Forums

Join The Community
RegisterLogin

Tesla on ABC World News Oct 25th, 2011...

I just caught a story on ABC World News tonight about government grants to green tec companies, and they brought up Tesla and Karman Fisker. The interviewer questioned Tesla VP Diarmuid O'Connell, with regard to their SEC filings stating that they "expect continuing losses for at least the forseeable future", and if they don't make a profit, they might not be able to pay back those government grants, to which Diarmuid responds, "...well, we will make a profit".

Personally, I would have put FAR more money into Tesla, over GM, because GM is a JOKE! Their business model is bound to fail again, because they are thinking backwards, and not forwards.... Big unions, poorly built cars, weak designs, no future vision. I have only seen a couple of their new hybrid EV cars on the road, and they are not much to look at. Otherwise, their big commercial push is the new 300, with a former hip-hop artist plugging how Detroit is now cool, etc. Seriously? Who do they think they are kidding? Detroit is a cesspool, and no one I know thinks of 'cool' when the word Detroit is mentioned, but rather $100.00 delipadated homes, in drug infested neighborhoods.

The FACT is, Tesla is new, fresh, innovative, and built in America with the kind of brilliance that made Apple Computers the BIGGEST company on the planet!
I know it's a risk starting a car company in America, because the big three automakers here don't want anyone else to make the look worse than they already do, but seriously, they should be embracing Tesla, because once the Model S hits the market, they all know dam well, they will be doing everything they can to jump on the bandwagon with something that looks just like it.

Economists seeing a big bettor would infer one of two things: (a) a risk-seeking individual or (b) someone with private information about the likely outcome. I admit that Elon probably falls into the risk-seeking category, but I believe that he has better information than you or me about the likely success of Tesla.

@brianman: "You might think making big bets is rare and a sign of confidence"

No, merely commitment.

Elon's a pig, not a chicken: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chicken_and_the_Pig

:-)

Elon Musk personally guaranteed to payback DOE:

http://money.cnn.com/video/news/2011/10/31/n_tesla_elon_musk.cnnmoney/?i...

Now if you want to complain about subsides, how about the billions going for Corn, sugar and tobacco. Leave tesla with a small loan out of it

Tesla loan is not subsidies or bailout money. It is DOE ATVM loan, a program that is just good business to government and taxpayers.

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about the extent of government subsidy in this country. I sit on the bank of the Ohio River and watch humongous 12-barge loads of 'stuff,' including lots of coal, pushed up and down the river. They pass through a canal built and operated by the Army Corp of Engineeers. A second lock was just completed at a cost of over 1.5 billion dollars. Those barges pay the same thing people pay when they take their little fishing boats through . . . ZIP! There are dozens of these canals on the waterways of the US. Without them, the rivers would not be navigable for commerce. The subsidies they are aplenty.

As for the Tesla loan, it was made under legislation passed in 2007, and approved by the President at that time.

As I said Tesla loan is not subsidies or bailout money. It is DOE ATVM loan. A loan. That's something you pay back. Bailouts that GM & co got at the approx same time are completely different thing.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen