Forums

JOIGNEZ-VOUS À LA COMMUNAUTÉ
INSCRIVEZ-VOUSIdentifiant

How long does it take to charge using the j1772 public charging station?

The Tesla "go electric" section does not address how many miles per hour of charging you get with the 1772 public station charger. I know I will get 31 miles per hour at home using my NEMA 14-50 outlet but I would like to know if the j1772 is faster or slower.

I saw about 23-24mph on a j1772

Note that 31 mi/hr is ideal miles, not rated miles. I see 27 rated miles/hr on my 14-50 plug, and I got 21 on my own J1772 plug (I have a LEAF as well, and I tested it before I went out of town). Charging from 93 rated miles to 241 (a standard charge) took right at 7 hours to charge at a hotel on a 30A Blink charger.

The J1772 standard supports up to 80A, but I haven't heard of any above 30A beside in Canada (and you need dual chargers in your car to take advantage of more than 40A).

When you see the charging mph on your screen, double-check with the total miles added and the time it takes. Seems sometimes the reported miles/hr are lower than the reality.

It also depends on your state of charge when you plug in. The charging rate slows down as the battery approaches full.

The charge rate at most stations I've used is between 20 and 24 miles per hour of charge. Some are lower, i.e. 10-12, and you must make sure the plug is firmly in place (green light) or you won't get a full draw.

Tesla doesnt give an amount because j1772 is more of a universal adapter and not all j1772 charge ports produce the same amount of power. I have seen reports where people were pulling 50A from some however the most I have seen was 32A

I've charged at the Picacho Peak, AZ 1772 charger. It's rated at 70A, but has 208V nominal voltage. The car says 32 m/hr:

@Alex K

Do you have twin chargers?

@DouglasR | JANUARY 22, 2013: Do you have twin chargers?

Yes, I have twin chargers (at least I paid for them). I think it could not draw 70A without the twin chargers. Each charger's wiring is limited in size, so it requires both chargers to get more than 40A.

You will also note at 69A@204V is 14kW, which is more than 10kW of a single charger. Tesla's theoretical 80A@250V is 20kW which they say is 60mi/hr - so 14kW would be 42mi/hr. At my house the voltage is around 336V, so when I get my HPWC installed I should see rates of 56mi/hr (80A*236V/20kW*60).

I would also add that the picture above was taken right after charging started. I walked away, so I don't know if the mi/hr would have gone up, but I don't think it could go above 42 mi/hr. Also according to the Chargepoint usage logs, I used 14.2kWh, which lines up with the amperage and voltage.

@Alex K - Checked out that Picacho Peak, AZ charging station on PlugShare. Looks like they've got a little something for everybody; even a NEMA 14-50. Did they charge you by the hour or by the kWh consumed?

@stevenmaifert@a... | JANUARY 22, 2013: Did they charge you by the hour or by the kWh consumed?

The total cost was $0. The station has been installed recently and is not even on the Chargepoint maps, so maybe they haven't set up any billing yet. Also, the CHAdeMO charger was not operation there - it was stuck in the Windows XP screen.

@Alex K | JANUARY 22, 2013: At my house the voltage is around 336V...
Correction: At my house the voltage is around 236V..

X Deutschland Site Besuchen