Forum

Unisciti allacomunità
REGISTRAZIONEAccedi

For the Tesla Gen III, what 100 new features would you like to imagine or see available ?

Teslarians, what futuristic, hitech, game changer, ultra green, uber-cool, alto safety, mass production friendly, cost reducing, profit increasing features should Tesla's next generation, Gen III, vehicle have ? Also include Model C, S & X.

Whether large or small, simple or complex, technical or not, what are your ideas ?

To get started, here are some thoughts:

1) Put see through glass Tesla Shield  
   on hood  made of painted glass. The
   shield and letter T are left clear glass 
   and shows off the frunk by day. At 
   night a Hue light , with millions of 
   color variations can can be turn on 
   inside the frunk to light up the shield 
   and T during night driving. 

http://www.meethue.com/en-US

2) Have detachable Household AC plug  
 battery  packs near base of seats  
 powered by solar panels on roof.

3) Anti crash system stops car from
  running into things. Qualifies for   
  insurance discount?

4) Retractable semi-opaque, tinted sun
 visors controlled by button on
 steering wheel similar to pulling down  
 a window shade electronically. It's 
 more functional because it allows the 
 driver to control visor on driver's 
 window, passenger window, and both 
 sides of the windshield. Could this be the world's best sun visor?

5) Have all wheels turn to 90 degrees,
  great for parallel parking. Have car
  capable of self parking.

6) Create @tesla/talk.car Internet
    extension  for car related services 
    only to compliment .com sites. 

The .car extensions have voice only interface, with limited button pushing similar to a radio, no texting except through voice to text.

7) Shape the red tail lights as close
  as possible to the Tesla T Logo.
  Red led lights across bumper under
  the plate spell out Tesla Motors EV
  and highlight when brakes applied.

8) Equip Gen III with two sliding doors
  or 4 regular doors. To create
  easier access the opening door
  includes 1/3 of the roof. Also press a
  button in the door jamb to slide the
  front seats forward.

A variation of this, have 1/3 strip of 
   roof retract toward the center of the 
   roof when you open the door.

9 ) NFD Near Field Discounts auction.
  Type in lunch etc. 5 miles distance, 
  2hrs for exa and nearby Merchants 
  continuously update bids against  
  each other on giving you    
  discounts for lunch.

10) KeyPay/CarPal digitized keychain 
      can be used to pay electronically, 
      and receits  are tagged& organized 
      into personal & business categories 
      for taxes. Syncs with smartphone 
      app and car consol to store info on the web.

11) Computerized self parking, both 
      back in and parallel .

Timo

You could say Apple's iPhone followed the same logic, it was just the result of the best of a lot of things already available being bundled together like massive phone storage, computer speed chips, widgets called apps, best in screen resolution, computer style operating system, simple scrolling, even pinch & zoom had been around for years. The iPhone was simply the best of everything all thrown together. It was all simple logical progression.

That said why didn't Rimm or Samsung do it first ? They were certainly capable. The answer I guess includes things like no one made them, and they were stuck in a way of doing things that required expertise, but was much simpler strategy to execute and they thought they new what the consumer wanted: buttons and flip phones, confusing symbols, lousy screens, and even worse internet pages that Jobs called "the baby internet".

And that worked until Steve jobs "told" consumers what they wanted: a computer experience in a phone, the same web experience as on their computer, etc, etc and all these things were not new but leading edge with one innovation, a touchscreen keypad on the display, worked with your finger, not a stylus or buttons, and that made the whole thing work. Was it futuristic ?

Well yes and no. The touchscreen was really just a creative, redesigned, ballsy couple of steps forward in general direction technology allowed them to go, its part of the 10% true futuristic innovation of the iPhone. Most people have a hard time just seeing the next progression, fewer still can weave a bunch of leading edge tech into a masterful design. And the holy grail is coming up with the few true innovations that really make it all come together and look futuristic.

Ironically, that's the wrap on Apple's iPhone today, they are just following incremental, logical progression and not coming out with anything more futuristic. If Appl is successful into turning the iPhone partially into a wristwatch and synergising it with athletic apparel and other new features, that may change.

So I agree with you, the Gen III will probably be a shorter MS with incremental improvements thrown in to keep the appeal up and cost down. But if Tesla wants to keep the mojo going, they will have to come up with some futuristic innovations as well. The next 20 Tesla models will tell the tale of where Tesla is headed, fame or flame.

Futuristic ideas are like flame retardant for tech companies.

BrianH

Here's an appetizer for you, I mentioned this already. I think it would be great if the Tesla cars had a battery terminal that allowed ice car jumper cables to be attached to it. I think it would be great publicity to see Tesla cars giving dead battery ice cars a jump start.

1) Add 4G Internet

2) Add "Siri" functionality, where you can ask, "route the quickest way to work considering traffic" or "what is the wait time at the holland tunnel". Instead of "Siri" call it "Kitt" for Kinetically Interfaced Trip Telecomputer.

3) add kinect sensors and internal cams, with face recognition, so that on board computer recognizes drivers and passengers. Therefore no need to select "driver" from center console in order to adjust mirrors, seat, etc.

4) "Kitt" customizes driver experience, media stations, language settings, etc based on detected driver. Turns passenger airbags on or off based scanned passenger size.

5) "Kitt" interfaces with "Siri".
For example, "Tell Siri, to remind me to call Bob at 5pm today."
Siri can also relay a messages and notifications through "Kitt". For example, when prompted by Siri, Kitt would say: "Siri, would like to remind you to pick up the dry cleaning today" or "Since you are in the neighborhood, Siri would like to remind you to drop off the package at FedEx" or "Siri, has a message for you from Bob. It says: Running 10 minutes late."

6) License out the Knight Rider voice as an option, for those of us who remember that "Kitt" was suppose to be one of the first cutting edge alternative fuel vehicles (liquid hydrogen). :)

Tesluthian;
Don't be fooled by the combo of big storage and a 12V battery. The actual 12V is small; think motorcycle battery. With slow access to the drive battery. Could you jump a car with a motorcycle? I don't wanna stand too close when you try.

Tesluthian:

Let's look at the iPhone analogy.

The iPhone was not "invented". Apple already had the highly successful iPod Touch, with most of the features - adding cellular radio was a no-brainer.

RIM and Samsung had their own share of the market, and just like the ICE makers today, they didn't want to cannibalize that by a new product. The argument was "iPhone - no keyboard, no good", and many mobile phone users were to agree. (see where RIM is now...)

However, the iPhone in it's basic purpose functions just as any other phone, just better, with a bunch of additional features carried from the iPod. It doesn't send neuro-waves to your brain, or dial on thought, or display a life-size 3D image... (at least not yet). And although priced above the competition, it was within the reach of the average mobile phone user.

Gen III in it's basic purpose needs to function just like any other family car, priced just around there, with the added benefits of the EV drive. There may be a variant that can haul washers and lumber, or one that goes 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, or one that can carry 9 people... but not all of the models need to do all of the things at the same time.

Having said that, it may not be bad to have Mr. Fusion on board. :-P

"The argument was "iPhone - no keyboard, no good", and many mobile phone users were to agree."

I still agree to that. In a phone I like to have proper keys. Touchscreen is good for everything except typing. Arguably my E51 was better phone than my current Lumia 800.

@Tiebreaker | FEBRUARY 22, 2013: The iPhone was not "invented". Apple already had the highly successful iPod Touch, with most of the features - adding cellular radio was a no-brainer.

Unrelated to the thread, but the iPhone came first not the iPod touch. Check it out at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Apple_Inc._products

Alex is correct. The iPhone was first. The iPod Touch was a derivative.

What's interesting though is that internally, the iPad was first. Though much thicker and heavier than the eventually marketed iPad. It was on their prototype pad devices that they developed the touch UI, and then they applied that to the phone project.

@Alex K, @danielccc - Thank you for the correction. The iPod become quickly so prevalent in my family that my memory of the sequence is reversed. Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that the iPhone in it's basic purpose functions just as any other phone...

Celebrating 100th comment by agreeing with someone. Ideas herein should be highly desirable to insanely desirable. The 17 inch display +, is insanely desirable & helps sell the car, keep it for the Gen III. Highly desirable, like Timo said is 4WD, especially places like northern Europe, U.S. etc., should be an option for Gen III.

Not all ideas herein will meet this desirability standard or other standards. Even so, that doesn't mean they can't be listed or discussed. In fact I encourage that. Perhaps those ideas will be right for some distant future models.

Sure keep the cost down, with mass production, MS compatible parts, etc., but not at the cost of losing desirability to drive sales to at least the 50k/yr level & beyond. Or to put it differently, "Don't take the Tesla out of Tesla with the Gen III platform models."

Tesla- ness is like the smart-ness in smartphones, what are smartphones ? Not just a phone; but, also a computer in your pocket as well. Take away the computer part of the smartphone and you lose a lot of desirability.

That said, I'm not suggesting keep everything in the Gen III from the MS. I think you could eliminate the auto-open handles with equally aerodynamic manuel ones for the Gen III. This to speed manufacturing, lower cost, and improve door opening performance.

Concas,

Some excellent ideas, I'd like to expand on your comment number three:
3) add kinect sensors and internal cams, with face recognition, so onboard computers, recognize drivers and
passengers. Therefore...(automatically) [sic], adjusts mirrors, seats etc.

I think this has lots of potential, since it could also be a revenue generator for Tesla. A third party could have a kit with wireless, blue tooth cams, & an app that is approved by Tesla with access to the dash screens for the 3rd party app display. Tesla would get a percent of the sale of the kit and app. By using the third party app system, any Tesla going forward can be upgraded at any time, and not slow down production.

Basically you combined two things unrelated or combined before, good creativity. And I believe the system could be expanded to other services.

How about security ? You could adjust the facial recognition system to only allow certain pre-approved people to drive the car, making it impossible to steal the car. Maybe even get an insurance discount ?

There could be lots of these third party apps. And if some of them became insanely desirable, Tesla could make it standard on some models. The other 3 rd party party apps in the Eco-system help create value for the car, similar to the smartphone apps.

BrianH

I'll defer to your expertise on an EV giving a battery jump to an ICE.

Next tidbit: How about a special charge cord that allows one Tesla car to charge another Tesla car ? Is that technically possible ? Someone out of charge may be able to use the Tesla car system to put out an alert or SOS to all other Teslas in the area who have that car app.

Also I can see Tow Truck Operators buying Teslas to go out and give EV charges with this cord. The rest of the time the wife can drive the Tesla.

Three urgent wishes for Model S, that would match the image of up to date technology:
- distance control and lane assistant (as known from Mercedes Benz).
- head up display.
- motorized frunk, because now you spoil your hands and cloths when you open it after a rainy day.

And one must in this category, please:
- a functional trunk cover, e.g. as roller blind. The actual cardboard thing is sliding around and falling into the trunk when handled. Go and buy one from a German car and copy it. Thanks!

Nevertheless, the Model S is a tremendous car that makes all the gas cars look very old.

@Tesluthian
the charge pot is already there to 'jump start" any EV car
- from car to car you would need a converter, either from battery DC to 240V AC or from discharge DC up-convert to charge DC. I don't think the car has all the components needed build in, so a simple cable wouldn't do, you would need a substantial ($) converter box outside.
- a tow track could either have a big 240V AC generator or a big battery pack for DC quick charging. The problem is more about the numerous standards. As far as I know AAA is already experimenting with that idea.

Kleist

Well at least good to hear triple AAA is working on it. That leaves prevention as the best medicine. Some kind of icon on the 17" screen for help on charging batteries on long trips, long trip planning, and cold weather tips & precautions might help.

Of course Tesla R&D might come up with something, Tesla is spending 200 million a year on R&D aren't they?

ChristophErni

I agree on Model S. I especially like the motorized or pop up frunk idea. Seems like it should be easy enough to do and add to the key functions. For some of the other ideas, too bad they can't have them in after market kits of some form.

I would think a list of all EV approved HOV lanes would prove popular. Plus have these HOV lanes approved for EVs, color coded on the maps. It's one of the nice perks of EV's that a lot of people don't know about yet.

Maybe even position some of these Super Charger stations to take advantage of these HOV's for EV's. And I like to see some journalist car testers do HOV runs in a Tesla. The time saved in traffic might more than offset Super Charger time.

I just joined today, have desired an EV for decades, and will be placing my reservation for an "S" soon. My father was a mechanical engineer/international patent attorney litigator. He tinkered with designs for an EV in the 1960's using the onboard generator concept because we only had lead acid batteries then. This is similiar to the Chevrolet Volt and the Cadillac will have its EV within a year. Named the ELR, it will be more attractive and luxurious than the Volt. The complete absense of range anxiety is the big draw and it will thereby will be considerable competition to the Tesla. It is the sheer practicallity of the model.

My father's design encorporated an alcohol fueled steam turbine engine to power the generator. He said it would be cleaner, much lighter in weight, and have few moving parts. Alcohol is renewable. Alcohol does not go bad in the tank if not used for a long period of time. It is not explosive like gasoline. It can be used as a heating fuel for the cabin if desired. The small generator is only there as a backup system, and needs to have just four or five gallons of fuel onboard.

I am curious as to the concensus of the Tesla community regarding the viability of this notion, and if it is positive, whether Tesla would be the organization to bring such a revolution to the automotive arena? In addition to innovating the better battery, battery charger, and electric motor, why not a revolutionary breakthrough in the generator. Tesla has the market and motivation to make such a concept viable. My father had models of prototypes in his office made out of aluminum that weighed 10 pounds and designed put out 100 horse power. Unfortunately they were non working models; this was 50 years ago! Is this dream approachable today?

I realize that Tesla is putting considerable investment in the charging stations and an onboard generator negates some of the need for these stations. However, the generator adds cost and weight, and subtracts space from the car.

I am looking forward to hear from you.

KentDC@gmail.com

A solar roof panel is not a good option because of the limited area, but what about a trailer hitch and a trailer with a fold-out solar panel that could be deployed in the field on a sunny day to recharge the car if the driver wants to venture far from any recharging stations? Might take a couple of days for a full recharge, but that is better than a tow truck.

The trailer could also carry a generator, fuel cells, windmill, or other electricity-gathering devices.

The idea would be to have a vehicle that can operate off-grid.

As I understand it, the current model does not allow for installation of a trailer hitch. Is this correct? If so, it is a needed fix.

SunOne,

Glad to hear your finally getting your EV wish. Your dad sounds like a pretty cool idea guy. I 'm sure he's got a really good patent on his design. Alcohol is a good fuel, race car drivers use it, and it's used in a variety of ways , see link:

http://energyquest.ca.gov/transportation/alcohols.html

However your design sounds like an HEV or Hebrid Electrical Vehicle application, where the engine drives the electric motor. Unfortunately, Elon is on record as to his desire to stay with BEV concept or Batttey Electric Vehical. So anyone making hybrids, might have an interest. Don't forget other countries, Brazil is already big on alcohol, but they probably haven't electrified yet.

Willie Nelson recently had a small biofuel plant and biofuel station go bust in Carl's Corners, Tx. Although I think he was smart enough to have investors take the hit. Rumor is it was mismanaged. Maybe he's ready to make the Willie-mobile next ? Who knows it might be a million dollar idea. There may be several million dollar ideas in this thread. A professor once told me thinking up the solution is only 50% of the work, implementing it is the only 50%.

On your other comment, agree the Cadillac EV hybrid will be some new competition for Tesla, so I hope they get that supercharger think rolling fast !

Jon_Roland

You know for the right platform, sitting around for a couple of days, using solar panel chargers might be the perfect solution. I can think of two right now, campers/hikers and RV owners. For the campers add a tent to the trailer. But your right, Tesla needs to get a hitch first. The energy trailer could be an option then.

Of course, some day Tesla might come out with an RV platform. And retired RV people would love free energy through solar etc. while they hang out.

Getting back to the Northeastern debacle, how about a 50%-75% discount on your tolls for EV's, if you get EZ pass for your vehicle ? Would cost the states very little to promote EV's and would be great for people who have to drive toll roads.

Tesla should come out with a heavy version of their platforms to increase milage between charges 75% to 100%. For exa. the Model S Heavy platform would get an EPA rated 500 miles a charge. Tesla really needs to work on this range rage anxiety induced, discombobulated conundrum, wrapped in an enigma and soaked in fear. Or what most people call long distance driving. Continuing on.

With the Gen III platform price & range, here's one possibility I see:
1) Regular Gen III platform price--$29,999 after rebates (Federal & State).
A) Range 220 miles
2) The Heavy Gen III platform price--$39,999 after rebates (Federal & State).
A) Range 440 miles

This fits nicely under the current starting prices of the current Model S. I really can't see Tesla getting their prices down to the low 20's untill they are selling over 100 thousand cars a year, which would give them lower material costs.

Correction, that's hybrid, not hebrid. Sorry about that.

Correction the professor quote should read:
..."thinking up the solution is only 50% of the work, implementing the solution is the OTHER 50%."

Hmmm... maybe it's time to hit the sack

Darn found another correction:
"...so I hope they get their super charger THING rolling fast!"

This one I think was the auto correct.

SunOne;
shortly after reserving, please return and report the reservation number (last 5 digits) you receive, and the date. We will make much hay from it; "newbie" buyers haven't been finding their way to the forums much in 2013, and every data point is precious!

A couple ideas:
First, it would be fantastic to be able to sync the car to your mp3 player and store your music in the car to listen to at any time
Also, how about a solar powered temp control system in the car to keep it warm in the winter and cool in the summer without using any battery power when the vehicle is parked but not plugged in

There is very little sunshine in garages.

Typically you'd have your car plugged in in the garage. If not, you could park on the top, or if underneath, your car will stay cool in the summer anyway. They're also typically warmer than parking outside in the winter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_BlueStar

Tesla BlueStar
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The Tesla BlueStar is the proposed third generation electric car to be manufactured by Tesla Motors, with a production goal of 2015.[1] Tesla intends the car to have a price of around US$30,000.[2][3] Technology from Tesla's Model S line may also make its way into the BlueStar line. [4] "It would be quite similar to the Model S but scaled down."[5] Although the Model S is generally a standard looking car, the third generation vehicle will have more distinctive style. [6]

The company had plans for the BlueStar as part of its trickle-down strategy, where the battery and electric drivetrain technology would be developed and paid for through sales of the Tesla Roadster and Tesla Model S vehicles.[7][8] The BlueStar line is being co-developed with the Model X, an SUV variant of

X Deutschland Site Besuchen