Forums

JOIGNEZ-VOUS À LA COMMUNAUTÉ
INSCRIVEZ-VOUSIdentifiant

New lithium-ion battery design that’s 2,000 times more powerful, recharges 1,000 times faster

Wow , 2000 times 250 miles is 500,000 miles. I don't care if it is rechargeable. Now, can it be brought to market in my lifetime and cost less than an aircraft carrier :)

From the article: "Which brings us neatly onto the University of Illinois’ battery, which has a higher power density than a supercapacitor, and yet comparable energy density to current nickel-zinc and lithium-ion batteries."

So this new battery won't give you more range- it just lets you pull energy out of the battery much more quickly. This would allow you to build a car with a 40 kWh pack that out accelerates a Model S P85.

This is true

Think how nice to charge 1,000 times faster.

The HPWC takes a 100amp circuit so 1,000 times faster would need a 100,000amp circuit. I checked Home Depot that don't have any panels that size. I have not called my local utility to ask the price of running 100,000 amp service to the house.

Maybe we just park out side with a 50 foot antenna in every thunder storm.

From the graph, it looks like the experimental cells have on the order of 1/10 the energy density of current LIon batteries. So you would still be able to go 300 miles on a charge, but instead of 4 inches high, the battery would be 40 inches high. Dang! Won't fit in my garage!

Imagine the size of the "electricity hose" that would have to be attached to the car to get 1000 times the charge speed. I charge at 40 Amps. What can even handle 40,000 Amps?

Which brings me to the question: Isn't the limiting factor currently found in the electric wiring of the average house rather than the battery? I can already charge the car in an hour when I go to a Supercharger.
And - Wow! Does that mean I could get a full charge in 3.6 seconds? Now we're talking! But what will handle a current of 200,000 Amps?

And why are all these breakthroughs always 5 years away? It's like waiting for tomorrow - whenever you think it's here, it becomes today, and tomorrow is another 24 hours away.. :^)

1.21 Gigawatts? Great Scott.

They'd have to rejig the SuperChargers to become SuperDuperChargers.

Each unit would need 000s of chargers, not just 12. It would be as big as a small house. It would charge your car in 3 seconds.

I think the question becomes...

What if your car went 60 miles (at 80mph) then you pulled off at a charge station to charge in 3 seconds then back on the road?

I think it would be a hassle but that's just me.

It would also be one heck of an expense on charge stations.

It would also be one heck of a boom if there was a failure during the charge.

Not sure where you all got the numbers. I don't think this is simple multiplication. This still could translate to a smaller more powerful battery pack. 40 inch battery? where are you getting that from! nothing says the charge takes 1000x the amps.

"Each unit would need 000s of chargers, not just 12. It would be as big as a small house. It would charge your car in 3 seconds."

Or just use one of these high power batteries in place of the supercharger and have it dump as much current as needed into the battery pack in your car. Then charge the stationary battery from the grid in between cars and at night.

If you use the same amps, you get the same charge. Simples.

+1 on the 1.21 GW back to the future reference

It will vaporize the copper wire feeding the car at that current. Maybe when we have superconductors?

@Reli,

hehe. I could not resist.

Super hi-power induction mats?

In 5 years, I bet it will only be 10 years away! Sort of like fusion.

From my experience in racing RC cars, I can tell you what I have seen from the 90's to now has been huge! Packs have kept the same form factor and price, but now they have gone from 7.2V and 1200mAh to 11.1V and 5000mAh. Not only that, but also the motor technology and speed control units have made them insanely fast!
Even look at the roadster to the Model S... from 235HP and 240 miles, to 420 HP and 300 miles (with a much larger car).
There are always wonderous thing on the fringe of technology, but once it becomes mainstream and cost effective, it will be ours in time.
Can't wait to see what's in the Model S accessories page in 10 years!
Drop in replacement 600 HP motor? 500 mile pack?

Not sure I would want to stand near anything transferring 200,000 amps.
Although it would be a very quick way to die.

I race RC electric cars too and I second CnJs comment.
The same E-Maxx that was beating all T-Maxxes (the gas ones), is now re-geared for speed runs at 100mph. Same motor different batteries.

There will be a 160KWh pack for Model S in 5 years and the car will only weigh 3,900 Lb

Now if I only could find a Model S body for my E-Maxx...

Man, your neighbors are goign to hate you when you plug your car in. I'm just guessing, but I'd say the charging cable would need to be about the size of my thigh. larger than a fire hose. Quite a feat to plug.

That's ,

1.21 Jigwatts! Great Scott!

Hence the flux capacitor and Mr. Fusion....

Anyone can handle Gigawatts, probably even a leaf! :)

Oops

Jigawatts!,

Yeah again,
I told one of my tesla contacts to get a hold of HPI or something and tell them to license an electric chassis kit with lipo and brushless driveline and 200mm Model S body! That would make it the most realistic RC kit out there! Seems the new thing is having realistic RC cars. I'm sure HPI would be game...

No, I fear a Leaf would combust and blow away if exposed to Gigawatts. That's small city-sized power.

This article may give a hint about what TM is planning with respect to battery technology:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1359601-tesla-patent-applications-reveal...

I was just reading a Science from Jan 4 (yes, I am behind in my reading) and came across an article about a Lithium Sulfur cell. These things are always touted as the next great thing and then you never hear about it again.

Still it was interesting because they reported a "capacity of about 800 to 1000 milliamp-hours per gram, roughly six times that of the current devices on the market. And Cui said his team charged and discharged the battery more than 1000 times with negligible drop off in performance."

The technology involved sulfur nanoparticles encapsulated inside a shell of TiO2 (avoids the polysulfide poisoning of other Li-S cells and provides conductivity. )

The previous commentator with 1/10 power (& with 40 inches), please get your Facts straight:

"Researchers claim their technology could shrink the size of batteries by 10 times while offering the same power"
And:

"batteries could enable sensors or radio signals that broadcast 30 times farther, or devices 30 times smaller."

Says that the tehnology is miniature, so much mush smaller but has the same power capability.

I read on a follow up article on advancing on this technology that they corrently (end of 2013 and beginning of 2014) are trying to make it so that it could be easily mass produced.
But not anytime in the nare future it could be used on Electric Cars, because of the owerheating problem if stacked in mass, like it's in electric cars now...

The recharge is at maximum 1000 times faster but it would be limited re/charge capabilities as most batteries today allready are.

The only thing that would make the cars go furder is to use
not the simultaneous discharge with more or biger battery,
but with separate battery sections of with decharge successively.

So the range can be upgraded, but mostly the size and charge time will be much much better..

Charge, i estemate, could not get under a minute cos all the problems.
But even to recharge in aboat 5 minutes and get a 0% to 100% recharge with 85kWh battery is a Supper deal in my mind.

The future is jung, there are some new promising results in graphene battery research too.
:)

Many nice and insightful posts, thanks :)
And that was too one of my first thoughts when i wread the comment of the 50 foot antenna with thunder storm xD

Let's hope for the best (and fast & of course the best innovations from Tesla, like Nikola ;) )

X Deutschland Site Besuchen