Forums

JOIGNEZ-VOUS À LA COMMUNAUTÉ
INSCRIVEZ-VOUSIdentifiant

Model S Assault on Mt. Evans (Colorado) is set for June 8, 2013

Located in the front range West of Denver, Mt. Evans Scenic Byway is the highest paved road in North America begging to be assaulted by Tesla’s Model S owners. With the introduction of this awesome vehicle, I am organizing a Model S Road Rally for Saturday June 8, 2013 from Idaho Springs, CO (35 miles west of Denver) to the summit of Mt. Evans and back. The views along the highway are breathtaking, as is the elevation, which summits 14,256 feet above sea level. The spring flowers should be in bloom, as will be an abundance of wildlife, such as Mountain Goats and Bighorn Sheep.

We need to meet up around 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, June 8th, at the Clear Creek County Middle School parking lot toward the west end of Idaho Springs. This location is South of I-70 at Exit 240. Take the exit; turn South on Highway 103 toward Mt. Evans, and the Middle School driveway is a few hundred feet ahead on the right-hand side immediately past the Ranger Station and Visitor’s Center.

Please RSVP to Dennis Driscoll at dennis@wispertel.net (I just need to give the Park Service an estimate of the number of cars to anticipate)

Here is a flyer about the event with some pretty awesome photos, too.

http://www.esion.com/Files/Mt_Evans_Road_Rally.pdf

See you in June, Dennis

^When is your estimated delivery? I am keeping hope alive you can make it, but if not come along and hitch-hike to the summit. No drooling allowed.

@Velo1

What is the charging situation like at Denver-area hotels? Is there a list anywhere of local hotels that have charging facilities?

Liz G
Are flying in to bum a ride or are you driving your s out from St. Louis ? I heard of someone who picked up his s at the denver service center, then drove home to KC using RV parks to charge

@bcimae - Liz G is driving her Model S from St. Louis area.

I will check out charging availability at local/Denver area hotels, but haven't had time yet. It is one of those things that when you live somewhere you never know anything about what travelers need to know. Good example is my brother flew out from SC to go skiing and he asked me where at DIA does he need to go to rent a car? I don't know, I never need to rent a car when flying into DIA - I live here.

In any event, I hope to have some info soon on where folks can fill up with electrons, if needed.

@DouglasR - thanks for testing out the "route energy planner" beta. It estimates 20.1 kWh up and -4.3 kWh down (60F outside, no wind)...so even the 40 kWh should be fine for this road trip! Wish I could join.

Route Planner links (detailed view shows energy to climb, for HVAC):

UP: http://evtripper.com/planner/table.php?start=%20Idaho%20Springs%2C%20CO&...

DOWN: http://evtripper.com/planner/table.php?start=Mt.%20Evans%20Scenic%20Bywa...

Play with your own routes at http://EVTripPlanner.com/planner - and please let me know how close it was to your actuals!

@bcimae Yep, I am driving all the way across Missouri and Kansas.

Will be quite an adventure. I've already started scoping out KOA's and looking for other charging options.

^I have never used a Level 2 charger, but seems like most Walgreens have at least one set up for EVs, at least the ones I see on Recargo.com for the Denver area.

@ Brian H:

"Oh, man, would I love to be a passenger on that ride! Unfortunately, CO is a bit beyond my radius. ;("

I believe you're in Ontario? Let me see how many sick days I have! ;-)

@Liz G

In looking for charging sites try this link:
http://www.rvparkreviews.com/
It is a web site of RV park reviews by campers. It shows if the park has electric and if it is 50 amp, some older parks have only 30. Some are National Park, state parks or city operations with no electric.

There are many RV parks along I-70. I would definitely call ahead to see if they are receptive to EV charging.

Have a great trip.

Jewsh;
No, BC. The Wet Coast.

Liz - the two in Golden, Dakota Ridge RV and Clear Creek RV, are no more than 20-25 miles from the start area for the Mt. Evan Road Rally. I will check a few others closer to Idaho Springs, as well as Evergreen; and then post back some time.

Also, my house and another S owner close by, both in Evergreen (15 miles to the start), would be good back-up "stations", too. We're both 5 minutes off I-70.

Anyone interested in where they can get a charge (other than just doing the rally), there is Cottonwood RV Park just south (~5 miles) from the start area in Idaho Springs along Hwy 103, which is the route we are taking.

They have 20 RV campsites with 30-50 Amp chargers. I just called them at 303-567-2617 and they said the charging is for a fee (based on time), and at the time in early June scheduled for the road rally they doubt it would be necessary to call ahead to reserve a spot, but it never hurts.

I can add Chief Hosa RV campground at Exit 253 off I-70 just east of the Evergreen exit, and about 15 miles from our start area. They have 50 amp outlets available, but I don't know how many. See www.chiefhosa.org

So I'm tryong to decide if I can make it the 220 miles between Topeka KS and Hays KS or if I'll need to charge in Salina KS. Thinking about trying to go 55 mph and tyhen depending on my remaining range at Salina determining if I need to charge up. Only problem is I don't know how busy RV parks get. Could I need a charge and end up not being able to find a park that had a vacancy?

Can't wait until we have SC's coast to coast.

@Liz G

The link a gave above for RV Park Reviews shows 2 RV parks both with 50 amp at Russell KS, 30 miles east of Hays.

Go for Hays, at Russell decide if you can make the last 30 or need to stop and top off.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Kansas/Russell.html

@Liz G

If you need a charge when you get close to Denver, I might have a great choice for you. I am setting up a public charging station on my property in Deer Trail Colorado. There is only one exit in Deer trail (328) and it is 50 miles east of denver. My property is only a few hundred yards off the exit. I currently have a 30 amp circuit (10-30) for my Volt. Now that I have my Tesla Model S , I will add a 50 amp (14-50). I will post this "public" charger on plugshare ect. You will be able to get off the highway and be charging in only a couple of min. anytime 24 hours. There are a couple of stores within easy walking distance. It could be a good break to get a quik charge.

@skymaster
Thank you very much for the offer. Can you PM me on Teslamotorclub.com your conavt info in case I need to take you up on your offer.

If you are looking for a hotel with a charging station, the Element hotel in Lone Tree has one. Of course, the Element is only 2 minutes from free charging at the Tesla store at Park Meadows. Just call them first so they can set up their adapter (it's a Roadster charging station).

Velo 1 count me in for the assault on Mt. Evans. I just talked to the service center in Denver and they estimated there are about 150 of us roaming around town. I have seen four besides mine. Hopefully we get a great turnout for this trip. Thanks for organizing it.. I'm getting my 21's put back on the week after next and I can't wait. I'm looking forward to the road trip. For those asking about chargers I know there is a working charger at the Walgreens in Evergreen. It is located at 3510 Evergreen Parkway. I had to use it to cure a severe case of range anxiety resulting from a complete under estimation of 110 charging time returning from the mountains.

Anyone want a passenger for this? :) I hope to get a reservation in within the next year, sadly not before this event.

@wbrumfiel
would love a passenger, just show up at the start.

@ Liz G or any other out of towners
the element hotel near Park Meadows is a 110 volt. I would suggest Hyatt Place Denver South. It is 3 blocks from Park Meadows parking lot. Tesla park Meadows has 2 roadster (70amp) chargers with S adaptors ( free to Tesla owners).

@Amos'Tesla - please email me your RSVP so I can add you to any email updates. dennis@wispertel.net

FYI - we are up to 15 RSVPs and many more have expressed interest, pending delivery before the event.

Yes, we would fully welcome any reservation holders without their S delivered in time to join us for the ride. Certainly some folks will welcome hitchhikers, provided you don't drool on the leather or wood - or anywhere else in the car!

I'm supposed to have my car between 3/30 and 4/13, so I'm in.

I am in, if my car arrives in time. Completed MVPA on 3/19/2013, says delivery time April/May so its possible I will have the car by then. Hope so, sounds like a lot of fun! Hope it works out.

As of March 24th I have 21 RSVPs with a few other pending delivery in time for the event.

Lookin good....

Velo1, have you thought about notifying media of the event so you might get some coverage. A nice write up in the Denver paper or some air time on the local news. It would be great publicity for TM.

If someone is going solo, they could give a reporter a ride along.

Still thinking about it, Velo. It's a long drive in any car, but we do have a friend we want to visit in Teluride, so we're considering it. Sounds like great fun.

Fully committed now. Have booked my hubby's flight out. He cant get the time off to drive with me.

Booked one of the campgrounds on the way. And lined up mid day charging stops.

Havimg problems finding a hotel with/near a charger in Denver/Idaho Springs area that allows dogs. Bringing my corgi along to keep me company. Any Denver folks have any suggestions?

Liz,

Look for Walgreens near your hotel, almost all of them have a free charger. Also the Tesla store in Lone Tree has free 70 charger. Just call and they will have it ready for you.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen