Forums

Join The Community
RegisterLogin

480v charging option

Has anyone done this? Is anyone planning on this at home?

Not available. Not smart. Not safe.

i have it at my house

Do you have some sort of upconverter to get the 480V DC? That's some massive power supply to boost the voltage and also offer high current.

Can you elaborate? I'm not sure how this would be beneficial. Are you trying to rig up something that will max out the twin chargers' capacity without having to buy the HPWC?

The LA-DWP offers the service but it requires a new feed from the street. When I asked the Solar City installer about the option he thought that the Model S at this time would not support DC charging. He thought over use would burn out the batteries. I wasn't sure.

As I understand it, using the 480V DC charging does not use the two on-board 10KW chargers. It bypassed the on-board chargers.

Normal household AC from the pole on the street is 240V. There are two wires that give you 120V each and together give you 240V.

You can certainly generate 480V DC from this AC feed, but that's a massive power supply and expensive components for that high current.

I don't know of other household feeds that are higher voltage. So, Sykstream, can you describe what you have that is generating the 480V DC?

Correct the 480V DC charging bypasses the 2 onboard 10kW chargers all together, straight to cells.

@dahtye - strictly speaking it is 208V not 240V in the US. Phase-to-neutral voltage is 120V, and phase-to-phase voltage is 208 V [Sqrt(3) * 120]

Oops - I'm going to correct myself. Just remembered that the US generally uses 3-wire 240V split phase rather than 3 phase. So you are right that it is 120/240 not 120/208 (probably) .

In the UK we use 3 phase 240/415.

The 480V supply for the SuperChargers are not DC. It is 480V AC. The Model S can't take 480V DC charging as the battery voltage is only 360V. So the SuperChargers convert 480V AC to ~360V DC for charging the Model S.

Nowhere do we find 480V DC.

I'm going to have to agree with Brian H on this one. Trying a do-it-yourself 480v charge is not a good idea. I'm sure, at best, it would void your warranty.

This is something very difficult to do at home for several reasons:

1. Lithium-Ion batteries require CC-CV (Constant Current - Constant Voltage) charging. This means you need circuitry/intelligence to do that.

2. The Tesla connector has a communications protocol which is propriety. You would have to reverse engineer that.

It's not a matter of connecting 480V to the charge port and hoping for the best.

So, then the question should be: Will TM eventually sell a 480V super charger that is UL certified for home use?

They may eventually make a super-charger unit for commercial sites to install, and perhaps a homeowner or two may buy them. But I don't see Tesla marketing such a beast to homeowners, since so few homes will have a sufficient power feed to make use of it.

I think NEMA 14-50 and the HPWC will be their residential solution for the foreseeable future.

I would agree that the HPWC should be plenty fast for the vast majority of Model S owners.

I thought the signaling protocol was the same as J1772?

@ggr | SEPTEMBER 27, 2012: I thought the signaling protocol was the same as J1772?

I think the AC charging protocol is the same or similar. But I haven't heard anything regarding the DC charging protocol. The J1772 connector adds two additional pins for DC charging. If the protocols were similar, then maybe Tesla would provide another adapter for DC charging in the future?

dahtye | SEPTEMBER 27, 2012 NEW
So, then the question should be: Will TM eventually sell a 480V super charger that is UL certified for home use?

I'd guess not. It's hard to believe there'd be sufficient demand for it to make it worth the effort.

Darwin rules. There are sure to be people to try to kluge it. Briefly.

Nissan is rolling-out level 3 chargers with 480 volts, 3 phases @ 60 amps.

Any chance to plug a Model S into those?

@Tilo: I'm pretty sure you're talking about Nissan "rolling out" the Chademo standard. That is already widespread in Japan, and is an international standard. It is not for home use. It is for commercial charging stations. Nissan plans to put them at their dealerships. So you'd go to the dealership like you'd go to a gas station. These are DC fast chargers equivalent to Tesla Superchargers. However, Chademo tops out at about 60 kW, whereas the Tesla superchargers top out at 120kW. Elon has already announced that there will be a Chademo adapter for the Tesla released for the Japanese model, so Tesla owners can plug in to those networks. However, no US availability has been announced, as far as I know. I'm sure you could probably buy one from Japan under the table, once they are released.

The home charging solutions for Tesla (HPWC) tops out at approx 20kW. After a quick google search, it looks like the best home charging solutions for the leaf are 6-10 kW. (same as a Nema 15-30).

Whether you are talking about fast home charging or on-the-road DC fast charging, Tesla beats Nissan and everybody else in peak output - by double. The only thing Nissan has in its pocket is that they are planning to install them in all dealerships. This makes sense, though, since their cars don't have anywhere near the same range.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen