Forums

Join The Community
RegisterLogin

Charge port unlocking J1772 adapter even when the car is locked (v4.3 or 4.4)

I park at work and charge daily at one of the ChargePoint J1772 chargers there. This week I noticed something unusual: with the car locked, when I press the disconnect button on the J1772 handle, it also unlocked the Tesla charge port, enabling me to pull the J1772 adapter right out with it.

IIRC, that behavior is only supposed to happen when the car is in a fully unlocked state -- when it's locked, you should be able to pull the J1772 handle but the adapter should remain safely locked into the car (to prevent thieves from stealing your adapter).

I keep proximity unlock enabled, so I would have noticed if the car was unlocked as my door handles would have presented. But just to double confirm it wasn't related to the lock state, I tested it with the key far outside unlock proximity. The car was absolutely locked (handles wouldn't present when I touched them, screens off, lights off), and the charge port was not.

One thing to note, this may not be something you can replicate by just plugging in your own J1772 adapter and trying to pull it out. I believe you'll actually need to try this at a J1772 station, as the handle needs to send its unlocking signal to the car through the adapter, which now appears to be respecting that unlock command even though it shouldn't be (because the car is supposed to be locked).

Has anyone else seen this? I'm not super happy about the fact that literally anyone can come up to my car, unplug me, and make off with my $100 J1772 adapter.

Yes i have been experiencing this as well.
WIth both 4.3 and 4.4 installed.

I haven't tried it since I got the 4.3 update, but it definitely wasn't the case for me on 4.2 -- in fact, the first time I unhooked from a Blink charger I took too long and it had latched again.

The adapter isn't useful to anyone but another Tesla owner, so there are limited fencing opportunities for a thief.

I live (and park) in San Francisco, some people around here will steal anything. I speak from experience!

This still happens with 4.5 (v1.33.54), I'm pretty sure I did it today... I'll see if I can reproduce.

I actually experienced it today at the charger in the de young museum in SF with 4.5. I think you are right that this was not the case with earlier Versions

I am having this problem. Even when car is locked, pressing the j1772 handle allows for removal of the adapter. I am on 4.5 and don't remember this being an issue when the car came with 4.4.

Sounds like it is time for a bug report.

Let us know whether Tesla intended to change this for a reason unbeknown to us, or whether it's something they will address in future updates.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen