Forums

Join The Community
RegisterLogin

300 Mile Range?

Why does Tesla continue to claim an over 300 mile range. We all know this is not at all a truth.

Got a link?

You acheive 283wh/m and you can scrape 300 miles in 85kwh. So acheive 250 wh/m and you can hit it using 75kwh...

Point is, it CAN be done. So they dont need to change anything.

On the Model S page I see "Up to 265MI EPA Certified Range." Which I think is completely accurate.

Mileage claims are always based on specific conditions: 265 miles per EPA, 300 under "ideal" conditions: 55 MPH, level road, minimal heat or A/C.

As they say, YMMV.

judimasters, it's no different than the numbers that any manufacturer boasts on their websites, ads on TV, etc. I own a Volvo V70 that is "rated" for 28 highway, but I have never seen it.

Tesla makes its claims because they are true.

My lifetime average is 294 Wh/mi. That means that I've been averaging 289 miles per charge. Two days ago I drove 114 miles of errands and averaged 270 Wh/mi, or 315 miles per charge. I would say that Tesla's claims are quite realistic and easily achieved.

300 was the number under the "old" EPA 2-cycle measurement. 265 is the number under the "new" EPA 5-cycle test. Same car, two different tests. Tesla currently shows 265 on their Model S web page, so not sure what the beef is.

Aone;
The pre-2011 EPA 2-cycle test yielded 300 miles. The replacement 5-cycle test yielded 265 miles. Every car suffered a similar 15% EPA decrease, AFAIK.

corr: ~12% decrease

It is possible to achieve a 400 mile range. Just drive 25 MPH on a straight and level highway, on cruise control, in 70 degree weather.

The 300 is in "ideal" conditions, which are rarely to never met.

The 265 is more realistic, but nonetheless, the mileage drops off seriously depending on conditions and the speed at which it is driven.

I would not object to characterizing the 300 miles as "spin" rather than a lie but the 265 is achievable under many conditions. Probably the 75 MPH we'd all like to drive

423.5 miles is the record of a father and son team, David and Adam Metcalf.

http://www.teslamotors.com/customers/story-david-adam-metcalf

YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY, DEPENDING ON CONDITIONS AND DRIVING "STYLE".

JB Straubel's explanation of "Model S Efficiency and Range"

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/model-s-efficiency-and-range

From the above:

Tesla range v speed

Brian,
I don't doubt your accuracy, but I was referring to Tesla's current statement: "Estimated range at 55 mph" is 300 miles.

See http://www.teslamotors.com/models/features#/performance

300 miles is certainly doable if you're careful. About 200-230ish depending on driving style, weather and road conditions(ie hills ect.) is more typical. Even so for everyday driving you plug up a lot when you're home or work. It's not like a normal gas powered car where you wait until a 1/4 tank to fuel up again.

-Me

95%+ of your trips in a year will be done in under 200 miles. On those rare occasions, simple careful driving will allow you a range in excess of 250 miles.

With added precautions, climate controls and speed adjustments, a range in excess of 350 miles is easily achievable.

The last so-called American made truck I bought had an EPA sticker on the window that claimed 27 MPG. In my experience there were too many twos (2) in the milage bragging, because I never got more than single diget milage on the highway. Learned that there is a huge amount of manufacturer puffing in those numbers. However, I can tell you that I have, with my P85 Signature, on several trips near Chicago, in Chicago traffic, gotten well over 300 miles on a single charge.

My range on Wisconsin freeways is somewhat less at 287 miles. But then, I didn't spend a lot of time tollway parked in construction watching the traffic on surface streets zooming by.

Lifetime average mileage for my P85 stands at 115 MPGe, or ~ 30% better than the EPA rating of 89 MPGe. To calculate your MPGe:

where EM is equal to your Wh/mi.

In case the above equation doesn't show up, here is the Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_per_gallon_gasoline_equivalent

Basically just divide 33,705 by your Wh/mi and you get MPGe. This is a great way to see if you are getting better than the 89 MPGe EPA estimate.

@AR

109.43 MPGe

But I give a LOT of test rides. I just had a ~1000 mile stretch where my MPGe was 126.

Thanks for posting the formula!

(LMB spouse)

@AR: I think the EPA MPGe calculation uses input power but the Tesla display uses output power, thus ignoring battery charge/discharge inefficiency. Also, the car's display may not account for non-driving (vampire) losses.

A11: "I don't doubt your accuracy, but I was referring to Tesla's current statement: "Estimated range at 55 mph" is 300 miles.

See http://www.teslamotors.com/models/features#/performance"

And this is accurate. At 55 mph at standard temps I get over 300 miles. What are you trying to claim?

@LMB - AR openly welcomes any vampire sucking on his veins...

LMB spouse: indeed the trip computers only reflect energy used while the car is "on". I haven't checked, but I'd bet that it doesn't even reflect the energy used to preheat the car when preheating from battery (instead of shore) power.

Sorry A11, disregard please.
To Judi, the OP. At 55 I easily get 300 miles. What is your specific claim.

I've tried hanging garlic around my car, but it doesn't seem to work...

A11, M22, 55, 300: lot's of double-digit figures today. Any numerologists in the forum?

My lifetime average is up to 266 Wh/m. Before the very cold weather, snow and slush it was 256 Wh/m. Given a usable battery capacity of 81,1 kWh that gives 305 miles, in quite adverse conditions. Thus I think Tesla have every right to claim what they claim.

Robert

Interesting to note that JudiMasters hasn't appeared again in this thread and posted a single hyperbolic accusation...

@ Jewsh I posted that yesterday afternoon. I have other things I do besides sitting at my computer waiting for an answer. I am here now. What is the problem? I asked a question and got several KIND answer and one nasty gram.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen