Forums

Join The Community
RegisterLogin

Where are the replacement 14-50 plugs?

I have not got one yet in the mail....similar thread on TMC shows none mailed out as well???? Please post if you get one.

I asked that today and told they are being designed.

Talked to my contact at Tesla and he was able to confirm a definite ship date: soon.

I love a definite soon. I'm going to get the software update definitely soon also.

I talked to a rep last week. Soon. But they do have to design, test cycle, and manufacture 20 K of these. And it needs to be done right, so it's got to go through a lot of destructive testing for simulated aging, heat, cold, fit and finish, and functionality.

Soon is OK. We all didn't miss out on the shipments.

@jbunn I like "soon." It keeps them out of the kind of trouble we saw on threads like Five Days To Go and Supercharger Maps.

Talked Los Angeles SC, they told me end Feb early March. They will make an announcement about it when it's ready.

Right after suspension lowering comes back. This is only safety. Gotta have what we paid for. Elon proooooomised! First things first. ;-)

This makes me think about all the "Dude! Where's my car?!?" threads from a tad more than a year ago.
I think Europe just went through that initiation.

Drove over a 4 inch wide truck cargo tie down strap ratchet at 84 MPH on interstate 8 near Yuma Arizona today.

Kinda glad I wasn't lowered. Must have been close. Was boxed in with no where to go but over it.

I don't plan to lower if it's selectable when it comes back. I will give up a mile of range to not trash a 50 k battery.

My plugs work fine. I am not worried about it at all. My bet is that every melt down was from outlet connections overheating. The thermal fuse will protect the adapter from customer outlet overheats.

Lots of posts of people trying to out smart the amp god with creative adapters and manual over rides of the adapter ratings. The car may save you in a crash but it may not save you from a self induced house fire.

My adapter melted but it wasn't because of the outlet connection. The connection from the wall adapter to the EVSE is just too light gauge, and there's not enough surface are on the connection. Compare that connection to the wide, heavy blades of a NEMA 14-50 for example. It's pretty easy to see why it overheats at the side opposite to the wall plug. It will be fixed and we'll all move on. It's a cautionary tale though, about how robust connectors need to be for reliable connect/disconnect operations. I would apply that same caution to my battery connectors in the context of swap operations.

@roamer - why worry about debris trashing the battery? Insurance will replace it as a road hazard accident - and then you'll have the latest, greatest battery.

I'm not advocating on-purpose events, but one of the best days of our investment life was when a tornado tore down a failing Stroud, Oklahoma factory outlet center in which we had an interest. The "official" word was that it would be rebuilt, but in reality, it returned our equity that was otherwise going to be lost, no harm, no fail. Cell phone failures under insurance have similarly been helpful...

Has anyone received their replacement adapter with the thermal fuse yet?

Over two months ago Elon Musk said the adapters would be mailed out within two weeks. The last I heard from Tesla, the adapters would be out in late February or early March.

Worrisome using a recalled adapter that is a known fire hazard.

Elon uses a Martian calendar.

SC in Watertown told me that only "older" adapters were a problem (when I asked when to expect my replacements as well), and that I probably didn't have a problem (delivery in early September).

Don't know if the story is true. Could be a short, telling a yarn.

Allegedly a Canadian claims that his at UMC overheated near or at the adapter, then Tesla charged nearly $700 for a replacement.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/25444-Melted-Charging-Adap...

I realize NHTSA doesn't necessarily have jurisdiction in Canada but wouldn't it be good customer relations to replace the UMC at no charge if the fault might be related to the recall?

Though it does sound by his description that he might have a bad outlet.

@ notice

I think they're trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

If the newer adapters were sufficient, then how come they aren't shipping them to fill the recall?

According customers the newer adapters are also melting.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/26926-Mobile-charger-will-...

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/18092-Schmelted-UMC-NEMA-1...

I think the recall is taking longer than they thought because replacing an adapter with one with a thermal fuse isn't going to be enough to solve the problem. I think they may have to recall the whole UMC.

Or... Maybe more confidence that the rate limiting software update is a sufficient remedy? Who knows?
I only use the mobile connector on trips and so far have not plugged in to a 50a circuit so I am okay waiting things out.

I wouldn't worry too much. Tesla has been known to offer to repair fire damage, even if they are not at fault.

Conroy--AFAIK there are NO new redesigned NEMA 14-50 adapters (with the thermal fuse) in general circulation. Not sure what 'newer adapters' you are referring to...

I have not gotten one either. I am not all that worried about it. I wired my circuit with 4 gauge copper because I had it left over from wiring my barns and did not want any voltage drop for my 55 ft run (not that you would get that much). I am a DIYer but also have an electrical engineering background. Actually a jack of all trades. If you are worried just dial down you charging rate from 40 amps to maybe 30 or less. Your at home sleeping, do you care if it takes 2, 4 or 6 hours to charge. It is not going to cost you any more. Your get up in the morning and your are off again, no big deal. When the replacement adapter comes you can crank up the amps and do it faster and your now happy again.

I don't think my 2012 adapter has been replaced yet.

MS5;
As a enginere you get a pass, I guess. But it's "you're at home" and "you're happy". And "You get up".

BH

Your right!

In days of yore ...

I just took delivery a few days ago and mine came with a new UMC like all do, I wonder when the redesign comes out if we will be allowed to keep the old one or turn it in to get the replacement... It would be nice to have both especially since the only time I will need it is on the road since I have an HPWC at home...

@ notice
"Maybe more confidence that the rate limiting software update is a sufficient remedy?"

I would consider that a snow job also.

The problems have continued even after a software update.

In many cases it is not rational or honest to expect a software update to solve a hardware problem.

@Nuts4MS They are not replacing the UMC they are replacing the little round black thing that allows you to plug the UMC into a 14-50 220v socket.

@ Out4aDuck

"I wouldn't worry too much. Tesla has been known to offer to repair fire damage, even if they are not at fault."

That sounds like the same attitude and approach that Ford had with the Pinto. Tesla and you are okay with that? There is a Tesla fault.

Do you own a Tesla model S? Are you married and have kids? Do you have an attached garage? If so, do you think your wife and family would be happy with you if they knew you thought it would be okay if they burned up, as long as you think Tesla will pay money for damages? What value do you put on life?

Don't worry be happy! They are being redesigned by the same people who are redesigning the sun -visors.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen