Forums

Join The Community
RegisterLogin

Charging on 101 halfway between SF and LA - pleasant surprise.

We wanted to take an overnight trip by starting near S.F., overnight in Cambria, and drive home via highway 1 through Big Sur. Not able to find a hotel with charging in Cambria, I stumbled onto the Paso Robles Oaks Hotel, http://www.pasooaks.com/. What a great find! I had never heard of the hotel before, but it had outstanding tripadvisor reviews. The hotel answered all my questions in detail by email while I was out of the country (yes, there is a NEMA 14-50 outlet, and would be available to me night of March 7).

Turns out this is a hotel owned by a husband and wife team, conveniently located by 101, exactly halfway between SF and LA. Their hospitality was unbelievable. Yesterday upon my arrival, the husband owner led me to the charging outlet, saying that an additional twin charger? (he said double charger) will be installed by early April. He even drove us into town twice and picked us up twice, as he knew our car needed charging. The room was neat and clean, breakfast was far better than the typical Hampton Inn or Courtyard, and the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. With a max charge overnight Thursday, we made the 175 mile drive from Paso Robles to Cambria to Carmel to Gilroy with 54 rated mile to spare (268 to 54).

Yes, there is the Atascadero Rabobank, but this experience was totally positive. The charging space was reserved for us, in a safe parking space. The owners and staff were phenomenal. They went above and beyond the usual service. Paso Robles was a charming surprise as well. I understand the hotel owners have even allowed other electric cars to charge for free when the car owners did not even stay at the hotel!

Good to know. I'm still hoping for a SC in that area, but options like this are helpful.

Yes, good find and thanks for the passdown. I'm looking to drive to SF around August, from SD. While I want to take the supercharger route up for fun, we like to take the 1/101 home and eat at Pea soup Andersons. This info will make that possible.

Great find! We need a thread on good hotels with charging facilities.

+1 DouglasR

Thanks! Was looking for just this info

Thank you Hills. We will try it out. I like the idea of driving from SF to LA on 101 rather than 5.

@CnJsSigP
Passed Paso Robles 20 times in the past w/o ever stopping. The surprise to me is the number of good restaurants in this small city, plus 200 wineries.

Hills,

Yeah Paso is a great town. Doesn't look like much from the freeway though! Well hidden.

Went there for the Tour of California (spectator not rider!) a few years back and also agree, nice town. In addition to the restaurants, a couple of wineries nearby and good bike shop.

This is the kind of story that makes me want to encourage everyone to stay with these folks and reinforce their incredible thoughtfulness by supporting their business. Great story and thanks for sharing! I know I will stay there if the opportunity ever arises.

hf;
According to Hills, a couple of HUNDRED wineries nearby! Challenge: sample 1 small glass from each in one day. Spitting prohibited.
>:) ?;/

The 31st annual Paso Robles wine festival is May 16 to 19, 2013. You can check out so many amazing wineries and great food too.

Was at the Horseman's Reunion a few weeks ago in Paso Robles. The PR RV Park has charge facilities when they are not fully booked. I paid $10 to charge, but they were threatening to charge $20 because they were afraid they would lose a RV slot. Do call ahead- they are listed on line in charge-point and others. I agree- this is a surprisingly fun town with some good restaurants and a variety of places to stay. Motel 6 even let us run a 110V extension out our window to our car! Sometimes all you need is 20-30 miles more to make it to Gilroy or the like. Have fun

X Deutschland Site Besuchen