Forums

Join The Community
RegisterLogin

Edmunds: "I drove 47.8 miles and lost 95 miles of range"? 180 mile range "seems more reasonable"?

Edmunds.com's Model S long term road test has generally been fair but this article has some possibly questionable items. Not pulling the Broder card but am interested in what owners think and whether there's an issue with the author, the car or something else? Maybe he's been driving well over 75 or routinely punching it to get the "Tesla smile" but still-180 miles?

Here is one of the claims that was troubling: "The drive isn't terribly long; 300 miles or so. But it's full of hills, traffic and relatively quick highways. There's just no way I'd ever get the claimed 265-mile range on this drive. 200 if I'm lucky. 180 seems more reasonable."

Full article:

http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-s/2013/long-term-road-test/2013-tesla...

*Seems* legit for no regen braking and mountainous terrain (with high speed of course)...not exactly a common case though. I have yet to take to the constant uphill routes yet however.

I just drove a sig 85 loaner for two days and had no problem achieving rated range at 306 wh/mi. When I got my P85 back from servicing I noticed that I had a lifetime average of 356 wh/mi, and this is still what I am getting. Obviously my bigger motor may have something to do with this and or my meters are off. On the other hand I have flogged my 911 on the racetrack achieving 5 MPG and cruised it on the freeway achieving 27 MPG. I have also read an article that showed a roadster doing 50 miles on a charge when driven on a racetrack YMMV.

EclecticCitizen

I'm a little baffled by your post. You say you routinely only get 2/3 of the rated range despite driving habits that shouldn't reduce range nearly that much. I assume you haven't contacted Tesla service about this so if you don't mind me asking, why not?

Silly question, but what does the wh/mi stand for?

Watt-hours per mile, or how efficiently you use power when you drive. 1000 wh = 1 kWh, and the Model S batteries are 60 kWh and 85 kWh.

It's basically the inverse of miles per gallon, like gallons per mile.

Most owners have posted "long-term" averages in the 300-350 Wh/mi range, with several using less and a few more. So it seems odd that someone, who was supposedly testing for a typical road trip (mix of street and highway travel) would be getting in the 550-600 Wh/mi range.

I think he was pulling a Top Gear-Broder somehow. Sounds bogus.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen