Forums

JOIGNEZ-VOUS À LA COMMUNAUTÉ
INSCRIVEZ-VOUSIdentifiant

Fair Price for 14-50 Outlet Install?

Lots of folks here seem to have some experience getting the 14-50 outlets installed in their garages, so I wanted to get some opinions on this. Is $621 (plus permit) a fair price to run a 25 foot conduit from the subpanel and install the 14-50 outlet? Is it close enough to fair given that our electric utility rebates half the cost upon delivery of the Model S (incidentally, the guys at Ausitn Energy test drove the Model S at the Get Amped event here and LOVED it)? Thanks!

I have a (perhaps) stupid and a bit unrelated question: Can they install the NEMA 14-50 outlet for the car outside on an exterior wall exposed to the elements? Anything extra to consider if i do that?

I believe that can be done. I plan on having that done at my father's home but it will need a simple flip cover of some sort to keep the elements out. If nothing else, it would be easy to be home-made.

Blew the image link:

Still won't load! >:(

I just got mine installed by Kapital Electric. They said they charged about $15 a foot plus materials (like outlet and breaker) I have about 40 ft run and it cost $700. I also had 1.5 inch conduit ($50 extra) so they can run a second line through it if I want another outlet. BTW, the installer had the wrong outlet when he came and had to go find an electrical supply shop to get the right one.

Cleaned up a stall in the garage for the S. Now I'm all dressed up with no place to go. Haven't heard back on the paperwork yet.

May I ask a related question.
I am planning a NEMA 14-50 outlet to be in the garage; but the car must stay outside.
Will I be able to charge in all weather conditions?
Thinking, what if it starts to rain and I'm still charging?
Will it be safe to touch the connector if it's wet????

@abby - the car and charger are fine -- if the 14-50 outlet will be exposed to the weather, you need a weather-rated outlet.

Does anyone have Federal Pacific electrical panel??

The electrician who installed mine talked about an all weather installation "like they have at trailer parks". I think that disconnecting at the car is safe in rain. Don't know about the other end.

I paid $600. The circuit breaker panel is in my garage. The cable run was about 20 feet. The conduit was already largely in place, as was the box in which the outlet is mounted (it contained an unused light switch, which I told the electrician to take out).

It seems others have paid less, but I did at least (based on this thread) talk the electrician down from $680.

Outside installation is not a problem. Remember these are the same outlets installed in RV parks/camp grounds.

This is what mine looks like on the side of my front porch.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10217&d=13488...

I can't seem to find any info about what condo owners are paying. My condo building has 110 outlets at some spaces and some 240 outlets in the carwash bay. However, they won't let me charge my Tesla using any of them. They want me to run my own line with a separate meter. I got the quote back yesterday for $6,490. The main electrical box is 190 feet away. I really don't want to pay that much, especially since this is not my forever home. I will probably sell my unit in 1-2 years to start a family in the suburbs. But, not sure what choice I have. I guess I have to fork over the money for the outlet or lose my deposit and Tesla.

pjstreet, is there a place you can charge the car while you are at work? then you wouldn't have to pay to put in your own outlet at home. kind of a workaround solution.

I'm one of the lucky ones. My electrical panel is in the garage. My regular electrician installed the outlet for $200. The breaker box has 15 slots per side, 14 were in use on both legs, but one was only feeding a single socket in the closet on the floor above, which I installed a few years ago when I had to have my floors replaced. Saw a hole during demolition and took the opportunity to run the wire and install a socket in the closet. Never used it so he moved it to a different circuit, opening slot 14 and using available slot 15 for the double breaker and installed the 14-50 about 4" below my panel. It's right next to the driver door which is perfect. Would have done it myself but I've been working my tail off cleaning out the stuff that accumulated in the garage when the floors were replaced over 2 years ago. Probably never would have cleaned up that mess if I didn't have the absolute deadline of my Model S delivery and the absolute need to plug it in at home (very few options in the eastern U.S.). I can finally stop paying for monthly parking 4 blocks away from my house which has a perfectly good garage. I'm not lazy. I'm losing mobility and strength from disk degeneration. Cleaning the garage was like climbing a mountain to me, but I finally reached the summit. Ah, necessity. Sorry, I ramble sometimes. $200...no conduit...local independent electrician...took under an hour. Model S delivered yesterday and charged successfully for the 1st time last night. Eureka.

Approximate parts cost at Home Depot:
NM 6/3 cable - 8 feet @ 3.05/ft = $25
14-50R receptacle $9
box and cover $9
50 amp Square D circuit breaker $9
miscellaneous parts I had already (metal stud covers to protect wire inside drywall, drywall mud, screws, and paint)
So under $60 in parts.

I installed inside garage. About 3 hours work (not continuous and I work slow) to open up drywall, run cable about 4 feet from main breaker box, close up drywall, and repaint. I had spare room on my main 100 amp panel. So even though not everyone will do this themselves, this should give you some idea of cost. I used 6 gauge due to continuous load and at $3 per foot for cable, a long or exposed run would substantially increase the cost, and consideration must be given that electricians are skilled labor and charge as such, but a skilled electrician would probably have done this in an hour (not including drywall repair).

Just a quick update as I'm the original poster! The second electrician who came out quoted $1000+, so I went with the first. It turns out, his estimate of $621 included the permit, etc., so it's actually under $500 for the work. Plus, I get half of it back as a rebate, so really it will cost me $310, and I can get a tax credit for 30% of either the $621 or $310 (not sure which yet!) so the net cost will be probably under $200. Nice.

Mr.Electric estimated $640 plus $257 for permit, then advised if inspector does not like the 30 yr old box, I would have to replace box , $2200 additional.

Live in Toledo, OH. Paind $440 for install including 100ft of wire to run to the control box.

I just got a quote for $725 total. 40 feet of wire and conduit. It is a slightly tricky run from the basement to the garage. They estimated 5 hours of labor and have to put in a tandem 20 amp breaker to make room for the 2 Pole 50 amp breaker.

Based on others, the price seems reasonable.

Cleveland, OH

I will do it myself before 40kWh Model S delivery in May-June. 100' run of 6/3 indoor romex from basement to attic, across house and attached garage attics, down to outlet on garage wall. New 50A breaker, outlet box, and flush mount 14-50 receptacle. $240-250.

I forgot to mention that I consulted an electrician about codes covering specs and installation. I also will apply for the 30% tax credit. The net cost will be about $165-175.

Mine was $525 from a local electrician. Printed off the Tesla page that had the specs and handed it to him and he was off to the races.

To make all you guys feel great, mine was $2000, professional electricians, 100 ft, under the house, drill through concrete, 1" conduit up, across, down garage....

There is more than one way to do it, especially for long runs. A 100' run of #6 wire at 40A will lose 125 Watts into heating the wire. Running #2 wire to a sub-panel in the garage with a short run of #6 will only lose 50 Watts into the wiring. Running the larger size was $330 in extra materials. (Total materials cost just over $1000, plus 18 hours labor to get 1-1/4" EMT pipe through the crawl space and walls.) It also gives me flexibility to add anything else I might want to add in the future. Assuming 8 hours a day of charging, the electricity savings will pay for the larger service in 5 years.

Also, to minimize energy wasted into heating the wires, don't charge any faster than you need to get a full charge by morning. 40A charging versus turning down to 20A charging cuts the waste heat by 3/4, or course you need to charge twice as long. For my setup, it is not a big difference, about as much as leaving a 25W light on all night. The people with 100' runs of #6 wire will see a bigger difference.

Similarly, going form 40A to 80A will quadruple the waste heat. 100' of #2 will waste 50W at 40A, but 200W at 80A.

I had two different location installs done. Both were for HPWC preparation but one included NEMA 14-50 and the other NEMA 6-50. This might give you a price range. As you've probably surmised from previous posts, it all depends on the location of your receptacle and panel.

1. $600: Installed new 125A sub-panel (35ft wire run through attic space), rewired NEMA 6-50 and two other locking NEMA plugs. HPWC wiring not installed at this time. 4-hours labor at $65/hr. (HPWC wiring and circuit breaker was install at approximately $100 at a later date)

2. $2700: Installed new 125A sub-panel (105ft wire run under house), extensive drywall work and painting in garage. Wired NEMA 14-50 and wired out separately for HPWC. 22 hours labor at$ 65/hr.

I paid about $400 to a local (Central NY) electrician for a 14-50 plug installed in my garage about three feet from my circuit breaker. Solar City representative would come from about 100 miles away to do the work, but his wife was expecting their first baby and he did not want to be too far away. Understandable.

@450 by SolarCity in bay-area. It was fairly easy job. About 5 feet of conduit from the panel already in my Garage.

Just paid $575 for about 60 feet (copper) snaked through two walls and ceiling; local electrician, no permit, Boston area.

SolarCity quoted me $750 for the simplest job ever!

Anyone recommend an electrician in the bay area? Getting quotes, but they vary wildly.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen