Forums

JOIGNEZ-VOUS À LA COMMUNAUTÉ
INSCRIVEZ-VOUSIdentifiant

Tesla S real life range v 310 claimed P85

Just from general driving please as I have a Norwegian Friend who only manages 220 miles a charge ... he is a little heaver footed though ;)

Your 310 number is NOT correct. The Model S 85kwh has a rated range of 265 miles if fully charged. Your friend getting 220 miles with a heavy foot is totally normal- just with a regular gasoline car, the faster you go, the more energy you will use.

Also cold weather. For what it's worth, my gas cars do the same thing. When I fill up, the projected miles to empty is always much higher than what I get on the odometer. For example, my Honda Accord Hybrid (2007 version) projects 400 miles after filling up, but I never get more than 300.

I have easily achieved rated range by driving 64-65mph, and getting 220 is driving about 72mph on the interstate. If I drive 80mph, I get about 200mi range.

Where did you ever get the idea the range was 310mi? Even the "up to 300mi" range is the ideal range, assuming you drive 55mph on level ground with no HVAC.

Typical overly optimistic ICE fuel gauge. My Altima hybrid projects a 600 miles range on a full tank. I'll be lucky to get 380 on a full tank in this weather.

When Maxrange charging, I sometimes get 310 ideal miles range. Achieving this range is very doable on secondary roads.

Perhaps 310 is kilometers? I know he states 220 miles later.

265 miles = 426 kilometers.
220 miles = 354 kilometers.

Still not sure what the "310" number is.

In ICE cars we always think in MPG vs total tank range. The car going from 265 to 220 is a 17% drop in range...not too terribly different than a car getting a rated 35MPG but realizing a 29MPG under "normal" driving...75-80. I never got over 38 in my Jetta Diesel that a lot of hypermilers get 45-50MPG.

Thanks for the comments ... some helpful, jat @ jaet.org & July10Models

www teslamotors.com / en_GB / models / design

65 kWh = 240 mile range
85 kWh = 310 mile range

So that's where i get the numbers Carefree & TeslaTap

So my 310 mile number is ... correct according to Tesla (driving at 55 mph with the wind behind you on a nice sunny day with no AC)

and yes owning an RS6 and having owned an Jaguar XKR & a TVR i can appreciate reduction in mpg when driving at higher speeds TVM

And we have a golf 2.0 TDI which generally returns around 35mpg but will get 50 mpg on the motorway

So if you are a Tesla owner comments would be appreciated :)

And yes have one on order delivery some time in June 2014

@herefourtheride - I don't know what "NEDC" is, but I presume it is some standards organization for specifying how to measure fuel economy, like EPA in the US. Regardless, even if their idea of how to drive the car results in a 310mi range, it is unlikely you will achieve that unless you drive slowly on flat roads.

http://www.teslamotors.com/en_GB/models/facts shows the 300/230 ideal miles as used in the US. In the US, "rated miles" are used to match what the EPA achieved in testing, and it is quite easy to achieve rated range when you want to, so I think the EPA estimates are more accurate.

For an ICE, the engine wastes a lot of energy without doing real work, so driving faster gets some benefit of spending less time wasting energy. An EV is more efficient, so you don't lose as much efficiency in stop and go traffic, and drag is a higher percentage of overall energy use at highway speeds. Thus, the shape of the energy usage curve is much steeper at higher speeds.

Using max range charge, 240 miles is about the max on flat ground at 55 mph with minimal stops in our area. That drops to 190 miles range near freezing temps.

@PD - wow, not sure what is different, as I can easily get rated range at 64-65mph running HVAC and moderate elevation change.

I am generally a heavy foot driver however when I really needed the car to go the distance, averaging 56 mph got me close to 300 miles. This was a few weeks into ownership before the superchargers. Now on my travels to DC from NY the only vehicles passing me have flashing lights on top.

@pd,

I've gotten 240 miles in a 60. Not sure why you'd make such a bogus claim. Again.

My 60 says 204 when fully charged. Is that correct/expected?
What will the 85 show with a full charge?

herefour,
If that is one of the TTV8 RS6s, try to take the stereo with you. That car had the single best stereo I have ever had in a car :)

Near freezing if I pre-heated the car I get 150-180 miles on my 60kWh battery at 55-65mph, fairly level.
In summer I was getting 200-230 miles at 55-65mph fairly level. That's a fully charged 60kWh battery.
It just shows the difference in driving habits I guess.

When I say fairly level I mean the start location charge point and the destination charge point are at the same elevation. The hills in between really don't take much from my range.

The best way to get the battery preheated at the moment, that I know of, is to charge it an before leaving. I keep hoping for an APP upgrade that will let me specifically get the battery up to temp in addition to the cabin temp.

SamoSam I don't think PD is making a bogus claim. It is really all down to tires, HVAC use and driving habits. I was getting some pretty high watt/miles when I first got my car. I never was an ICE hyper miler so I never understood how to conserve.

Now I know to anticipate my stops and slow down using as little regen as possible (coasting) and never use the brakes unless it is necessary (when I need lots of range). PD probably just drives his baby like he would drive any other car (remember the whole no compromise Elon claim) and there is nothing wrong with that. It's good to hear all results.

@Sudre_

I appreciate the granularity you used to describe the distances you are able to get in various conditions. Mirrors my own experiences, especially when driving with the flow of traffic on the California freeways.

@gregguy

Change over to "Ideal" range in the Controls submenu and then charge your car to full while you can monitor its reaching a complete/full charge. That will give you the best idea of the state of your battery.

Speaking of range... I appreciate the above discussion thread and was wondering if there was an "ideal" setting to minimize battery degradation. I have a P85 and have it set to recharge to 210 miles. All the delivery guy said was to keep it less than max charge.

Yes, but it's a secret, and will only give 5 mi more range after 10 years.

yea, we have P85 and 310 miles (500km) is doable on secondary (official max speed is 90km/h) roads without AC and when driven conservatively...

thank you all for your contribution. The longest journey I will have to make is about 214miles and there are quite a few charge points on the motorway so should be ok ;)

The 300 mile range is at 55 mph. As with a gas car, the faster you go, the more hills there are, etc, the less range you have. Here in hilly Washington State, I will get about 200 miles from a full charge at full freeway speeds (70-80 mph) streaming Slacker radio in the winter using the heat.

I did 185 miles going to San Diego on the I5 freeway over the weekend coming off a full range charge of 263 miles. I had 70 rated miles left when I got home.

I beleive I could have achieved somewhere around 230-240 actual miles traveled under the circumstances (flat ground, 70F, 70-75mph).

P85 - 6 months old - 4000 miles

X Deutschland Site Besuchen