Forums

Join The Community
RegisterLogin

Sirius XM for $2500?

I'm curious if you really need the $2500 sound package to get Sirius XM? I love my sat radio, but $2500 for that a some extra sound? Yeesh. Killing me here.

There may be a work around. I have the Sirius XM package that let's me listen not only through my car, but also on my mobile devices (iPhone and iPad) - all on the same account. However, I am not sure you could bluetooth to your mobile device in the Model S without the Tech Package (if that is the case), so that might be worth checking out first.

I got the premium sound system (meh) and the Tech Package, so I haven't needed to link with my mobile device, other than to play from my iPhone playlist.

The answer is yes as it is an integral part of the media center in the upgrade sound package. If you have an external Sirius/XM capable device that is also blue tooth capable, you could stream the output to the media center.

Get the iPhone or Android app for sirius and bluetooth it to your car. $3.50/month. I am not a sterophile, but I think the sound of the standard stereo is just fine.

Pre-empted me while I was typing!

I was also thinking you could perhaps stream off the iPhone app. Two things to consider: 1) you are gonna burn through your data plan and 2) the iPhone app has really poor ratings .

O

I believe bluetooth streaming from a mobile device may re-comparess the audio to fit into the smaller bluetooth data stream, thereby degrading your audio versus getting the audio stream directly from XM.

As a note here from someone who has used both satellite and streaming XM extensively, the audio quality from the internet-based stream far exceeds that of the satellite broadcast.

So as a potential point, you're starting from a higher-quality input prior to compressing for Bluetooth. The actual audio quality afterword may not be as different as you'd expect.

I've been using Pandora on my Android phone with Bluetooth to the car, and it works pretty well. However...

1. It's a pain to have to unlock my phone and run the Pandora app whenever I get back into the car and want to listen to Pandora;

2. Occasionally, the app will pause while I'm driving and I then have to turn on the phone (including password!) in order to restart.

I hope someone can tell me that I'm doing something wrong and that there are workarounds because I really do enjoy Pandora as opposed to Slacker and XM Radio, but in the interim I've found myself settling on those due to the inconvenience.

No, you could buy a standalone Sirius/XM unit as well for much less. They don't usually look too pretty though and depending on the one you purchase, you still have to route the audio through something else first (simple headphone plug to FM broadcasters are cheap though).

For high quality (USB music files are obviously supreme), a standalone unit won't be as good as the built-in solution. However, if you only need XM/Sirius when you're out in the boonies, it could work decently enough for less money.

Having said that, I bought the upgraded sound package...you get a lot more than just the radio hardware, regardless of if you think it's a deal or not.

I didn't get the premium sound. I wanted to change after I finalized but couldn't. I have had the car since May
and haven't missed the XM at all. The Slacker internet radio is great. If I don't like what it plays I can just skip to the next song. With XM I would have to wait it out.

What music formats work on the USB? Will iTunes native format work?

The main reason for me in getting XM was that I travel in many areas were there is no phone reception and thus I couldn't stream XM from the internet.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen