Forums

Join The Community
RegisterLogin

Charging at a J1772 location when the space is occupied

Not sure if anyone else has been thinking about this. I live in the southeast where most EV charging sites have only one charger. If I need a charge and that space is occupied, what to do? How about a NEMA 14-50 extension cord 50 foot or so (purchased at a RV store) and a J1772 adapter such as the one sold by modular EV power on the web. Then you could park 2 or 3 spaces away (or block in the ICE) and charge away! I know that TESLA disapproves of extension cords but I don't see why this wouldn't work. Any thoughts? Picture below, hope it posts correctly.

/Users/cliffreade/Downloads/UL J772 NEMA 292869s.JPG

Or maybe just the website. Sorry for the confusion.

http://modularevpower.com/UL_J1772_to_NEMA_14-50_Adapter_Box_Compact.htm

Like it

Notice the warning notice: Remember to push the "Off" button if the connector falls in a puddle, or it starts to rain. >:(
;)

I was thinking about a similar problem. Will a normal charging station cord even reach the back of the Tesla when parked nose first?

In California most public garages require you to pull in so that the rear license plate is visible. It also seems that most electric cars on the market have their charging ports positioned near the front of the vehicle, except for Tesla.

So how long is the charging cable on most public chargers and given you park nose first, will it reach?

Might need to pack an extension cord for several reasons.

Probably a bad idea as with extension cords the longer they are the higher the power loss unless you get an even bigger gauge cable to decrease the resistance. 50 foot extension cord for 50 amp service would have to be very high gauge (and therefore extremely expensive) plus now you have this big chord laying in the parking lot just asking for someone to run over and damage the cable.

I personally wouldn't recommend it.

The offending car / truck's owner might be cited for such parking if his veh. is not in fact NOT a bev. Of course this won't help if the station is blocked and you need it but it would be poetic justice

@constraint

Probably would only be necessary to get a 10-20 ft extension cord if you're in an adjacent space.

@Superliner

I don't know how many localities provide for ticketing/towing of non-EVs in charging spots. I suspect it's very few atm, but I'd support that.

I asked a Tesla rep about using an extension cord, and he said that they can cause the voltage to vary. As a result, the car will shut off charging to protect itself. He didn't offer any other alternatives such as a higher gauge cord. As far as reaching beyond the parking space, could the Universal Mobile Connecter (with J1772 adapter) plus the cable on the charging station give you enough length to park one or two spots away.

Another thing to keep in mind when parking that far from the charging station is that there's going to be a cable on the ground that someone may trip over. On that note, Ford actually recently released some EV etiquette rules:

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/10/08/fords-ev-etiquette-rules-make-for-k...

@paul_villasenor - I think that rep was shooting from the lip on his answer. The specs page says the onboard charger can handle an 85-265V input. A properly sized extension cord should not have a significant voltage drop, and it would be constant.

As for the coupler in the link above, a J1772 has pins for Proximity Detection and Control Pilot that are not present in a NEMA 14-50. I wonder if the coupler will work when the charger can't talk to the car?

@stevenmaifert = "shooting from the lip". Perfect turn of phrase!

I just emailed ChargePoint about constant offenders in ICEs parking in the EV spots and all other spots are also occupied around it. Wonder what they will say about it. Requested advice out of curiosity and sent them a photo with CP locations.

@BYT

if a charger is at a privately-owned property I wonder if they would tow the offender if you complained?

It's at a public park

@BYT

And I assume in your locality there is no provision for ticketing/towing non-EVs in charging spots?

I have no clue, how would I look that up? I think that even here where the EV is picking up speed fast that there would be a stronger push to enforce those spaces. There are unfortunately a lot of inconsiderate people who don't care as well. Got to give them a reason to "care" in the future or else those spots are meaningless.

BYT - Municipalities are going to have to address this. Here in San Diego, we have Car2Go vehicles sitting idle in public EV charging spaces. We emailed our local rep about it and await her reply.

@BYT

Unfortunately I don't think it's that they're inconsiderate. I think they're intentionally sticking it to EV drivers.

Either way, inconvieniancing them with a tow would make them think twice about doing it again.

I'd rather knife all four of their tires in the sidewall, but I'm vindictive that way.

Here was the reply from ChargePoint:

Thank you for contacting ChargePoint customer support.

I apologize for your recent experience being blocked by ICE vehicles. At ChargePoint, we encourage all station owners to do everything possible to designate parking spaces for EV charging and to regulate occupancy. We understand the need to build good driver and station etiquette into the process in this regard and hope to see progress as this industry matures.

Currently, California is the only state that has passed laws that regulate occupancy of EV parking spaces and charging.

Thank you for contacting ChargePoint Support.

Florida has passed a law as well. $35 fine.

Tesla could solve this by building in a charge port on the passenger side of the car too.

Two charge ports would be nice for two Tesla families.

+1 Louis

I used a municipal charger last week, but the install location was pretty bad. It was a dual 1772, with the cord coming out each side of the pedestal. It's intended to be placed in front of the parking slot, but this was located on the curb. The other driver had to pull the cord across the top of his hood to get to his front port (He was there before me, but probably after someone else). I was not able to get the cable over the top of my car from passenger front to driver rear. I finally decided to park on the wrong way against the curb, hoping I would not get a ticket. And by "municipal", I mean in front of the police station and city hall...

Fortunately, nobody bothered me in the hour or two I was there. I'm hoping they looked at the situation, and realized that was the only way to make this work.

I've gotten pretty good at backing this big car up for charging, I admit.

The public chargers I've seen usually have long cords.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen