Forums

Join The Community
RegisterLogin

How much did electrician cost to install NEMA 14-50 outlet

Getting quote for over$1000. My panel is on wall in basement beside door to garage. Panel distance to where outlet needs to be is about 15-18 feet. Charge include fixed fee of $225 to get city permit for electrical work.

Reasonable?

If I remember correctly, I paid about $230 or so to get my NEMA 14-50 installed. The electrician only had to run about a foot from my breaker box to place the outlet. When I was quoted, he told me that it would be about $1000 to run about 12-13 feet to the other side of my garage (that was a no-brainer -- I switched sides with my wife's car, problem solved). You might want to look at alternative locations if pricing is an issue.

I am installing the HPWC for free for a client in Vancouver, BC. As per my proposal seen here. http://www.teslamotors.com/en_CA/forum/forums/vancouver-bc-gvrd-free-pro...

I will be installing it on Monday. This one has quite the work involved rather than the standard 40A outlet. I will be running the 100A cable 40ft from a basement room to the garage around the outside of the home. I'll see how many hours it takes but I can see this install typically being over $1000.

Brian Wuttke
BW Electric

6 gauge wire runs just under buck a foot. x 4 wires. So the cost will vary considerably based on distance from the breaker, whether or not any modifications need to be done to increase the amperage of your box, how much "tunneling" through walls needs to be done, and whether or not you need a permit where you live.

I got a quote for $480 to install the plug about 15 feet from the box, with the conduit run outside my garage (i.e. drilled out then back in). I got the electrician to put in 2 for me for $680. I'm estimating parts were probably about $300.

There are lots of prior posts discussing the price, which is pretty variable - people have reported anywhere from $250-$1000.

$435 for 15' run including drywall repairs; using #6 copper. Does not include $95 permit costs.

Also installing whole house surge protection at same time.

$285, maybe 2-4' run

Friend of a friend, $250, one new breaker switch, 1-2' run.

It all depends on how you run the wire. If you are removing drywall, replacing, retexturing and going through shear walls, it can be expensive.

Wire, breaker, box and outlet parts should cost no more than 60-80$ at the most. If this is a simple external conduit run without separate shutoff etc, it is way to expensive in my opinion.

Cost me $175 (Dayton, OH area). ~15ft run

$537 in SoCal about 20 feet from outside panel to front of garage including larger cable for future high speed charger.

3 and change. Just below my existing box, but he had to put in a new breaker and merge a few circuits. Probably only 90 minutes of work.

It cost me $650 with about 70 feet from box. I traded a tile saw that was collecting dust so it brought my cost down to $500.

$1000 is too much. I paid about $600 for both a HPWC and 14-50 installed about 18 feet from my box, including drilling through wall and studs. This is including materials and labor. Having seen the install done, especially the 50 amp, I feel I could repeat it myself.

Most quotes in San Diego were from $375 to $450 for installing it. I ended up installing a dedicated EV TOU meter which required an electrician doing the work so he did that as well. He did all of it for $1,500.

$575 from the basement to garage (New Jersey), not the cheapest, not the most expensive quote here.

$450 Solarcity in the bay area. extra panel installed from subpanel with 10 feet of wiring.

$300 for three NEMA 14-50 outlets on all three walls of a 2-car garage. I supplied the wiring (Home Depot or Lowes) as I get a discount there.

No dry wall repairs as attic access was relatively easy.

How much it costs you is going to depend largely on how much the contractor wants to rip you off (if he does) and how much distruction / repair of the floor / walls will be required afterward. A straight run of 10 feel from your box to where you put the outlet is going to be much cheaper than a run from a box in the basement, through the ceiling/floor, into the garage, and then installation of an outlet.

When I had mine installed I did it was a straight short run and I did the sheet-rock and painting work myself. If I'd been thinking straight, I'd have cut out the run for the sheetrock and drilled through the studs myself, too, and saved a little more.

I did not trust myself to do anything involving the electrical box and circuit breakers, nor to install a 240 out NEMA 14-50 outlet, which I've not done before.

I live in Ohio and your situation sounds very similar to mine. I found my electrician from Angie's list. They gave me a quote of $400. I went with them. The outlet works appropriately.

Unfortunately I have an older house and have to get a heavy up. It is going to cost me $1,900... I was actually quotes as high as $5,400 by one well known electrician service. If it were not for the heavy up it would have only cost about $250.

I'm based in Orange County where Tesla ownership seems to be gaining popularity very quickly. I had the same issues with costs and high bids for the outlet install as there seems to be a "market price" of $500-$1000 that's been established by the usual contractors/electricans. That's the price because that's what the average Tesla buyer is willing to pay. Free market capitalism at it's best, baby!

That said, your costs shouldn't be more than about 2-3 hours of labor at your local rates plus about $2.75 per foot for the actual wiring. They need three identical wires that run about 90cents per foot to run from the breaker to your outlet. All in for me was less than $200 after I called my friendly handyman to do the work (less than 4 feet for me).

As others have said, get creative about your garage configuration and you can easily save a few bucks!

I spend $300. Here in AZ. 25ft run, new breaker switch. I thought this was very fair.

FWIW, nonmetallic #6 cable (3 wires & ground) is about $2/foot from Home Depot (assuming you can run inside a wall or attic and are not surface mounting). The NEMA 14-50 receptacle is about $10-15. Other parts (j-box, cover plates, breakers, etc). Then there is the labor. And if you are in a community with a building department, they might ask for a permit and final inspection (some $$, some time).

Mine was $480 for 50ft run (not straight)...I already had a breaker.
SoCal no conduit needed. Took about 4 hrs

@jbue: Where in SoCal are you? Looking to install nine in mos angeles area.

Sorry my iPhone had some interesting typing!

$209 for my NEMA 14-50 to be installed right under my panel in the garage.

Just connected with our trusted electrician who is very familiar with our house after he helped with our massive remodel (1.5 yr long project including design and documentation).

It's a long run from one side of the house to the other and then needs a trench to get to the garage. Rough estimate over email $1000 - $1500 for a NEMA 14-50 (he didn't come out and measure it).

Even worse news for an HPWC as that would require upgrading the service to the house. We're not happy about that part because during the remodel he talked us into putting less service into the house that what we thought we wanted.

Says he has done wiring for 25-30 Volts/Leafs and 5-6 Teslas, all at 50 amp.

Any recommendations on electricians to use in SF Bay area and costs. I saw the Solar City note and will be connecting with them.

I had a Clipper Creek CS 100 installed at my parents' summer home in eastern Long Island 2 months ago. My electrician of choice worked for the contactor who built the house 3 years ago so I knew there would be a markup.

Eyeballing the whole thing I assumed the electrician would charge me around $3,000.00 ($2,000 for the actual work and $1,000 b/c the general contractor has to make a buck on this as well, no?)

A ton of money but up to $3,000 I was willing to spend..

I asked the general contractor to get me a quote in early June and 3 weeks later I get an email that he wanted $6,750 just to run the wires from the panel to the garage (not including the physical connection and hanging of the EVSE!)

my jaw dropped. my father's jaw dropped. my lawyer's jaw dropped as I casually mentioned to him what kind of highway robbery my parents have been subjected to getting this home built!

in any case, a forum member on TMC who lives out on eastern long island recommended a local electrician who solar city recommends for the Tesla HPWC installation in the area, and who it turns out makes his living installing solar panels to homes in the area. He mentioned that he has installed "hundreds" of these EVSEs.

Said local electrician came by to check things out and it turns out the run from the panel to the garage wall where I wanted the EVSE hung was about 20 feet, and the whole thing would cost $1200.00!

I liked that price.

The only difficulty would be that he would probably need to punch a hole in the wall below my electrical breaker panel to pass the wire through. the garage sits next to an unfinished basement so running wires behind the garage would not need cutting though walls etc, but the panel was in the finished utility room and while the election would cover (and plaster) any holes made, I would have to get a painter to bring the utility room back to a "finished" state.

still I agreed. hell, I could paint the wall myself!

It turns out we had a bit of unforeseen good luck on the day of the install..

When the electrician’s team opened the electrical panel to find a space or the 100 amp breaker it was discovered that there was a PVC pipe going down into the basement from which the electrical wires to the EVSE could be passed. No ugly hole would need to be cut into the wall below the breaker panel! YAY!

In the end the run was about 25 feet with about 5 feet that was pulled out of the wall on both ends, so we are talking a very short run of roughly 15 feet.

The electrician mentioned that his team might need 4-5 hours for the whole install ("probably closer to 4 hours," he said) but they drove up at 8:50 AM and were driving off with my newly installed CS-100 at around 10:50 AM. The time estimate was prior to the discovery that there was a PVC pipe and no hole would need to be made.

In the end, I feel I overpaid for the install but I am not to upset about it. his team did superb work, were very neat while being efficient, and hey had obviously done this type of install MANY times before. Although the electrican mentioned that they had installed "hundreds" of these EVSEs -- a claim that I find dubious, to say the least.

It was well within my max budget of $3000 and am happy to be able to fully charge my Chevy Volt in 4 hours or less.

As for the General Contractor and his electrician with the $6,750 quote, at the risk of defending their actions, it was probably more of a "please look elsewhere" kind of quote, and "don't involve me in this specialized kind of work!"

I only sought him out as a 1st choice b/c he had wired the whole house and knew it well and my father mentioned that he felt more comfortable if this was the electrician that did the work.

Full disclosure: I had the EVSE installed by the Solar City recommended electrician against my father's wishes while he and my mom were away on summer vacation. Still, I got a phone call a few weeks ago from my dad saying "thumbs up.. nice job on the new charger install!" when I mentioned it only cost me 1200 dollars, he replied.. "very nice!!"

@Kaboom, you are going to get such a wide range of success stories here ranging from so so cheap to very expensive. You can only use our experiences as a wild-a** guess as to what yours will be. Best thing that you can do is get 3 or 4 estimates and pick the one that makes best sense for you. No offense intended but asking on here without identifying your neighborhood/town and your own town's going rate is like asking "how much is it going to cost to paint my house".

Folks, don't forget come tax time. If you are installing equipment or power to support EV charging, the federal gov't authorizes you to a tax credit of 30% of the cost up to a total credit of $ 1,000 for installation at your residence. Check with your tax expert.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen