questions.

One other thought about loaners. They currently don't offer them unless service is over four hours, so that MAY still be the policy.

"Why not a 500 mile battery?" I like Elon's positive comment.

Well, I guess I'll just add the $1900 I paid for the four year service plan to the Sig penalty I paid to get the car a few weeks earlier.

I am a bit confused...does the new announcement mean that you do not require a service plan?

Yes that's what it means.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen