Forums

Join The Community
RegisterLogin

NOW BREAKING: 120kW charging

TESLA DRAMATICALLY EXPANDS SUPERCHARGER NETWORK, DELIVERING CONVENIENT, FREE LONG DISTANCE DRIVING THROUGHOUT U.S. AND CANADA
THURSDAY, MAY 30, 2013
PALO ALTO, Calif.-- Tesla Motors today announced significant expansion of the Tesla Supercharger network. Supercharging enables Tesla Model S drivers to travel long distances, for free, indefinitely.

The expansion of the network builds upon the success of the Tesla Supercharger network that covers California and Nevada on the west coast and the Washington, DC to Boston region on the east coast. The Tesla Supercharger network has enabled an estimated 1 million miles of driving since going live in October 2012. Superchargers are designed for city to city travel, enabling Model S electric vehicle drivers to travel for about three hours, take a 20 to 30 minute break to grab lunch or a soda or coffee, and get back on the road charged up. For free.

With the accelerated rollout of the Tesla Supercharger network, Model S drivers can expect:

Triple the number of Tesla Supercharger stations by the end of next month, including additional stations in California, coverage of the northwest region from Vancouver to Seattle to Portland, Austin to Dallas in Texas, Illinois and Colorado. There will also be four additional eastern seaboard stations, expanding the density of the network to provide for more convenient stopping points.
Within six months the Tesla Supercharger network will connect most of the major metro areas in the US and Canada, including expansion into Arizona, additional stations in Texas, Florida, and the Midwest, stations connecting Ottawa to Montreal, and across North and South Carolina into Georgia. It will also be possible to travel diagonally across the country from Los Angeles to New York using only the Tesla Supercharger network.
A year from now, the Tesla Supercharger network will stretch across the continent, covering almost the entire population of the US and Canada. The expansion of the network will mean that Model S drivers can take the ultimate road trip -- whether that’s LA to New York, Vancouver to San Diego, or Montreal to Miami – without spending a cent on fuel.
In addition to the expansion of the Tesla Supercharger network itself, Tesla is improving the technology behind the Tesla Supercharger to dramatically decrease the amount of time it takes to charge Model S, cutting charging time in half relative to early trials of the system. The new technology, which is in beta test mode now and will be fully rolled out to customers this summer, will allow Model S to be charged at 120 kW, replenishing three hours of driving in just over 20 minutes.

SAH-WEEET!!

Details on locations? Map?

With screen shots

http://www.teslamotors.com/about/press/releases/tesla-dramatically-expan...

not the same screen shots. Wonder where those came from?

Thanks Samo for the breaking news!

We did see in real life "Supercharger 120" label with the new Harris Ranch installation, but we just didn't know it's real or not.

Now, Dream does come true!

Great catch @TAM!

Super charger algorithm changed to allow max rate charging for much longer instead of tapering. This is still in Beta. Expect to roll out to all supercharges within three months

c.160-180 miles in 20 minutes.

New supercharger page is up, with interactive map.

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

90KW to 120KW. This is really exciting. Currently, you have to find a distraction while you are using the superchargers. In the future it won't be necessary.
Thanks Elon!

Ah, they were from the embedded video.

New supercharger page live: http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

200 miles in 30 minutes quoted

That's fucking great. Sorry, I had to use that word.

This just in, internal combustion engine cars become obsolete... or soon will be.

Per call:

Busiest Supercharger WAS Harris but Gilroy and Delaware.

Supercharging doesn't affect the life of the pack, quite negligible.

Not storing the pack at 100% state of charge is the worst thing. And being stored hot.

BEST is midstate of charge and cold.

Maps:
Now:
Superchargers Now

Summer:
Superchargers summer13

Fall:
Superchargers fall 13

My experience last weekend in Folsom makes me think that is a 120 kW beta site. I wasn't paying too much attention given that there is a margarita joint nearby (for the passengers), but I seem to remember 398V/ ~280A at the start of my charge. I was certainly blown away by how fast it charged up!

Winter 2013:
Superchargers Winter13

I pass the Darien, CT rest stops that are being built at least twice a week. I thought I saw something that could end up being superchargers at the northbound stop that is almost done. Based on the map, looks like that may be right.

Average cost/station:

Roughly $150K/station without solar
$150K with solar

Some might be more, some might be less.

100 station mark next year. Going twice as fast as originally planned.

$300K with solar

If you tap the lightning bolt on the screen, it will guide you to the nearest Supercharger.

Automatically updated in real time as they go live.

25-30 in california alone

Couple hundred across Canada and the U.S.

EU Supercharging announcement in a few months.

First deliveries in July.

Shout out to Douglas Adams!!

Generate more energy from the sun than is used by MOdel S recharging at the station.

Recharging is concentrated on Friday afternoon and evening and a Sunday afternoon and evening or in Holidays.

But it sees rather limited use during the week.

Solar panels generate and cumulate more than the cars consume.

We actually have GRID STORAGE going on at some Superchargers. Stationary battery packs that take in energy from the week from the panels.

That stationary pack charges the S's and is capable of completely off-grid.

We expect to roll this out to ALL of the Superchargers.

These will operate even if the U.S. grid goes down.

Even if there is a zombie apocalypse. You will still be able to charge.

Unscheduled announcement - there is grid storage at some supercharger locations. Solar charges the stationary batteries, the batteries charge the car. Capable of going completely off grid.

"Tesla can survice the Zombie Apocalypse"

survive

Solar takes longer to get deployed, but eventually you'll see them at ALL Superchargers.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen