Forums

JOIGNEZ-VOUS À LA COMMUNAUTÉ
INSCRIVEZ-VOUSIdentifiant

The Quant - 912hp EV powered by salt water?

Wonder if it even runs? It is great that there are people out there thinking out of the box though.

Not going to happen.

There are lots of possibilities for personal transportation and more will become reality when we stop thinking in terms of burning liquid carbon. I think we've passed the point of no return on this journey and the best is still ahead. I already have a reservation for the Tesla Model 37 which will run on rainbows and unicorn pee.

So it's a limo but it can only seat 4.

It is a concept vehicle but Tesla is the only competitor. Huh?

It has the dimensions of a full size Humvee. It must be very convenient to park this "limo".

Concepts are nice but they are usually created to test new design cues and technology. Majority of concepts never make it to a production line due to high costs or immature technology.

Bah, don't exaggerate with the headline. It's not "running on" salt water. That is just the type of chemistry in its battery. It is still running on electricity, which need to be recharged somehow. And since there isn't an infrastructure of the pre-charged custom liquid solutions it needs, it had better be able to recharge from electrical plugs somehow. I haven't seen any mention of how fast that recharging can be.

Funny how they low ball model s by quoting range of 40 (unavailable) and 60 but not 85.

I finally managed to find an interview from one of the car shows. The guy with the perfect hair that doesn't move actually admitted it is a one-off 'car', not ready for production, used as a research platform. It's been making the rounds on the show circuit since 2012.

I think they wanted to make the car look sort of like a mechanized land shark, a play on the notion it 'runs on salt water'.

Given the lots of chemical slush inside, I'd rather wait until the technology becomes competitive with Li-ion in terms of price and energy density, then get a home storage system based on it. Don't really want all those tanks in the vehicle.

As for vehicles, I'd rather look out for this awesome "bike"

@ Rocky_H (August 1, 2014)

<< It is still running on electricity, which need to be recharged somehow. >>

Of course!

There is no recharge procedure/port mentioned or shown.

The Quant's drive train seems to draw its propulsion current from a super-capacitor storage system, while the giant "nano" (what a misnomer!) FLOWCELL contraption is just an electricity generator, which is used as a range extender, but mislabeled "battery".

Thus, the Quant deserves attention for the elements of its propulsion system, but, as a whole, is an impractical monster.

Gimme 5! I mean, Quant!

Pretty. And 2.8 seconds? 236mph max? Wow!

But they never mentioned range. Isn't that a little important?

Also, one of the more pedestrian things I love about the Model S is the space. Looks like the Quant has space for 4 very cramped humans and probably not more than a couple of bags of groceries.

They list the range at 248-372 miles. Pretty impressive. Now all they have to do is give it a reasonable price, build out a charging infrastructure. Then and only then will it be, still not as good as the Model S. :)

@jjs | AUGUST 5, 2014

"They list the range at 248-372 miles. Pretty impressive. Now all they have to do is give it a reasonable price, build out a charging infrastructure. Then and only then will it be, still not as good as the Model S. :)"

That and more -- such as a superb sales and service system.

I'm not selling my TSLA stock, nor losing any sleep at night due to concern about this competition.

Ron :)

Sounds great! sign me up for as many as $100,000 will buy, I would like delivery this year :) ( should I hold my breath? )

X Deutschland Site Besuchen