Forums

Join The Community
RegisterLogin

200 Mile EV Range for a Chevy Volt out Before Model E

No problem for the car companies. Just put a supercharger at each dealer - done in 6 months. How many thousands of GM dealerships are there in the US??

Then take the burger king strategy - work on putting a supercharger wherever there is a Tesla supercharger. 300 locations at $200,000 each - $60M? That is less than their coffee budget.

Perhaps the other manufacturers get together and extend the CHAdeMO standard to be capable of 200kW, and they all put in "small" 100kW chargers at all their dealerships, and 200kW superchargers alongside Tesla superchargers?

Then when they appoach NJ DOT or MA DOT about putting them in turnpike rest areas, they can say it is an open standard, and can be used by any EV manufacturer - they may be able to get travel locations Tesla has not been able to secure.

That is a lot of "ifs", but the point is we should not delude ourselves into thinking the Tesla supercharger network is a barrier to entry or much of a competitive advantage. Best thing we have going is the giants are still asleep, and they'll be groggy for a while when they finally wake up.

@tes-s - do they have a concept or still debating? Will they be fast enough?

Look at these "mobile" supercharger in the images below...
- please notice the holes for a forklift
- pre-fabricated in the factory
- a 200 kVA pole mounted distribution transformer ( common )
- pour a foundation with one conduit ahead of time
- one flatbed truck and a small crew could energize the 900 miles from San Francisco to Seattle along highway 1 in two days with 2 stall superchargers.
- how much does a unit cost? $30k ?

- future... add a small battery to the package and you don't need a 200 kVA feed...

I think we haven't seen the real high locations roll out yet...

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

The pictures are from TMC
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/25085-Maryland-Supercharge...

I am just blown away... a ChaDemo unit cost about $30k and now I can see that Tesla has a supercharging unit for about the same price and super quick installations.
And it is not limited to 2 stall units... for example a 50 stall extension installation on a field next to Harris Ranch could be done in a matter of days - modular pre-fabricated in the factory. Mind blowing possibilities...

This is all true, but many underestimate the fact that so far, Tesla has also had luck, with using tech which was around but deliberately shunned by big auto. Now that they used it effectively and stole all the thunder in obscenely
short time, others will pool their resources in similar fashion also probably. The same advantage Tesla had (also in learning from what others did, tried,etc..) is now in hands of competitors. They now know what works, is possible, etc.. and have much more resources.

Now that it is clear that 120kw chargers can be "cheap", how to logistically place them, do paperwork, ... it is relatively easy for the likes of Ford to strike deals with store chains, restaurant franchises,..

They trow a marketing billion in it and can do it in a year. Coming to a party late, also has advantages. Many helped Tesla but some of those are
now in hands of Tesla's competition.

tes-s;
keep in mind that TM WANTS the "giants" to wake up. Its goal is to popularize EVs, not dominate the market. Any mfr that out-does TM will have to have one hell of a product and infrastructure. Job done, focus on SpaceX, etc.

"Its goal is to popularize EVs, not dominate the market. Any mfr that out-does TM will have to have one hell of a product and infrastructure. Job done, focus on SpaceX, etc."

Oh, okay! So Tesla's real strategy is to use the 'naive' luxury car
buyer to help evolve the EV market. From this we assume that Elon is
the ideal environmentalist, i.e. with little motivation for profit,
a true non-capitalist.

@loren, no reason it can't be both a company for profit, and a leader in the EV revolution.

@loren - someone spending $100k on a car can not claim to be "naive".
What traditional car companies torture governments with for decades is the claim they can not make EVs for profit. That is one of Teslas most important objective to build and sell EVs for profit - the higher the margin the better... show the bacon and the rats will appear from their holes.

Profit is what happens when you create a product or service that a customer is willing and wants to pay for.

Profit is the gold standard for measuring performance.

lorenfb, do you own a MS or have one reserved? Now, I will grant you that I have been lurking on these forums for a couple of months and only placed my order last night. With that said, I never commented about aspects of the MS that I had no experience with. You ranting about the ills of Tesla, without owning one, is rude. As they say, "you don't a have a dog in the show", so you can't fault the MS or Tesla. It's really the manner in which you do it and in multiple posts.

If the car and company bother you so much, then why are you here?

If you do own a Tesla, then sell the damn thing and get this electric monkey off your back.

@kleist - probably still debating; their 200 mile affordable is probably no closer to a design than Tesla's.

I saw that portable supercharger!! Great idea - I think you suggested it a while back. Would be nice to add about 100kW of battery capacity, and then plug it into a NEMA 14-50.

@brian - understood. Nobody should be happier than Elon if GM gets a 200 miler out there with a supercharger network before the Model E. He may even decide to move on to the next project, and have Tesla stick to the MS and MX, or perhaps just sell to one of the biggies. Mission accomplished!

@lorenfb - no profit motive, at least not anymore. It was touch and go for a while, but all go now. Money is not a concern for Elon now, if it ever was.

I drove a volt for a couple of years before getting my model s (85, tech, pano) the bolt is a good car, and actually has a feature or two I would like to see in the MS, like the ability to email directions to a destination from the computer. But the MS is a great car. I was always a little disappointed when the ice kicked in on the volt. Now no ice to kick in, and charging at home ten times faster than the volt, plus superchargers! If GM brings a volt to market that can get 200 Miles on a charge and costs $30k, I would test drive it, but I suspect I am spoiled by the model s now. :)

@papasmurf I respectfully disagree.

Gov't is investing in electric to reduce emissions, so we will continue to see the investment. The issue is whether Tesla can get some traction in the existing rest stops on Interstates, like CT. It appears that there is a combination SC/Level 2 chargers co-existing. So it is EV charging not Tesla charging.

This model would be needed in NY - specifically I-87.

For the colder climates, I really would like to see the ability to plug-in during the day - less for charging but to keep the battery packs warm. This would eliminate "charge rage". A SC is not needed for this. I just don't want to drag around the UMC for the office/mall.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen