Zero Emissions. Zero Compromises.
Tesla’s advanced electric powertrain delivers exhilarating performance. Unlike a gasoline internal combustion engine with hundreds of moving parts, Tesla electric motors have only one moving piece: the rotor. As a result, Model S acceleration is instantaneous, silent and smooth. Step on the accelerator and in as little as 3.0 seconds Model S is traveling 100 km per hour, without hesitation, and without a drop of gasoline. Model S is an evolution in automobile engineering.
Dual Motor Model S is a categorical improvement on conventional all-wheel drive systems. With two motors, one in the front and one in the rear, Model S digitally and independently controls torque to the front and rear wheels. The result is unparalleled traction control in all conditions.
Conventional all-wheel drive cars employ complex mechanical linkages to distribute power from a single engine to all four wheels. This sacrifices efficiency in favor of all weather traction. In contrast, each Model S motor is lighter, smaller and more efficient than its rear wheel drive counterpart, providing both improved range and faster acceleration.
Autopilot combines a forward looking camera, radar, and 360 degree sonar sensors with real time traffic updates to automatically drive Model S on the open road and in dense stop and go traffic. Changing lanes becomes as simple as a tap of the turn signal. When you arrive at your destination, Model S will both detect a parking spot and automatically park itself. Standard equipment safety features are constantly monitoring stop signs, traffic signals and pedestrians, as well as for unintentional lane changes.
Autopilot features are progressively enabled over time with software updates. The current software version is 6.2, adding automatic emergency braking and blind spot warning.
With Autopilot activated, Model S automatically follows the road, steering around curves and varying its speed to match the flow of traffic.
Automatically change lanes by tapping the turn signal.
Aware of its surroundings, Model S warns you when merging into an occupied lane or approaching a stopped car too quickly. In emergency conditions, Model S safely brings itself to a full stop.
Model S helps you find a parking spot and automatically parks in it. In the city, it will notify you when it finds a parallel parking spot, then control steering, acceleration and deceleration to back smoothly into it. When approaching a Supercharger station, Model S automatically parks in an open stall.
Highest Safety Rating in America
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Model S is designed from the ground up to be the safest car on the road, as proven by a 5-star rating in all categories of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) crash test. Much of its safety is owed to the unique electric drivetrain that sits beneath the car’s aluminum occupant cell in its own subframe. This unique positioning lowers the car’s center of gravity, which improves handling and minimizes rollover risk, and replaces the heavy engine block with impact absorbing boron steel rails.
Inspired by an endurance athlete
Tesla's design and engineering teams have gone to extraordinary lengths to ensure that air flows smoothly above, around and below Model S to reduce drag, which in turn maximizes battery range. The smart air suspension lowers the car's height at highway speeds to reduce its frontal area. Electronically controlled vents stay closed until sensors detect that cooling is necessary. The front bumper routes air uninterrupted beneath the battery's flat skidplate and past the rear diffuser. The result is a seven seat sedan with the stance of a coupe and supercar aerodynamics.
Zero profile door handles
Model S door handles are a work of art. When a key is in close proximity, they automatically extend. When no longer in use, they retract into the body of the car, creating a seamless surface for air to pass over.
Hidden in plain sight
Scan the streamlined body panels and you'll discover that Model S lacks a fuel door. Approach the passenger's side taillight with a charging connector and the hidden charge port automatically opens. The charging connector cannot be removed until Model S is unlocked.
Built around the driver
Model S is a driver's car. The cabin combines meticulous noise engineering with Tesla's uniquely quiet powertrain to obtain the sound dynamics of a recording studio. The gem of the interior is the 17 inch touchscreen, which is angled toward the driver and includes both day and night modes for better visibility without distraction. It puts rich content at your fingertips and provides mobile connectivity so you can easily find your destination, favorite song or a new restaurant.
Every surface, seam, and stitch is a carefully considered balance between tactile, visual, and environmental friendliness. Door handles are made from hand polished zinc, the leather trim uses premium Nappa leather, and décor pieces are minimally finished to preserve their natural beauty. Materials are sourced as close to our California factory as possible to reduce the environmental impact of transporting them long distances.
The Model S 17 inch touchscreen controls most of the car's functions. Opening the all glass panoramic roof, customizing the automatic climate control, and changing the radio station all happen with a swipe or a touch. The touchscreen, digital instrument cluster, and steering wheel controls seamlessly integrate media, navigation, communications, cabin controls and vehicle data.
- Media AM/FM/HD radio, online radio, on-demand Internet radio, Bluetooth®, and USB audio devices
- Controls Driving personalization, climate controls, and cabin controls
- Camera High definition backup camera, optimized for visibility and safety
- Calendar Calendar synchronization for daily schedule and tap to navigate
- Map Simple, intuitive Google Maps™ with real time traffic information
- Energy Real time energy consumption and range estimation
- Phone Bluetooth-enabled, voice controlled handsfree phone system
Model S periodically receives over the air software updates that add new features and refresh the touchscreen look and feel.
Range Per Charge
- Free long distance travel using Tesla’s Supercharger network
- Wall connector
- 17” capacitive touchscreen with digital instrument cluster
- Onboard maps and navigation with free updates for 7 years
- Automatic keyless entry
- WiFi and Internet connectivity
- Mobile app remote control
- Automatic Xenon headlights
- Retracting door handles
- One touch power windows
- High definition backup camera
- Rain sensing automatic windshield wipers
- Hands free talking with Bluetooth
- Voice activated controls
- AM, FM, and Internet streaming radio
- Available Ultra High Fidelity Sound package
- Electrochromatic mirrors
- Power folding, heated side mirrors with memory
- Two USB ports for media and power
- 12 volt power outlet
- Twelve way power adjustable, heated front seats with memory and driver profile
- Available subzero weather package with heated rear seats and wiper blade and windshield washer fluid defrosters
- Front trunk (no engine!), rear trunk, and 60/40 folding rear seats with 63.3 cubic feet of storage
- Daytime running lights
- Available Smart Air Suspension for raising and lowering ride height
- Six airbags: head and pelvis airbags in the front plus two side curtain airbags
- Electronic stability and traction control
- Four wheel antilock disc brakes with electronic parking brake
- Automatic emergency braking
- Blind spot warning
- Lane departure warning
- Parking sensors
- Speed limit display
- Titanium underbody shield and aluminum deflector plates
Autopilot Convenience Features add
- Traffic-aware cruise control
- Automatic lane centering
- Automatic high/low beam headlights
Premium Interior and
- Fit and finish refinements, including the use of higher quality materials and ambient lighting
- Power liftgate
- Fog and cornering lights
- Lighted door handles
- Interior accent lighting