Forums

Join The Community
RegisterLogin

Model S 0-60 times better than published (both 85 and 60's)

http://insideevs.com/does-tesla-underrate-the-acceleration-of-the-model-...

“The Model S 60 was amazing consistent running 3 consecutive 0-60 MPH runs in just 5.1 seconds with 0-100 MPH coming in at 12.8 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 13.7 @ 102.8 MPH. This is significantly quicker and faster than what Tesla quotes and actually beats Tesla’s numbers for the Tesla Model S 85 Non-Performance.”

Same for the P85. From what I've heard Tesla SW updates since Tesla first published have had some impact on the results. Optimization in traction control and energy mgmt from battery packs, tec.

The best I was able to get in my S60 was 5.5, and 100 @ 14.2... Though I'm not a pro driver and my methodology probably left something to be desired.

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/060-mph-60-kwh-model-s-faster-pu...

It's really tough to say because there are all kinds of methodologies for testing this. Some do the rollout and some don't. Some people use external equipment to measure it, and some people rely on the speedometer (which doesn't really update that fast).

In real world conditions the S60, and S85 are about the same at around 5.5sec +/- .3 or so.

If you're an acceleration nut your best cars are

P85/P85+ -> Around 3.9-4.2 sec or so
2014 911 Turbo -> Around 2.9 seconds (there might be something else under $150K for this time).

It is really amusing that it takes a $150K car that weighs considerably less to beat the 0-60 time of a Tesla P85. Of course what's great on a drag strip doesn't always bode well for the track where you actually have to take a corner.

@S4WRXTTCS - Based on my tests, the speedometer updates *at least* 12 times a second (I saw every mile from 0 - 12 in 30 frames of video footage), so it's less than 0.1 sec off. I suspect less than that because it seems like the numbers drop faster while braking.

These types of discussions make me smile. Why? Because the Prius that I drive has a 0-60 time of 9.9 seconds. I can't wait to get my P85! :)

I am pleased that the 60 is such a GOOD CAR. I think this is the car of the future with swap enabling improved batteries for years to come.

Next year 100kwh

The year after 150kwh.

Want to pull a long road trip with a 500 mile battery so you can do a "cannonball run" cross country?

All things are possible with the Tesla.

MotorTrend reported 0-60 times of 5.0 s for S85 and 4.0 s for P85, and 1/4 mile times of 13.2 s for S85 and 12.4 s for P85. In all versions, Model S is substantially quicker than what Tesla claims.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/car/1301_2013_motor_trend_car_of_the...

Samo;
That's a bit ambitious, I suspect! Double those times and you might be close, but even that would be pretty spectacular.

Tesla is promising that Gen 3 will have around 200 mile range. That tells me that they aren't particularly interested in developing battery packs larger than 85 kWh.

More like 40-60 kWh is all that would be needed.

@AmpedRealtor,

Conversations I've had with Tesla employees coupled with Elon's public musings about 500 mile batteries.

Not revealing anything that hasn't been publicly affirmed. Customers LIKE range even if you show them on a sheet of paper that they'll use it 0.01% of their trips.

Plus power density and low cost are keys to EV planes becoming a reality. VTVL supersonic planes are one of EM's interests.

@GeekEV |- Ah, I read elsewhere that it was only 4 times a second. It's nice to see that the refresh is actually a lost faster than 250ms.

@AmpedRealtor - If a GenIII is the size of a BMW3 series than wouldn't they have to use a smaller battery pack? Sure it would complicate battery swapping, but that's more of an experiment than anything else.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see the GenIII using a smaller battery pack that had a greater power density than the 85KW. Where the next generation of the MS will have closer to 120KW.

That way they keep separation between a $50K car, and a $70K+ car.

@S4WRXTTCS - 250ms is how often you get updates over the streaming API.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen