Forum

Unisciti allacomunità
REGISTRAZIONEAccedi

NEMA 6-50 Adaptor Available In Tesla Shop

Available for $45... Nice. $21 to ship... Not nice. Tesla, please come up with less expensive shipping options. We don't all need it yesterday!

Thanks for the update.

If you live near a service center just ask them to get it - $0 shipping.

Nick - I live near the San Diego Service Center. I asked them to get me the Tire Repair Kit so I could avoid the $34 shipping and they did just that. They were great. I jumped the gun and ordered the cargo net from the Tesla Shop when they dropped the price to $20, but had to pay $14 for Fedex shipping on something that could have been sent by Priority Mail for less than $6. I just hope for the sake of many Model S owners who don't live within a reasonable drive of a Service Center, that the Tesla Shop will offer lower price delivery methods where speed of delivery is not critical.

I know - what is it with startup companies and next day fedex? They think nothing of sending something fedex overnight to someone in the same city. Hello? UPS ground *is* next day from San Francisco to San Diego. And a heck of a lot cheaper. Get a UPS account, Tesla!!

Now all we need is a nema 10-30 for older clothes dryer plugs...

I saw the NEMA 6-50 adapter and can't tell where I'd find the outlet on the road to use it. What I did find doing a Google search was that this configuration is used in older welders.

How common is this configuration?

OBTW, I ordered the cargo net and Frunk liner from TM and I live 31 miles from the plant in Fremont. I called the two closest service centers and neither had either one of these items in stock so I had to pay $27 for shipping. Outrageous.

NEMA 6-50 is a 3 wire (hot-hot-ground) connecter used on 240V, 50A circuits and is the outlet that is installed if someone is waiting for an HPWC to be installed. It saves having to run the extra neutral wire that a 14-50 requires.

Probably need an electrical engineer/electrician (@Jat!) to say why we are putting 14-50's in instead of 6-50s. Must be a good reason.

@Nickjhowe

6-50 is typically used by arc welders and the 3 wires (hot, hot, neutral) is the same ones used by the HPWC. If you are waiting for a HPWC then you can save 1 wire by using a 6-50 plug.

The 14-50 uses 4 wires (hot, hot, neutral, ground) and is commonly in RV parks. For that reason, it costs more to install but the adapter is handy on road trips.

Whoops, I meant hot, hot, ground for the 6-50.

Thx. Never been to an RV park. That explains it.

I got a 6-50 adapter from my service center for free. Never hurts to ask.

@nickjhowe;
They may be the most numerous and convenient source of power on the road. Peter, who did the cross-country, used them extensively, and as a gonzo EE, built his own Multi-Input EVSE to drain two 14-50s at once. As you might imagine, interest in getting his promised plans is intense. He used KOA sites, mostly. So have many others.

http://electricroadtrips.com/day-3-from-charger-woes-to-charger-boon/

My 6-50 was free as well. I asked my DS prior to delivery. He brought the 6-50, 14-50 and a few others when he arrived with my car the other day.

Interesting; all $45 except the $95 J1772.

I noticed on in the Roadster adapter section of the store for $100 they provide 8 adapters. It states Model S options will be released at a later date. I hope they plan to do something more.

@jayhicks,
I wish! Tesla sells T shirts for $26! That is $100 savings, $800 for the Roadster bundle, not $100.

@nickjhowe - I ran 14-50 because I couldn't get confirmation that I would get a 6-50 adapter with the car, but everything said it came with a 14-50 adapter. My car showed up with only a 14-50 adapter, and I didn't get the 6-50 adapter until last week, but it was free since I have an HPWC on order. So, if I hadn't run a 14-50 outlet I would have had to share my LEAF's J1772 charger or use 120V for a month, which would have been rather unpleasant. It cost me about $100 to run 3 conductors + ground rather than the 2 conductors + ground that would have been required for 6-50, but I figured better safe than sorry.

14-50 is more useful overall, since there are tons of RV parks around to charge at. You might find some body shop that would let you plug into a 6-50 outlet in a pinch, but they have to be less common.

I am in agreement with @shop, we really need a 10-30 adaptor!

Thanks @Jat.

I took a look at the roadster collection of charging adapters, and missing is a TT-30, the 120v 30a plug used in older RV parks. I would think that would be a useful adapter to have for the model S.

To the extent 120V is ever useful ...

@BrianH - +1, even at 30A (using 24A) that is only twice as fast as a regular 120V outlet and 3.5 times slower than a 14-50 -- really only useful in dire emergencies or just topping off.

Depends on your use case. If you are parked overnight or all day at an RV site, then 30a 120v will do nicely.

I for one would add a 30A 120V adapter to my arsenal. All RV parks have 30A not everybody has 50A 240V service. Just one more opportunity to charge:-)

@shop - even after 24 hours, you can't even get a full standard charge (only about 190 rated miles). Sure, some charge is better than nothing, but I think that hardly counts as practical.

Jat - you are right but it is STILL better than a regular 20A outlet - so given the choice I'd plug into a 30A outlet any day:-)

@Carefree - sure, but I think if you have to rely on it you have already failed. I would never start on a trip planning to use one, so it would only be in case of emergencies, like the place I planned to charge wasn't available for some reason and the only way to make it home was to sit there for 8 hours.

It seems highly unlikely that one of these would be available, but no L2 J1772 charger (30A@240V or better) would be available, as those are quite widespread (every Nissan dealer for one, plus Blink/Chargepoint networks, Plugshare, etc) and charge at least twice as fast.

@Jat - in everyday cases you are correct but there are many remote, off-the beaten-path places where charging at an RV place is the only option. My wife and I go camping regularly and we typically go hiking or do outdoor stuff (photography). The car might not be moved for two days in those situations because we are on the trail - why not use that opportunity to charge the car? Again, this would not be for regular charging to replace 240V.

Jeez what is so hard about thinking that 30a 120v is useful? I go to a horse show every year and will park there for 10 hours a day for three days. That's at least 80 miles of charge a day. If I can get any kind of overnight charging at my hotel, then I'll never have to visit a public charger. That's useful.

Ya, I wasn't really trying to imply 120V was always useless, but that its use had some severe constraints that have to be realistically understood. The Model S is NOT a 120V appliance, and doesn't really enjoy being made to simulate one!

X Deutschland Site Besuchen