Forum

Unisciti allacomunità
REGISTRAZIONEAccedi

Installation of 220V, 50 amp service at home

Is there a spec sheet or other information available to give to the electrician who will be doing the installation. TIA
Hock1

After I paid the deposit and finalized the order, the manager from the local store (UTC - San Diego) emailed me a few PDF's with instructions for the electrician. Not too detailed but I figure that any electrician will know what to do from these details.

DETAILS
- Single phase, 208-250 volt AC supply, 60 hertz
- 50 amp circuit breaker / 40 amp continuous draw
- No GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) required g Service disconnect not required
- The connector is 20 feet long. Install your new outlet less than 18 feet from the driver side taillight, at least 18 inches above the ground.
- Do NOT use an extension cord

CONNECTOR DETAILS

- The connector is 25 feet long. Install your new connector less than 22 feet from the driver side taillight.
- Total weight (including bracket and cable): 20 lbs g Approved for indoor or outdoor use

CIRCUIT OPTIONS

- Single phase, 208-250 volt AC supply, 60 hertz
- For cars configured with on-board Twin Chargers:
60-100 amp circuit breaker
- For cars configured with on-board Single Charger: 50 amp circuit breaker

Early,

Really good info. Would say that it lists the connecter as 25 feet, 20 feet, and states to place within 18 feet of the drivers side tail light. I would consider 18 feet as the absolute max. Perhaps a better thing to tell the electrician is more like 10 to 15 feet from the taillight.

@hock1 - any experience electrician would know how to install a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. If the electrician needs a spec sheet then he is not qualified to perform the installation for you.

Just make sure the 14-50 box is positioned so the ground lead is pointed upward (normal orientation is downward for most outlets). The round peg points to the top and the three rectangular pegs points to the bottom.

@Mathew98 just got mine installed and insisted on a test before the electrician left. Of course it was "upside down" so I had him turn it around :-)
Looking forward to charging 7 times faster than yesterday.

Juts a reminder that what we call in US "single phase" it's actually TWO (2) 120VAC single phases.

In the United States, the electrical power lines going to residential streets and roads are operated around 2400VAC. Then there is a pole transformer with a 10-to-1 step-down ratio, providing 240 volts to the houses. The transformers also have a center tap to provide 120 volts from each 240-volt leg to the center point. This center point tap also provides a grounding connection.

There is no 208-250VAC "single phase" unless you get a step-down transformer special set-up from 2400your electrical power company.

The electrician knows that but it may be confusing some times.

Other countries do get 220VAC between one hot line to neutral.

hock1

The specification sheet is available below. It includes a picture of the outlet that shows the correct orientation of the round ground receptacle. I suggest you point this out to your electrician so he/she doesn't have to re-do it after following usual practice.

http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/downloads/universalmobile...

There are full details over at TMC in this thread: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/archive/index.php/t-12615.html

You'll find links to it and a host of other info in my Model S delivery checklist

X Deutschland Site Besuchen