Forums

JOIGNEZ-VOUS À LA COMMUNAUTÉ
INSCRIVEZ-VOUSIdentifiant

Tire wear at 5000 miles

Just had my 5000 mile rotation. MS85, 19", Michelin Primacy MXM 4. After rotation, front tread at 6mm, rear at 7mm.

Does that sound normal, I believe these tires are at ~ 11mm when new, so it sounds excessive,

What have others experienced? How may miles should these run? They carry a 45,000 mile limited warranty [62,000 miles in Europe!]. No way they'll get there.

I have the Goodyears. At 30000 miles I was at about 5/32. Doing my 35000 rotation/replacement in about 2 weeks. At 5000 I think I was 9-10/32.

I have a P85 with 19" Michelin Primacy tires. I had the tires rotated awhile ago at Tesla and they had roughly 6000 miles on them. Here's my reading from the Tesla service report:

Outer Center & Inner Tire Tread Depths: FR: 6 6 5mm FL: 6 6 5mm
RR: 6 6 5mm RL: 6 6 5mm

7/32" is around 5.5mm so the inner depth is right around that. I thought that was great.

My 19" Blizzaks after 14k miles on a P+ had 10/9/10 32nds in front and 6/5/6 in back. Rotating front to back next year should provide 30,000 miles of service.

Bighorn. Are you only rotating once a year? Tesla recommends every 5000 miles.

Doesn't a P+ have different size tires in the back? Or did you change?

My P85+, which we cannot rotate the tires, just had to have the back tires replaced after 8,000 miles with steel tread showing.

These were my snow tires. I just changed them back to the staggered summer set up. Now that you can reset the TPMS, it's a DIY job. No big deal to either jack the car or torque the lug nuts. I don't live near a service center, so a mid winter rotation was not in the cards. If I had 21" summer rubber that was rotatable I might keep to a 6000 mile schedule given their price and fragility.

Bighorn, just to be sure I understand, when you change wheels, you remove the TMPS sensors and install them in the wheels that you are going to use? If so, can you remove the TMPS sensors yourself without any special equipment to remove/mount the tires on the rims?

Thanks

@pleasanton
The TPMS sensors are inside the tire so you should never see or touch them. The car has a re calibration key on the big screen to account for ideal pressure which is different depending on the wheel size.

rick@votaw.com

Regen braking wears rear tires more than it does front tires. Tesla Owner's Manual recommends same side rotation every 5,000 miles. If you had done so, it's not likely you would have needed to replace any tires at 8,000 miles.

Gadfly: Keep us posted with how your tires do at your next rotation -

Bighorn, I know how the TPMS sensors operate and where they are located which is why I am confused. Did you purchase a second set of TPMS sensors and if so, how are you getting the car to read the second set since I believe it can only be calibrated to one set of TPMS sensors?

I have been told my several people, from Tesla, my tire places, etc. that I cannot rotate my tires because on the P85+ the tires front and rear are different sizes. Rotating left to right alone doesn't gain anything.

@ Pleasanton
I have TPMS in both sets of wheels. Car can calibrate based on rim diameter
More than one set possible now without a service visit.

@rick
Some swap rear tires so they're inside out. I'm not seeing shoulder wear after 6k so I probably won't bother. Only 1mm differential between inside and outside tread

I'm at 14000 miles, just did second rotation 19" Goodyears. I still have 9/32 left on all four tires so I think I'm probably doing better than most.

Why would regen braking wear tires more than normal braking? The same amount of energy has to be dissipated in both. In fact, sudden stops will create worse wear than gradual slow downs. I'd love to know the physics, because right now, I see this as an excuse for mechanical issues that force us to buy new tires prematurely.

We had an issue with our car where it would pull to one side when accelerating and the other side when braking. Turned out that it was a loose arm ball joint. Now we are having thunking noises when the car goes over bumps, and clicking noises when steering to park. We're now told we need new tires at 15K.

Our tire wear at 5900 miles, when the ball joint was tightened, was: 9/32" in the front and 6/32" in the rear.

Anyone think this is truly just wear and tear vs something else?

@mzincali It's just mentioned as a factor but it's not saying it's the only factor or even a significant factor. With regen only the rear two tires see action while regular brake uses all four brakes. The front tires actually see more action in this case since weight is distributed more to the from when you brake.

I had a Tesla service station recommend replacing one of my tires at under 5,000 miles and they said this was normal! I don't think it would be normal to spend $3200/year on tires (4 tires every 6 months). That is ridiculous.

Also, both business partner and I have had multiple punctures (7 total) in the last year or so. There is a construction site next to our office, so it isn't completely the Model S fault. That said, after polling our ~18 co-workers, it appears that only one other person has gotten a puncture. So it appears the Model S tires are much more highly susceptible to punctures than a "normal" distribution of other cars.

It is one of the most (of extremely few, thankfully) disappointing things about my ownership experience thus far...

If you are seeing premature tire wear on your Tesla, have the alignment checked. My P85 has been out of alignment three times since I purchased it two months ago.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen