Forums

Join The Community
RegisterLogin

Loud pano rattle at full open at 45-70 mph (didn't go any faster)

If my passenger held the front of it down it stopped rattling. Sounds different from the other thread re pano noises when closed. Ay others seeing the same??

Yes, me too. I get air pressure waves in the cabin at the same time, so I think it is all an airflow issue when the sunroof is open. Service has my car now for this and a few other minor issues.

Search the forums using volkerize.com. There are about five threads on this exact topic. It is a known issue with no great fix.

well just an fyi, the 'ideal' setting is 80%, at which I don't get that pressure wave in the cabin. I say ideal only because when opening the sunroof and you go to 80%, 'comfort' pops up on the screen...

Can we all agree that if you have the pano roof, you might get rattles, creaks, wind noise and a host of other undesirable things. That's with any car. Of course, the noises are amplified by the lack of engine noise, so it isn't masked like it is in my SRX. Call service and let them get to work on it. The caddy service people have been working on mine for 5 years now. We don't need any more new threads about these problems. there are about a dozen already.

Disagree... This is a major issue for me!

Complaining here about your "major issue" won't do anything at all to resolve it. Just gives Tesla's critics more ammunition.

Take your complaint to a Service Center. They have the expertise, the equipment and the experience to resolve it. Show patience and understanding, even if if takes more than one visit. Thanks!

From page 13 of the owner's manual, "Drag the slider bar to the indents to open the sunroof to the comfort position (80% open). At this position, wind noise is minimal. You can also move the sunroof to the comfort position by touching OPEN once."

In other words, the roof is designed to be open 80% while driving.

@EVbugs

I had the same issue. The buffeting was unbearable above 40MPH with the sunroof opened above 50%. I took my car to the Tesla Service Center and was basically told that the buffeting was normal. You can do a little research on-line regarding this phenomenon.

Buffeting (also known as wind throb) is an unpleasant, high-amplitude, low-frequency booming caused by flow-excited Helmholtz resonance of the interior cabin. Vortex shedding in the shear layer over the cavity opening (sunroof or side window) couples with the cabin acoustics, leading to a self-sustained oscillation of shear layer and cabin pressure.

When I received my parcel shelf I checked to see if it would make a difference in the buffeting since it should change the acoustics a bit. It did, I am able to use my sun roof (at 80%) up to 70mph without buffeting. I suggest that you also ensure the rear hatch is properly adjusted as well, that is a well documented issue.

Thanks all. This isn't a creaking/cracking/buffeting sound, it's a rattle and its from the pano roof viberating. I had my passenger reach up and hold down the front of the open pano roof and it went away. It may be some kind of support issue. Will take it in.

@mcx-sea "Complaining here about your "major issue" won't do anything at all to resolve it. Just gives Tesla's critics more ammunition. Take your complaint to a Service Center. They have the expertise, the equipment and the experience to resolve it. Show patience and understanding, even if if takes more than one visit. Thanks!”

Put down your cool-aide..I did. This is a "tough love" comment not a “complaint.” My service center said “don’t open it pass 20%”…that is a "major issue“ for me. I’m hoping the parcel shelf fix will work when I finally get that next week…If not, I'll take it back again. What’s the point of a Pano roof that you can’t open past 20%? That said, I have full confidence that Tesla will make it right eventually. I’ll post the good with the bad until that time and I hope other owners will do the same….tough love!

X Deutschland Site Besuchen