Forum

Unisciti allacomunità
REGISTRAZIONEAccedi

BMW i3 already at 8,000 orders before even hits showroom...

Green revolution is picking up steam...good stuff

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-14/bmw-mulls-boosting-electric-car...

I have seen the car inside and out. Altough I do not like small cars at all, this is a masterpiece. The space inside, back seat, trunk, excellent engineering. The design and materials used are really innovative. This is interesting as we would need real competition for S, to bring the cathegory up and push also Tesla for new hights. If they really would come out with i5, we have hope for serious boost in competition. Fuelcell range extender would be the technology step forward.

7999... I did cancel mine... ;-)

Looks like solid competition for the Model E.

-Dane

When is the Model E available?

The i3 is so ugly.

@SMinnihan
Model E is probably coming out in 2018 based on what Elon Musk has said a few months ago. He is likely to give a more up to date prediction in November after the Q3 earnings are released.

I still cannot believe it. A huge company like BMW is not interested/cannot make a better range EV? Unfathomable.
Thank you Tesla.

I expect more from model E. This may be a good competition to Volt.

But numbers are promising. It is much harder to say there is no demand for electric cars.

http://insideevs.com/global-nissan-leaf-sales-hit-record-levels-in-septe...

Leaf sales will hit 100,000 by January including 5K in September 2013 worldwide. BMW i3 has 8,0000 orders before it launches. Electric car demand is there!

Think Tesla needs to introduce an affordable EV sooner than 5 years from now or it will miss the boat.

This is just a speculation, but do Nissan and BMW design ugly cars by purpose, so they don't sell too many? Because they can't get hold of enough batteries for a mass production?

"Think Tesla needs to introduce an affordable EV sooner than 5 years from now or it will miss the boat." Missed the Leaf, Volt or i3 boat? I don't think that's a problem for Tesla.

That said the more EV acceptance out there, no matter by which company, the better for the future of Tesla. Elon Musk's goal was always to push EV to become mainstream transportation. He was never interested to have a small pie all to himself.

CArlk - Seems Nissan is doing a better pushing EV as mainstream transportation as ~100K Nissan Leafs on road vs ~20K Teslas. Gap widening every day. In anycase, more EV's the better.

The concept with the glass doors looked kinda cool, but obviously NOT chance of getting those into production. Without that, it looks like it should have hip-hop hamsters in it.

edcalis@mac.com | 14 OTTOBRE 2013 NUOVO
I still cannot believe it. A huge company like BMW is not interested/cannot make a better range EV? Unfathomable.
Thank you Tesla.

Almost 300 km range with only 9 litres of gas as a range extender is pretty damn good for a $45k daily driver.
Charges nice and fast too. As fast as 30 minutes. I think BMW is hitting this one out of the park. Especially if you can refuel those 9 litres to recharge and eliminate range anxiety! I'm not yet sure if that is the capability but if it is, we can expect more automakers jumping onboard.
Lookout Tesla . The stampede is coming.

A lot of those BMW I3 reservations are customers that really wanted a Tesla Model S, but they couldn't afford it. And the Leaf is too down market for them also.

Those BMW orders would likely get a Model E (Gen III) if it was out already. I would go so far as to say that Tesla's success inspired most of those BMW I3 orders because they couldn't wait till 2016 for Model E.

I have a hard believing that 8K number (unless that includes Europe).

BMW i3 Rivals Tesla Model S....

Tesla window may be very small...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9_JeEPRK94
BMW's New Electric Car to Rival Tesla Model S | BMW Electric Car

I wonder where all of those Leafs are? I've seen three Model S cars here in Phoenix, have yet to see my first Leaf.

@SMinnihan Don't forget Nissan arrived that number because they have been selling Leaf since 2010. If you read this forum you will see many Leaf owner or potential Leaf owner ended up buying an MS even it's a twice as expensive car. That's why I say it's actually better for main stream auto companies to sell more EV and call attention to their customers. It is not a zero sum game.

Strictly speaking Tesla is still the only company that is making legitimate electrical vehicle where a full charge can go the distance as conventional ICE cars. It will likely be this way for a while because of Tesla's lead in battery technology. Nissan's battery cost per kWh is said to be twice as much as Tesla and BMW's is even more. That's why those companies could only make small EV with limited range and Toyota and MB have to buy battery packs from Tesla.

@JamesM What you said could be true. The other side of this is many of those people may never had an interest in EV until they heard what BMW is doing. There is a chance when they start to investigate EVs and found MS is a much better car, there is certainly no argument of that, and ended up buying the MS instead. All the publicity of EV, no matter from which company, can only benefit Tesla. That's what Elon has always been saying.

I like BMW ... I owned one for 10 years before I bought my Model S ... but that is one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen. Very disappointed.

The electrical part of the the i3 look great. Decent range(even without the extender), good rate of charging, attractive interior. What happened to the body design style. Back to the drawing board.
The next car I'm waiting to see is the B class Mercedes electric.
Lith I M

"I have a hard believing that 8K number (unless that includes Europe)."

Nowhere I found indication of some specific market, so for sure it is global number.

The BMW reservation list doesn't require a $5,000 or $40,000 deposit, so I doubt the list is as solid as a Tesla reservation list.

"~100K Nissan Leafs on road vs ~20K Teslas. Gap widening every day".

This is not apples to apples comparison. Nissan is at a different price point and by definition the size of its market is much bigger.

Tesla is making money on each car it sells. Nissan likely looses money on each Leaf.

Nissan sells globally since 2010 and before recent substantial drop in price its US sales were struggling.

Tesla sells since January 2013 in the US and only a month or two in Europe. And that's it.

Their month on month sales in the US are comparable. Nissan doesn't have too much of inventory at dealers', whereas Tesla has months of waiting list. In Europe the waiting time is much bigger.

Sweet Jesus! I just saw my first picture of the I3! That thing makes the Leaf look attractive and the Volt look like a work of art!

It's not supposed to look like the Model S. It's an urban commuter. Regardless of what those here think, reviews at the unveiling were almost all positive.

@SMinnihan Think Tesla needs to introduce an affordable EV sooner than 5 years from now or it will miss the boat.

What boat? Nobody besides Tesla has made anything close to a reasonably-ranged pure EV yet at any price, and I don't see it happening between now and Gen3.

All the major manufacturers know how to do is baby steps, apparently. They have lost the ability to think in terms of game-changing technology. That's why all big companies eventually go under.

"It's an urban commuter".

And so is Smart from Mercedes. Isn't it? But neither is a competitor to Model S.

"Regardless of what those here think, reviews at the unveiling were almost all positive".

And I am glad they are doing it. It's all good. However if it is meant to regain from Tesla the market share of US luxury cars Tesla took earlier from BMW I don't think it can. Let's see if it can at least preserve the market share of luxury cars elsewhere including Germany from Tesla Model S making inroads.

As an Urban commuter however sure! Why not?

I believe that is ONLY the reservations in EUROPE. I cannot see where/how one can make a reservation YET for the i3 anywhere other than Europe.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen