Forums

Join The Community
RegisterLogin

More than 1000 US Sig’s (again)!

"oto_48313 | AUGUST 24, 2012 http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/model-s-reservation-tally?page=49

Tesla Rep told me yesterday that if there is any Canadian signature spot left by end of september, US customers who request it may have a signature model(depending how much will not be use for Canada) as they will produce 1200 signature model prior to general production. So if you are in the US, you can expect to have between 20 to 50 signature as there is currently just a little bit more than 160 Canadian Sig reservation , and they expect few downgrade to Gen prod. If you are in Canada it's time to configure your signature model”

I hope this is not true … as S-1092 I bought with an expectation that their would be only 1000 Sig’s in the US. If Tesla can’t sell 200 in Canada, then they SHOULD NOT add more to the US Sig population. This is a breach of contract as far as I am concerned.

Contract I signed said they'd delivery me a Signature with X color, Y options, etc. I don't recall anything about them not selling any more Sigs after mine.

But let's say it is breach. What is your biteback? Don't take delivery? Don't get your Sig? Sue for fifteen bajillion dollars because some of those cars supposed to be destined for Canada ended up in the US instead?

My wife just wanted the color and I just wanted the car ASAP. Sig was the way to do that, and I'd hoped for something extra but seems I'm paying extra mainly to cut in line. And so are you.

Heck, 20-50 of those cars and 40 or so founders cars. That 1000 was already diluted with founders, now it is just diluted a bit more.

Frankly they could go either way with this. They still need to produce some Sigs for EU and Asia regions, so it isn't like the NA Sigs are going to be the last of them. Plenty to go. But US market is willing to spend for the Sig and they can build them soon... seems like a good business decision. If you were a stockholder I think you'd yell at them if they didn't do this. (

(I'm not a stockholder btw. Just want the car.)

Much ado about nothing... again. I'm sure that Tesla would be happy to downgrade you, should you have a concern with this.

Be sure you also sue the first person you see from Toronto caught driving his Signature S in the U.S., because he'll be responsible for the dilution of the value of your Signature S!!

The time between higher sig nubmers and regular production cars will be a couple of weeks.
You could probably just go with a regular production at this point if you don't want to pay extra,

For me, Sig 592, I'm looking at delivery in October but if I'd gone regular production then it would probably be January. Maybe December, but it would be close. I'd have production # around 5-6000.

I don't have a production number for reference, since I went immediately Sig in October of last year. So it is more than a couple weeks.

Some folks that upgraded late might've had a relatively low production number and relatively high Sig number. For those people it might be a few weeks between them.

Joe,

I'm sorry you're unhappy, but as a fellow Signature reservation holder I frankly don't think we are in any way injured by a shift of a couple of dozen cars from Canada to the US. Looking at the count it looks like there are a total of 175 Canadian Signature reservations out of an available 200.

I doubt that there will ever be a serious collector's market on Signatures because they are virtually identical to a fully optioned General Production Model S. As we know in a few years there will be 10's of thousands, perhaps 100's of thousands of Model Ss and many thousands of those will have the same amenities as a Model S. In fact, it is likely new versions will have more amenities than a Signature.

Since Canadian and US Signatures are easily resold back and forth between countries, there never really were separate markets, but rather just one North American market. The shifting of a few cars from Canada to the US is really meaningless in affecting value, and is not worth getting upset about.

You need to worry about the really important stuff like cupholders. ;-)

Larry

I should have written "...many thousands of those will have the same amenities as a Signature."

@Larry Chanin "I doubt that there will ever be a serious collector's market on Signatures"

Never say never (or ever in this case). You might have collector item after some 50 or so years from now when first of those start to break up ;-)

Seriously, chassis doesn't rust, motor is practically indestructible, battery, PEM and chargers are changeable...in order to break it by wear and tear alone would take forever. I think interior is first to go.

Timo,

Let me state it another way. As a Signature reservation holder I discounted the car being highly collectable as a rationale for upgrading from General Production.

I agree that it is likely that the car will last a long time, but that doesn't make it a collector's item. Exclusivity makes it a collector's item. As I stated fully optioned General Production Model Ss will be almost indistiguishable from a Signature, there will be lots of them and they will last just as long.

Larry

If any were going to be collectable (within fifty years), it would be the Founders series. There are only ~40 of them.

Exclusivity and resale value is most likely a problem for my heirs. I'm going to drive and I mean DRIVE this car for a very long time.

Teoatawki,

+1. I intend to drive my Model S a lot too.

If you went with the Signature Red and/or white leather that also would add value to the Signature series. I went with Pearl White however and black leather so no added benefits here outside of the badging and early delivery. I didn't upgrade to Signature for long term value (except for maybe in my own eyes). It was more for the early delivery and the fact that I was getting most of the options anyway that came with the Signature series. For the exception of the parcel shelf, I wouldn't have added that, especially considering I have the +2 seats for my almost 2 year old twins.

@jerry3

If any were going to be collectable (within fifty years), it would be the Founders series. There are only ~40 of them.
Flag as inappropriate

Exactly!

Larry

Sorry Jerry,

When I cut and pasted I didn't mean to take the "Flag as inappropriate" reference. duh.

Larry

@Larry, I did chuckle a bit at that gaff... :)

LOL. Yeah, I figured. No editing strikes again.

@BYT

If you went with the Signature Red and/or white leather that also would add value to the Signature series.

I agree that the Signature Red with White interior is most exclusive in terms of options, and as it turns out that's what I went with. However, as I mentioned earlier I didn't think that even this selection would result in a car that would be collectable.

Larry

@Larry Chanin I agree that it is likely that the car will last a long time, but that doesn't make it a collector's item.

You got that backwards in my post. My point was that it wont be collectors item for very very long time because it lasts so long. If there would be only a few left after 50 or so years, then it would be collectors item, but when there are couple of hundred thousand around, I don't think so.

Anyway I don't think Model S will be collectors item unless it is regarded as "the car that changed the world" in near future, which I believe it wont be. Before there would be only a few left we are already living in multiple planets and our entire living has changed in a ways we can't even imagine with new materials and techs currently only in labs. No more world hunger (microbe-grown artificial meat anywhere into world), no diseases (nanomachinery), genetic diseases are cureable (genetic engineering), every bodypart par brains are replaceable with new parts (artifical and stem-cell grown spare parts), unlimited energy (fusion, and just plain smarter way to build things), no shortage of any minerals (asteroid mining) etc. etc. etc.

I just hope that people are smart enough to make that brave new world happen the way it could. I don't know what happens to societies when everybody has what they need, and greed is no longer useful driving force. I'm hoping for Star Trek -kind change (without WW3) where people are driven by curiosity (to boldly go where no one has gone before) but somehow I doubt people are that smart.

I just don't think cars will be very highly valued in that future world.

Timo,

Before there would be only a few left we are already living in multiple planets and our entire living has changed in a ways we can't even imagine with new materials and techs currently only in labs...

Let's hope it works out that way. If the bad guys win there is likely to be a new dark age as they want to use superstition to control the masses and throw science out the window.

As some of you know, I was P469 so I gained about 3 weeks with the Sig upgrade according to my rep (Performance, Pano roof, Pearl white, Sig wht. leather, CF trim, perf. wheels, kid seats, p-shelf). I went with the upgrade mainly because of the cream colored leather---best looking overall IMO but the "1000 limited US edition" was appealing too. This configuration will be rare in the US. Too late to change colors guys … so don't get any ideas!

I am not planning to cancel my reservation and will keep the car for years (unless some Hollywood type wants to buy it now for 200K--- then I'll get back in line and switch to gray leather w/blue perf).

Here's my concern: Why should Elon risk his personal reputation, and that of his young company's, to make a small incremental profit….it is not worth it. Your word is your bond … If you say you are building 1000 Sig's in the US … that's what you do. Send the extras Sig's to Japan or somewhere where there has been no promises made. I'm all for making the money :)

The culture/integrity of the company is what's at stake here.

BYT:I went with Pearl White however and black leather so no added benefits here outside of the badging and early delivery.

...and perforated leather.

@Schlermie, I went performance so I have the red piping and not the perforated leather... :)

I saw samples in Palo Alto that had perforations and red piping.

Really? Is that new since the test drive event? As I understand it, perforated leather was exclusive to the Standard Model S just as the Piping is exclusive to the Performance Model S?

@BYT: "not the perforated leather" is one of the reasons we went for the performance. Kids, no matter how careful we are, will figure out how to spill something on the seat and we'd rather it not have an easy way for that something to make it's way inside the seat.

I saw the samples at the Palo Alto test drive event. I'd swear they had a sample board with all 4 leather combinations:

1. No piping, No perforations
2. With piping, No perforations
3. No piping, With perforations
4. With piping, With perforations

I don't have a photo of it, but I'm sure somebody does.

@Schlermie, this would be a good question for those who have already received their Model S!

The Options and Pricing Page seems to imply the following:
Model S – no piping, no perforations
Model S Perf – piping, no perforations
Signature – no piping, perforations
Signature Perf – piping, no perforations

Our car is a Signature non-performance. We have no piping, but we do have perforations. Need an owner driving a Signature Performance car to chime in.

@joefiorelli
You nailed half of it. The other half is that MVPA's were committed (read: non-refundable) before and during the change from 1000 to 1000+. So basically they changed the meaning of an existing set of contracts.

Hold on a sec, let me get this straight: you guys are complaining because Elon has some extra Canadian sigs to sell, and he's willing to let US buyers take them if they want to.

What's next? Are you gonna complain because the delivery truck parked across the street instead of on the same side your house is on?

Tesla has available slots and people that are willing to buy, do you honestly expect them to ignore that???????
And don't give me some garbage about changing contracts: they haven't. There are 1000 US sigs and 200 Canadian sigs. It's just that some of the Canadian Sigs are getting delivered in the US for customer convience.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen