Forum

Unisciti allacomunità
REGISTRAZIONEAccedi

NEMA 14-50 Plug Orientation

I am having a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage in a few hours and notice that the picture on the charging page of the Tesla website shows the NEMA plug with the ground socket "on top". Since I don't have such a plug in my house currently, I don't know if this is the norm or not. I do know that this is opposite of a standard 120V plug.
Why do I care? Because I want the charging cable to hang correctly when plugged in (hanging down vs pointing up).

Can someone who's had theirs installed take a look and clue me in? Thanks in advance.

@ChasF
It's exactly like it shows, ground on top.

On the 14-50 outlet the ground is on top. Look at your cable which also has the ground on top. This way your cable will be hanging down toward the floor.

Thanks guys. I don't have my car/cable yet, so couldn't check it either.

I wish I had thought of this before my electrician did the install...my outlet is upside down, so the charge cable (which has a 90 degree bend in the plug) points up.

I'm going to see if I can flip the outlet around today.

@eelton - unless the electrician was very frugal with the wiring you should be OK - though if he/she used #6 wire it isn't the easiest to bend in small spaces.

Eelton please don't forget to trip/open the breaker before you do this work.
@chasf the ground pin is suppose to be the top position in a 120 installation also.

I had the cut sheet from Tesla right on the wall where the outlet was to go. The electrician still installed it with the ground down (per normal convention)...must have thought the cut sheet was mistaken. It's annoying, but still works fine.

My electrician told me that they are installed with the ground up so that if a heavy object falls and knocks your plug out (like an extension ladder or something) it will contact the ground contact first and is safer.

@nickjhowe and July10Models--

I was able to turn the outlet around, although it wasn't terribly easy--the wires behaved more like steel rods, especially in my cold garage; the limited space in the enclosure didn't help things. And I did turn off the breaker first!

Mine's upside down also, but I put the cable caddy above the outlet, so it works well. The outlet is 3 feet off the ground, so that helps as well. BTW, my cable caddy is actually a hose caddy that I got from Lowe's for about $2. Keeps everything organized. nice to know not everything you need for the car costs over $500.

I am about to install the connector in my garage. Can someone tell me how long is the charging cable is that is supplied by Tesla.

It is 20 feet, the info is available on the Tesla web site.
There has also been extensive discussion on the forum regarding charging cable length and all sorts of other charging issues, including various outlets, HPWC, etc.
use volerize.com to search.

If you need an extension cord check out Campingworld.com
I purchased a 15ft 50 amp cord and it works great. It costs about $90. I even had them test it at the Tesla service center in Chicago.

@Banfossie - see this thread for measurements for the different parts of the cable. Might affect exactly where you put the outlet.

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/charging-cable-disappearance

@Hills - You had a missing letter in http://volkerize.com/ ...

Turn it 90° and it won't matter ...
;)

As my electrician was finishing up the installation yesterday, I reminded him to make sure the ground socket was oriented up. He pointed out that the text on the connector plate indicated that orientation anyway.

I was in the San Diego store today (UTC mall) and noticed they had their example nema 14-50 plug with the ground on the bottom. I told the female sales assistant there that it had been installed incorrectly and they should turn it around and she looked at me like I was from Mars...

X Deutschland Site Besuchen