Forums

Join The Community
RegisterLogin

Model S does not charge from NEMA 14-50

Came home to charge Model S as usual from NEMA 14-50 charging port located in the garage (240 V). When I pushed the port opening button from the charger cable, charge port door would not open. I manually opened the charge port door and plugged in cable, instead of light blinking green it stayed solid white. I noticed the charging cable did not have a green light on the piece either. Have resorted to using a standard outlet (NEMA 5-15) which only charges at 2 mph.

What could be the problem - Something with the charger? Maybe the source of power in my home?
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If the charger works using a regular outlet, it seems like it's not a problem with the charger, but with your outlet. Do you have a volt meter to test the outlet or access to another 240 (friend, work, Tesla) to test the charger?

Call an electrician. Why post this on the forum?

Like dramingly, I'd say the problem is probably with the 240-volt outlet, although conceivably there could be something wrong with the little adapter on the end of the charger, which plugs into that outlet.

The first thing I'd do is check the circuit breaker to see whether it has tripped. If so, just turn it back on. If it trips again, calling an electrician would probably be a good idea.

And, mclary, why not post this on the forum?

Power fault, possibly. Trip and reset the circuit breaker. Unplug the charge cable from the 14-50 outlet and plug in again.

Mclary, wasn't there just a post about civility here?

No light on the charger would indicate a charger or outlet problem. Since the charger works with 120v, outlet is likely culprit - or possibly the 14-50 adapter on the charger, but not much to go wrong there.

How long ago was the 14-50 installed? If you have a volt meter, you could test that it has proper voltage. 240v between the two blades opposite each other, and 120v between either of those and the round connector, and the slot between them.

The problem may be that you forced the charge port door manually. A white color on the charger does not sound normal. That may be a safety disabling feature.

When my charge port does not open with the button on the cable, I move the end of the cable up near the bottom of the side of the rear window and press the button. The service folks said that is where the sensor actually is. If that doesn't work, I use the control panel to open the charge port door. One of those two always work.

@jackhub

White is normal. Some interpret the white as a pale blue.

It sounds like a charging cable or outlet problem to me.

@mcclary Civility would be nice. OP is frustrated. Sounds like the outlet. Trip and reset the circuit breaker. Try open the charge port with the UMC cable. If this doesn't work probably time for an electrician. If you have a volt meter try test it.

Had asimilar problem with my HPWC. However, using the Mobil Connector worked fine. The 14-50 Mobil Connector recepticle is on the same circuit as the HPWC. Believing it was the HPWC, Tesla sent a new unit. Couldn't get it rewired in right away, and after several trys over the next few weeks the original HPWC has worked fine and has since. For some time a joke around our shop has been to prevent the failure of improtant electronic devices have a replacement waiting on the shelf next to the operating unit. Sometimes, we can out-smart the most sophisticated devices.

This is the job of a voltmeter.

Had a similar problem with my HPWC. However, using the Mobil Connector worked fine. The 14-50 Mobil Connector recepticle is on the same circuit as the HPWC. Believing it was the HPWC, Tesla sent a new unit. Couldn't get it rewired in right away, and after several trys over the next few weeks the original HPWC has worked fine and has since. For some time a joke around our shop has been to prevent the failure of improtant electronic devices have a replacement waiting on the shelf next to the operating unit. Sometimes, we can out-smart the most sophisticated devices.

So you said. Previously.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen