Forums

Join The Community
RegisterLogin

Rear mirror auto-tilt not working after V1.15.8 update

I know it was working before but the update just applied on my car and now it seems the auto-tilt doesn't work for the rear-view mirrors. Is anyone else seeing this?

-Joe

I jumped in the car to try out your issue. I have the update just last night. I had the same trouble but then I went into Controls - Settings - Vehicle and found I had previously set the mirrors to not tilt. Do you see that? I tried various settings of the buttons being lit or not lit but it looks like both mirror will tilt (differently) if you have the setting turned on. agree?

My settings are turned on for tilt and they don't move at all when in reverse. It behaves the same way regardless of whether that setting is on or off.

Tilt? That is seriously dated tech for rear view mirrors, are you sure it tilts, or does it auto-dim at night?

I heard you can set the tilt position by putting car in reverse then move the mirrors then it will ask you to save it.

@ TikiMan

"Tilt? That is seriously dated tech for rear view mirrors, are you sure it tilts, or does it auto-dim at night?"

Think that they are referring to the outside mirrors that are able to tilt when car is put in reverse, not the inside rear view mirror.

TikiMan, you misunderstand.

When you put the Model S into reverse, the side mirrors automatically tilt downwards a little to change the perspective and give you greater visibility of things immediately behind your car. This is not unrelated to dimming for brightness/glare at night.

This is not unrelated to dimming for brightness/glare at night. (olanmills)

Oops, double negative, probably opposite of what you meant. ;-)

joepruitt, here's my understanding (as a reservation holder, not-yet-owner, but it may be helpful nonetheless): With tilt enabled in the settings (see bfranks273's post above), there are two distinct, independent mirror positions saved for drive vs. rear. When adjusting the mirrors, you are only affecting the setting that is currently active. When switching between drive and rear, the respective settings are restored.

Now, if both settings have the same position saved, it may appear as if tilt isn't working. Try adjusting the mirror position down while in rear, and it should return to the original position when you change back to drive. If that helps and tilting did work before the update, then maybe the update reset the saved mirror positions (which isn't nice but not a real problem either).

Volker.Berlin, you are right. When in reverse, if you change the mirror positions and then switch back to drive, they move back to the previous positions and remember your changes next time you switch back to reverse. I know that it didn't do that before the upgrade though so something changed there...

Oh well, crisis averted!

-Joe

Glad I could help! And glad that it turns out that Tesla's update did not have a bug. At least not this one. :-)

Good that you did understand what I meant although I mixed up "rear" and "reverse" (gear). Sorry for that.

I know I'm late to the party, but the auto tilt mechanism is explained in the Owner's Guide on page 14.
https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/ms_owne...

Oh, sorry... I usually refer those as 'side mirrors', and the one in the inside-center of the front glass window as a 'rear-view mirror'.

TikiMan, the Tesla rep I usually talk to, a British guy, called them 'door mirrors'. Lots of choice out there, and 'rear-view mirror' surely is the most ambiguous one!

Volker.Berlin you are the smartest person posting on these forums. Perhaps Tesla can hire your services to troubleshoot simple problems.

@nvjx and volker.berlin

+1

X Deutschland Site Besuchen