Forums

Join The Community
RegisterLogin

NEMA 6-50 only

PG&E came out and I was told we can only install a 6-50 because they only supply our neighborhood with single phase.

So... advantage/disadvantage?

Supposedly the advantage for the 6-50 is that it is the same wiring that is required for the HPWC. Did you want to get a 14-50 instead? You don't need 3-phase for that.

@TimJ 'Did you want to get a 14-50 instead?'

Not necessarily. Just wanted to know which is "better" and if there was a significant difference in cost.

The PG&E rep indicated that 14-50 would not be possible.

I have the 14-50, but I am not getting the HPWC. My friend got the 6-50 in prep for the HPWC. The price was about the same, but it all depends on your electric service and panel. My panel supported 200 amps.

The 14-50 is more common than the 6-50 so getting the free adapter may come into play.

The 14-50 adapter will allow you to plug in at campsites, RV parks, etc., whereas the 6-50 will be harder to find (although garages and machine shops that have welders will likely have these outlets). You could always just pay for the extra adapter.

Neither the 6-50 nor the 14-50 are for 3-phase power. Both are strictly single phase; both get 240V at 50A across the two hot wires. The 14-50 just has one more wire, a neutral tied to the center tap of the utilities transformer to get 120V. If you have both 120V and 240V appliances, your house has to be wired so that either could be installed. I haven't seen a house wired in the last 75 years that was done otherwise. My choice is the 14-50 just in case I ever want 120V/240V, whereas the 6-50 is 240V. Note that a 6-50 can replace a 14-50 by just leaving the neutral unconnected. If you don't have the neutral in the box, a 14-50 cannot replace a 6-50.

I thought 6-50 has common, just no ground and 14-50 has common and ground. I have a 6-50 at home and the Tesla adapter for it works great.

Went thru solar city and they put in 14-50 as the default. TM recommends them.

Solar City installed a 6-50 for me in prep for the HPWC. I don't know when I will get the HPWC. The car only came with a 14-50 adapter. My local service center gave me a 6-50 adapter to use.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen