Forums

Join The Community
RegisterLogin

Model S Price Range for the 160 mile variant

The Model S is my dream car. I had an opportunity to play with a prototype at the Menlo Park store, and it is 110% what I am looking for. The only think keeping me from putting down a deposit today is a concern I have on the final price after options. I can definitely afford a $50k car, maybe even a $60k one, but anything above that is in iffy territory.

I ready in the FAQ that the 17 inch infotainment system is expected to be a standard feature, which is fantastic. However, I can see putting items like leather seats, backup cameras, auto wipers, memory seats etc. as options instead of stock features.

What is the realistic expected cost of the 160 mile variant?

Honestly, I have no idea, but I came up with the following theory: Tesla's promoted entry price happens to be *exactly* in sync with entry prices for MB E and BMW 5 series. At least here in Europe. Striking coincidence, particularly since Tesla touts the Model S as a competitor to the 5 series with regard to driving experience/dynamics, comfort, build quality etc. For planning my personal budget, I expect the Model S to come with similar stock features as the BMW 5 or the MB E, and I expect the prices for even basic options to be similarly shameless.

Need another hint? Look at what they did with the Roadster: Kept the official base price at the same rate, but increased the cost for a comparable vehicle by at least 10% simply by turning stock features into options...

Been wondering that myself. I really want the 230 mile version (or 300) because several times a year I have a ~250 mile round trip...which just barely works if I can plug in the 230 during the day before my trip back. I also have trips from Portland to Seattle, which is just at the uncomfortable edge of the 160 mile range.

But, paying another 10k or 20k for the 230 range vs the 160 range isn't something that keeps the car in the range I'd be able to buy.

yes my problem as well
I only need the 160m version but 2-3 times a year I need the 300m
but how do the size of the battery affect the resell value

at the time I want to sell it, witch range will offer best resell value
and in 4-6 years form now it may be posible to upgrade the battery to 300-400m at a low price

Even though I rarely use more than half of the 240 mile-ish range of the Roadster, I like having the extra insurance margin. That way I don't even have to think about the charge level. So I'll go for at least the mid-size battery for the Model S, to have the same range.

The 300 mile pack would allow me to drive to Toronto without stopping... that would be nice to have. But I gather that won't be available at first.

I've been considering putting in a reservation as well, but this is really holding me back. I take about 15 trips per year to our cabin which is about 140 miles away and mostly an uphill drive through a few canyons. I typically travel at about 80-85mph (129-137kmh) so I'm thinking I'll need at least the 230 mile range pack if not the 300. If the price difference between the battery packs is too much I simply won't be able to afford the car as I'm by no means wealthy.

Personally I am betting the 300 mile pack will have a $10k premium. I already have a deposit on the car, but with HST I don't want to see my final bill for the car and charger hitting $80k Cdn. By the time I take delivery I anticipate living in the Greater Toronto Area again and I will want the 300 mile pack. With it I can reach the family cottage just S of Powassin on friday, plug in a standard ext cord and drive back on the Sunday night. Since I do the trip every weekend or two in the summer renting a car for it isn't a desireable alternative. From my last house the trip was about 365km each way.

Now if someone starts installing chargers in Gasoline Alley (I like the irony of that location), Gravenhurst, Huntsville, Sundridge and other locations I may be able to live with a shorter range. However I can't see a lot of demand for 'electrifying' Hwy 400, 11 or 69 in the near future.

Maybe you will be able to drop by the showroom, rent a larger pack for a week, drive your distance, return and pick up your old pack charged and ready to go. That would be a good use of the "5 minute battery swap" as I see it. Of course, it would be helpful if the swap machinery were somewhere close or on your way. In a perfect world....

I agree... just rent the 300mi pack from your local dealer (if you have a local dealer), alternatively I'm afraid you'll have to rent the Volt that weekend :)

Renting something for a weekend is OK, but you have to check out how fast those rental charges add up. I figure I would need to rent the longer range pack about 20 times between mid-may and early November. The hassle of getting to the Tesla Store (which will be in or near downtown Toronto) and the payments would nullify the up front savings.

Besides I would happily pay for the privilege of avoiding the Gardiner Expressway if I possibly could :)

I suspect a few chargers strategically placed along the 400 series highways, preferably within walking distance to restaurants, might render the 300 mile pack unnecessary for southern Ontario.

So do we know wich pack is in the 56$ car? Last article I read one said it's the 240m pack and the 160m pack will be around 50k... but that sounded like guesswork. So was there an offical statement?

Not until they finish the alpha build.

Very informative BYT! I was kind of hoping the prices would be in there though.

We get information trickling in little by little and my guess would be that we are 8 months away at least from final pricing from Tesla on the Model S.

A previous Thread put a SWAG of a $5000 premium on the 230 mile battery pack. (300 mile pack will not be available on the 2012 models) Now you can get alot of weekend renters for $5000.

I've been keeping track of my milage since I reserved my model S and I've never gone over 130 mile in one day and I'll be keeping my current car so unless I can get the 230 mile pack for around $3000 I'll keep with the base pack.
I'll upgrade to the 300 mile pack when they go under $5K which should be by 2017, that's 30% cost reduction per year according to Elon Musks projection.

@Mehdi, right there with you!

Thanks guys for all the information. I'm think I'm going to wait to see the Beta build before putting in the deposit, but I'm right at the borderline of putting money down.

Looking at the alpha build and how Tesla has been promoting the Model S, I think it is going to be hard to offer the 17in touchscreen and the panoramic roof as options. Those should be included in the base price. I will definitely pass on the 2 rear facing child seats, so really the only option I would want is leather seats (and maybe that will be stock as well).

sanjosedriver: The 17 inch screen will almost without a doubt be a standard feature. I believe they've said as much. It's the primary way the driver interacts with the car so there is no way not to have it basically. The panoramic roof will likely be an option but both of these statements are guesses on my part at least.

Remember the deposit is fully refundable. Go ahead and put down the deposit if you're that excited about owning one and you can always change your mind later.

sjd;
The two rear seats are not add-ons; they fold under, AFAIK, for storage. And if you're fascinated by the 17" infotainment center, you'll never need the 300-mile battery. You won't make it that far.

Not sure if anyone else has seen the video of Elon on Clean Tech Investor Summit 2011. There was a brief comment on the pricing of the Model S to be in the "$50K-100K" range. That scared the !@#$ out of me! If he's planning to sell the model S with the 300-mile package with options for close to 100K, then I'm taking my deposit and running. I hope he was being VERY general!

sanjosedriver mentioned seeing an alpha model in the Menlo Park on January 11th this year...

Anyone else see if they have one in the assembly area? If a reservation holder drops by, can they get in the factory?

Rob

I've been wondering about this for a while as well. Is the 300 mile pack going to be an extra $5,000 or $30,000? They don't want to give out pricing but a range of magnitude would be nice at this point. I did see an interview with a representative at the Detroit show, and while talking about the range she mentioned a price "between $50k and $60k". Might have meant the 300 pack would be an extra $10k.

Hopefully we'll be hearing more about options soon. Once the "beta" build is done you'd think they'd need to have a pretty good idea about available options. I'm hoping we'll see more detailed pricing within the next 4-6 months.

I expect that the 160 to 230 upgrade will cost $10,000 extra and the 2013 model with 300 mile range will be another $10,000 more. By the way the signature most likely will be a 230 mile with all available options at twice the reservation cost of $80,000. These numbers are in line with Tesla's statements about estimated average sales prices. The $57,000 base price is to entice with a tax credit price of $49,500. This will not include delivery fee BTW. Taxes would be extra. There will be other options so that Tesla can make a profit.

Although this is just speculation these numbers seem to be supported by analysis of Tesla's fillings and analyst evaluation rather than wishful thinking. Two years ago when I put down my deposit I talked with the salesperson we discussed potential cost of the battery upgrade. $10 ,000 for each upgrade seemed likely.

Remember no one else has anywhere near Tesla's battery capacity for a reason~ high cost and weight. Tesla will still have the only "real highway EV.".

Obviously future battery upgrades will increase the range. The chicken or egg dilemma will be a challenge for us early adopters until fast and convenient charging is available. We can thank the limited range vehicles for pushing charging stations.

I think we are in line with what the costs may be. I think a 10k jump for the 230 upgrade may be a little bit. That puts it at a 70k car most likely which is quite the jump from a 50k. I could see a 5k jump for the 230 since it is not all new technology like the 300 mile pack is rumored to be.

Honestly, if is going to fall in line with the BMW's and Mercs and the like, I am expecting this car to fall into a 60-65k price range with a 230 pack and quite a few options added on. Any more than that and I think they are pushing the boundaries on being over priced.

Rising the cost of that car may be effected by the customers, This will make customer confused and have to compromise with their needs. For the others cars information related to their price check here http://www.motorinterface.com/ .

My guess is that a 300 mile version fully loaded will be around $85,000 - $7,500 tax credit so under $80,000. That wouldn't include extended or battery warranties.

Why so expensive? My family has been looking at the Model S, but it is sadly out of our financial reach. I might do something drastic to get the money for one of them. I really hope that the Tesla Bluestar doesn't have a small range like the rest of them. I might get one of those when they come out five years from now. Oh well!

Yikes! I will definitely need at least the 230 mile pack, but even $60,000 is pushing the limit on what I can afford. I'm hoping there will be a version with a 230 mile pack for around $55,000 after the $7,500 tax credit.

As I see it, the whole point of Bluestar is to offer an affordable car without sacrificing Teslas core qualities: Purely electric, serious range and enough power to outperform any comparable (in terms of price and size) ICE car. If it would be "like the rest of them", there would be nothing to gain for a company like Tesla.

Thus, do not despond, there is still hope. :-) Yes, it will take another few years, but as far as we can see from here, Bluestar is going to happen.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen