Forums

JOIGNEZ-VOUS À LA COMMUNAUTÉ
INSCRIVEZ-VOUSIdentifiant

Tesla Roadster to beat Bugatti 0-60mph?

Hi there,
Just had an idea that would get all the petrol heads looking at electric cars for good. Tesla should build a one off Roadster with revised bodywork and a more powerful motor that would out accelerate a Bugatti Veyron (or whatever is the fastest production petrol car out there these days).
Does anyone know if this is possible? I am just talking about 0-60mph, not top speed. Everybody knows its accelleration that gives the real thrill...nobody actually drives around at 200mph in the real world!

Tesla could continually make upgrades to the car (as batteries/motors get more powerful and lighter) and challenge the gas guzzlers to create a production car that can beat it.
Would be a pretty cool way to generate interest in electric cars and destroy the illusion that EV's lack performance.

Just a thought Tesla!

Cheers,
Ted

Two quick thoughts about this interesting challenge:
1. The Bugatti Veyron is a production car, not a one-of prototype. I would prefer an apples to apples comparison of production ready cars.
2. The Bugatti does 0-60mph in 2.5 seconds. Good luck Tesla.

Greetz,
Arie

It's possible, and not even too hard to accomplish.

There is "White Zombie" electric car used in drag-racing that is street-legal and can do 0-60 in about 1.8 seconds. It has approx 100 mile range combined (90 city - 110 highway) and top speed of 129 mph. http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/whitezombie.php

I don't think its beyond Tesla to build a car that beats that. Much trickier would be to build a car that beats Veyron in 0-120 mph.

I b'lieve the Veyron runs about $1 million. Some production car!

Yes, there are prototypes and concepts of electric cars in sub 3 second range but none in production. The Wrightspeed X-1 does 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. It has one motor, but it lacks AWD. Another car is the new Rimac concept one with 1088hp and every wheel driven by one motor - still 2.8 sec "only". Planned production of 25. I can't imagine what you have to do to get below 2.5 sec and have something worth being called 'a car'.

This is why I can't understand why the ultra high end aren't going fully electric already.
If the white zombie car mentioned above can do 0-60mph in under 2 secs by some guy working out of his garage (with a car that doesn't look very aerodynamically advanced) then how much more would Tesla have to add to it's roadster price to be able to beat the Veyron at a 0-60mph race? $50,000+? $100,000+?

I remember the top gear review when they put the Lotus Elise up against the Tesla. Clarkson was blown away at how the EV accelerated so much faster than the petrol car. He then of course drops the price bomb that "the Tesla will cost you three times as much" (frowny face)
My point with having a special version (call it the Roadster "hyper sport") is that Clarkson could then beat a Veyron and say "wow all this at 1/8 of the price!" (the Veyron sells for $1.7million!)
Hell Tesla could even make it a "production" car and sell it to the uber wealthy (the Veyron and Ferrari crowd) in order to generate some more revenue. All these people care about is who gets away fastest from the traffic light (as very few of them could handle these cars at top speed.)
I think there would be tremendous value in Tesla being able to wear the crown of fastest production car in the 0-60 mph category. Perhaps even 0-100mph?
Only problem might be how much juice would be left in the battery after a sub 2 sec 0-60mph run? Anybody know how many runs the white zombie car can do on a full charge?

Cheers!

Only problem might be how much juice would be left in the battery after a sub 2 sec 0-60mph run? Anybody know how many runs the white zombie car can do on a full charge?

If you use 850kW with 90% efficiency for two seconds it is (850kW/0.9)*(2/3600) = 0.52kWh, so quite a few with 22.7kWh battery.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen