Forum

Unisciti allacomunità
REGISTRAZIONEAccedi

110v charging challenges?

Since we live in a condo complex that cannot handle the charger issue, I charge at my brother's a few miles away with no problem. I thought it would be no problem charging at 3 or 4 miles per hour at home in the garage, but after a week it dropped to ONE mile per hour charging, and during the night it must stop because I'm not getting even that much total. It is connected to an extension cord - could it be the quality of the extension cord, or possibly the total electricity in our 10-unit place makes our draw that much less? Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.

Likely the extension cord. Length and gauge are critical. See thread below for details.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/16286-100-110v-extension-c...

mdemetri has got it right. if you are running an extension cord of any length, you need some serious thickness to run a constant amperage to push that juice. that's why tesla even says not to use an extension cord when charging. don't forget as well that you've got the vampire drain on the battery....so if you are only pulling 1 mile an hour, its barely charging more than the natural drain

110/120v charging depends on number of other receptacles on same curcuit being use/unused as well as to lesser degree guage size of extension cord and length of it. I have tested with 12/3 (heavy duty), 14/3 (Medium duty), and 16/3 guage 25ft extension cords on a recepticle that has numerous other recepticles on same circuit like 3 garage door openers, etc. Each time, the voltage drops from 120v before plugin to 108v for 12g, 106/7 for 14g, and 105 for 16g cords. The amps always remain at 12. I have not tested with plugin the UMC directly into the recepticle; however, it is recommeded to be used w/o extension cord and no other recepticles are present in same circuit. I also tested with 100ft extention cord (14g) and the car would not charge at all.

Your condo must have washer-dryer hookup somewhere near the garage. You can run a low gauge 240V extension cord to the car and get better results. Hopefully your configuration supports this.

Another option, that some Leafs with their 120v mobile charger modified to run on 240v use, is to make up an adapter that you can plug into two different 120v outlets. If you can find two that are not the same phase you can deliver 240v and up to 16 amps to the UMC. Of course you need to make the adapter compatible with one of the MS supplied adapters AND it would be wise to verify which legs are hot before you attempt this otherwise you may see a brilliant blue flash as you connect.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen