Forums

Join The Community
RegisterLogin

PG&E Releasing EV rates tomorrow (8/1/13)

I was one of those who filed a complaint regarding the slow rollout of the EV rates.

Sine then, PG&E has been very communicative and a client representative called me this morning to alert me that their new EV specific rates will be listed on their website and will be available to select tomorrow.

At that time some of the current options will go away.

Thanks for the heads up. Eager to find out what the new rate is. I have no desire to pay .35c/kWh when I got my MS.

Here are the rates for the new PG&E EV plan A (1 meter):

Total Energy Rates ($ per kWh) PEAK         PART-PEAK    OFF-PEAK 
Summer Usage                   $0.37615 (N) $0.20558 (N) $0.09790 (N)
Winter Usage                   $0.26916 (N) $0.16425 (N) $0.10031 (N)

Peak: 2:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. 
      3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Saturday, Sunday and Holidays. 
Partial-Peak: 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. 
Off-Peak: All other hours.

Total Minimum Charge Rate ($ per meter per day) $0.14784 

The summer season is May 1 through October 31 and the winter season is November 1 through April 30. 

that looks promising... heavy charging I do only during weekends and it looks like we have 20 hrs of off-peak.

If the new rate is effective tomorrow that would be good news indeed. I spoke with a PGE representative today who said the EV rate is being delayed another month or so. Let's hope that napacab's information is correct!

Thanks for the heads up. I've already analyzed this rate structure against my current tiered structure.

My analysis showed that I can add up to 500 kWh per month of charging and still pay less than I did under the old structure (provided all my charging is in the middle of the night). That assumes no behavior change to take advantage of the "time of use" rates other than night time charging.

And at 10 cents per kWh, the Model S gets about 110 miles per gallon gasoline equivalent assuming $4.00 per gallon for a luxury ICE. Or, if you consider that, because I have an EV that gets me a special rate, the electricity for the EV is paid for by my utility - therefore, "gas" for the Model S is free.

Thank you Tesla and California!!! (and screw you Saudi Arabia)

Thanks for info on the new rates - so I'm still a little confused as to whether the new "EV rate plan" will still have an option "A" and an Option "B"... or is there just one plan with new rate structure ?

The PG&E EV rep said there will be a "B" option if you have a second meter.

I have solar and this plan would greatly benefit me as I charge two cars (Tesla and Leaf) from midnight to 7am right now. I also do most of my other electrical usage (save AC) on the weekends. Can't wait!

I just converted my plan to EV-A from E9-A.

Just a couple of things to note for analysis:

The old E9-A plan did not have any Peaks during the weekend (only off-peak and part-peak). Now it is replaced by off-peak and peak.

The old E9-A plan only had part-peak through out winter. However, the new plan has peak, part-peak and off-peak through winter.

In my case, even with these changes, EV-A made more sense.

But E9-A had the tired structure pushing my rate to $0.55 for a/c and cooking. EV-A is non tired and on weekends you have 20 hrs off peak for charging.

Yes. That is true, but I think depending on usage, the blended average rate differs. In my case, the summer peak blended average was about 41c, off-peak average was around 12c and part-peak was 22c with the E9-A rates. All of these are better with the EV-A plan.

However, for winter, my rates are actually marginally higher. So on average, it completely depends on your use pattern.

Switching to EV-A was not a slam dunk in my case. When I looked at historic bills over a period of time and adjusted for my estimated Tesla charging, I came out only slightly better. This is with 2 cars needing charging (Plug-in Prius + Tesla MS60).

I switched to E-9A back in March when I got my MS. It's tiered but the rates start out super low and I have solar panels that keep me at baseline or worse case at tier two in a hot month. And there's no PEAK at all in the Winter months.

They've closed this rate schedule and will eventually force customers that are already on it to move off. I'll probably move back to E-6 rather than EV when the time comes. E-6 is the rate schedule people with solar typically choose.

Total Energy Rates PEAK PART-PEAK OFF-PEAK
Summer
Baseline Usage $0.31083 ( ) $0.10172 ( ) $0.03855 ( )
101% - 130% of Baseline $0.32954 ( ) $0.12043 ( ) $0.05726 ( )
131% - 200% of Baseline $0.52212 (I) $0.31301 (I) $0.16638 (I)
201% - 300% of Baseline $0.56212 (I) $0.35301 (I) $0.20638 (I)
Over 300% of Baseline $0.56212 (I) $0.35301 (I) $0.20638 (I)

Winter
Baseline Usage - $0.10160 ( ) $0.04820 ( )
101% - 130% of Baseline - $0.12029 ( ) $0.06690 ( )
131% - 200% of Baseline – $0.31289 (I) $0.16638 (I)
201% - 300% of Baseline – $0.35289 (I) $0.20638 (I)
Over 300% of Baseline – $0.35289 (I) $0.20638 (I)

This is good. I have been on E9-A since March. Hope I can switch. They said something about not being able to switch for a year.

Nowadays, my client provides free charging, so I rarely hit the baseline anyway.

I only charge my MS in weekend because I charge it at office during weekdays. So E-9A seems better for me compared with EV-A.

TLS;
You can use the <pre> tag to force a segment of fixed font, albeit in a smaller font, for tables.

I'd like to know if I am calculating this right...

Let's say you have a large non-EV electrical load that pushes your E-6 into tier 4&5(40c&32c). You have solar that covers you during peak hours but only trims off some tier 5. You also have a MS which uses 40kW a day.

I thought EV-B would be the smart choice here so that the 40kW is charged at off peak.

But if you stuck with one meter and signed up with EV-A, wouldn't you benefit from the low EV part-peak(20c) and off-peak rates(10c) for non-EV loads?

I don't see the benefit of EV-B here?

Thanks!

In case anyone needs it, the full tariff schedule is at http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV.pdf. I had a problem finding it before.

Can anyone tell me how to use smartmeter actual usage to do a rate cost comparison on the PG&E website? I could only do it for E-1 vs E-6 and various versions thereof (no EV rates besides their generic EV calculator which doesn't use your data).

X Deutschland Site Besuchen